U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-28-2017, 11:55 AM
 
Location: Montreal -> CT -> MA -> Montreal -> Ottawa
16,993 posts, read 27,367,457 times
Reputation: 27499

Advertisements

Hi guys,

I consider myself to be pretty tech-savvy (I've been working for the mega-IT company whose name rhymes with Nabisco [and now I want cookies] for almost 10 years) but I'm feeling a little stumped by this and I don't want to re-invent the wheel. I have three laptops but I've never had a tablet before, so I'm lost in that market. I'm hoping that you can help me.

I'm an avid reader and currently have:

- A Kindle (It's American-born and I buy books from Amazon.com. No problem.)
- A Kobo (That's the de facto Canadian e-reader. You can only download from a Canadian library in EPUB format, and the Kobo reads that format, unlike the Kindle. I think that you can do some gymnastics to *make* the Kindle read EPUBs, but I'm too lazy for that.)

What I'd like to do is this:
- Get rid of the Kindle.
- Get rid of the Kobo.
+ Get a tablet that can read Kindle (.azw) files as well as EPUB files.

Can someone recommend such a tablet?

In terms of specs, I'd prefer:
- It not to be back-lit (I like the eInk of my Kindle) but I *think* that all tablets are back-lit by design and that eInk is strictly an e-reader "thing."
- Android (simply because that's what I'm used to on my phone).
- The main thing: Can read Kindle (.azw) files as well as EPUB files. I think that I'd just need to install the Kindle app to read .azw files, but I'm not sure. And I don't know what's required to read DRM-locked EPUB files that I'd get from my library.

Any help that you can offer will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-28-2017, 04:44 PM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ > Raleigh, NC
15,474 posts, read 19,695,589 times
Reputation: 25242
I read kindle books on my Samsung tablet using the kindle app. Did this previously on my ancient Vizio. I can store the books on my SD card in the tablet.

Is there any reason this wouldn't work for you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2017, 04:54 PM
 
Location: Montreal -> CT -> MA -> Montreal -> Ottawa
16,993 posts, read 27,367,457 times
Reputation: 27499
That should work, absolutely. That's what I thought. It's back-lit (not eInk) but I'm not surprised about that.

But... can you read EPUB files on it? What about DRM-locked (from the library) EPUB files?

I want a device (tablet) that will do both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2017, 07:43 PM
 
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
11,849 posts, read 13,976,351 times
Reputation: 8083
I have no idea what IT Company rhymes with Nabisco. lol

Any Android tablet can do what you want. And there are 10 different ways to do it. Kindle app for Kindle stuff, obviously. There are a ton of way to get books, including audio books, from your library with an Android or even Apple tablet. Just a smidgen easier with Android. Not to mention dedicated EPUB readers for those types f files acquired somewhere else.

You have an Android phone: look in the Play Store for EPUB. GO to your library website. Any decent one will clearly tell you which methods they prefer you to use. There's always an Android/Apple option. Kobo is kind of a knock off cheapie here in the states.

Highly recommend one of the name brands: Asus or Samsung.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2017, 08:23 PM
 
Location: Montreal -> CT -> MA -> Montreal -> Ottawa
16,993 posts, read 27,367,457 times
Reputation: 27499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I have no idea what IT Company rhymes with Nabisco. lol

Any Android tablet can do what you want. And there are 10 different ways to do it. Kindle app for Kindle stuff, obviously. There are a ton of way to get books, including audio books, from your library with an Android or even Apple tablet. Just a smidgen easier with Android. Not to mention dedicated EPUB readers for those types f files acquired somewhere else.

You have an Android phone: look in the Play Store for EPUB. GO to your library website. Any decent one will clearly tell you which methods they prefer you to use. There's always an Android/Apple option. Kobo is kind of a knock off cheapie here in the states.

Highly recommend one of the name brands: Asus or Samsung.
Ahhhhh, thank you!!!! Cisco (that's the company ) would be so disappointed to see my lack of knowledge on this front.

Okay, got it. Android is Android is Android. I just looked on my phone in the Play Store. Tons of EPUB readers. Go know. I looked on my library -- on the OverDrive page -- and, yup, instructions for downloading to an Android device. I'd never looked before... shame on me. Of course it doesn't care what kind of device it is -- phone, tablet, abacus -- as long as it has the EPUB reader app and of course that ADE (Adobe Digital Editions) is registered on that device too.

I guess that I'm going to get stuck with it being back-lit (glare!) because that's the essence of being a tablet -- it's a mini-laptop, not just an e-reader that you can choose to get in eInk. Fair enough. It is what it is.

I hate the Kobo. When I moved back to Canada from the U.S., I brought my precious Kindle thinking that I could get library books on it. Sucks to be me -- Canadian libraries only offer their books in EPUB. So I had to buy a Kobo. Blech. That's why I want to get a tablet -- so I can ditch the Kobo (and the Kindle, really) and read, no matter what the format, on one device.

Thanks, too, for the Asus and Samsung tips. i'll definitely keep that in mind when I start my search.

Great info, Peregrine. Much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2017, 11:19 AM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ > Raleigh, NC
15,474 posts, read 19,695,589 times
Reputation: 25242
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
That should work, absolutely. That's what I thought. It's back-lit (not eInk) but I'm not surprised about that.

But... can you read EPUB files on it? What about DRM-locked (from the library) EPUB files?

I want a device (tablet) that will do both.
I do it all the time using the software suggested by my library. In my case, it's an app called Overdrive. Lots of epub apps available.

One SERIOUS downside to using a tablet as a bookreader: you can't really use it in the sun. Everytime we take a cruise, I have to being paperbacks. My friends with kindles are fine. BTW some libraries have titles available in kindle format.

PS buy the tablet carefully from someplace with a good return policy so you'll have time to try it out. Like Costco. I've had two Samsung and love them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2017, 11:31 AM
 
Location: Montreal -> CT -> MA -> Montreal -> Ottawa
16,993 posts, read 27,367,457 times
Reputation: 27499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I do it all the time using the software suggested by my library. In my case, it's an app called Overdrive. Lots of epub apps available.

One SERIOUS downside to using a tablet as a bookreader: you can't really use it in the sun. Everytime we take a cruise, I have to being paperbacks. My friends with kindles are fine. BTW some libraries have titles available in kindle format.

PS buy the tablet carefully from someplace with a good return policy so you'll have time to try it out. Like Costco. I've had two Samsung and love them
It's not the sun that's a concern -- it's just that I'm on a laptop all day and I find the eInk of my e-readers relaxing. But, yeah, any tablet is going to be back-lit so I'll either have to suck it up or keep using two e-readers.

ALL libraries in Canada ONLY have EPUB format -- none are Kindle format in this country. Sucks!

Good advice re: Costco. I'll definitely be careful so that I can go home, test to my heart's content, and retun if necessary. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2017, 01:15 PM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ > Raleigh, NC
15,474 posts, read 19,695,589 times
Reputation: 25242
Costco runs regular sales on Samsung. And you don't need a fancy one. Seven or eight inch without 4G should run $150-200 max.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2017, 01:28 PM
 
Location: Montreal -> CT -> MA -> Montreal -> Ottawa
16,993 posts, read 27,367,457 times
Reputation: 27499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Costco runs regular sales on Samsung. And you don't need a fancy one. Seven or eight inch without 4G should run $150-200 max.
This is Canada. Remember the price of the Kewpie mayo? The tablet will likely be $17 gazillion dollars. Hahaha! Just kidding. I looked on Costco's Canadian website. I see some good ones that range in price from about $110 to $350. The one that's most appealing is $240. It's "Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8 in. Wi-Fi Tablet | Quad Core." First trip to Costco in Ottawa will have that on the list.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2017, 03:24 PM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ > Raleigh, NC
15,474 posts, read 19,695,589 times
Reputation: 25242
I have Samsung Tab A. No idea if it's quad core, but unless your streaming, I don't THINK that's necessary. Love the thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:35 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top