U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 09:43 AM

15,476 posts, read 19,699,311 times

Advertisements

This is one of the reasons we never buy top of the line, all the bells and whistles, stuff. Not appliances, phones, TV, computers, mattresses, cars. None of it. All midline stuff, sometimes even a little below that.

When it breaks, we replace. Fixing it just means it's gonna break again. Except cars - the rule there, usually, is ten years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first.

I still miss the maytag washer and dryer I bough at a scratch and dent sale in 1991. I heard from the folks that bought my house in 2012 that the washer still worked but the dryer died in 2010.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2017, 10:54 AM

25,418 posts, read 11,269,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
This might not sound like a direct answer, but invest in a whole house surge protector. The changes from electro-mechanical components, which are robust, to electronic control circuitry, which can be damaged by surges, means more failures.
Just out of curiosity, why don't major appliances have a built-in surge protector?

Old 05-09-2017, 11:09 AM

18,592 posts, read 55,510,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
This is one of the reasons we never buy top of the line, all the bells and whistles, stuff. Not appliances, phones, TV, computers, mattresses, cars. None of it. All midline stuff, sometimes even a little below that.

When it breaks, we replace. Fixing it just means it's gonna break again. Except cars - the rule there, usually, is ten years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first.

I still miss the maytag washer and dryer I bough at a scratch and dent sale in 1991. I heard from the folks that bought my house in 2012 that the washer still worked but the dryer died in 2010.
Smart move. The one that gets me scratching my head are the people who buy the super-expensive dishwashers. Have they ever actually looked INSIDE where the cleaning is being done to see if there is any meaningful difference? Unless there is a crew of hamsters with scrub brushes hidden inside that I'm unaware of, they all use the same concepts and designs for cleaning.

Old 05-09-2017, 01:01 PM

2,909 posts, read 1,709,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Just out of curiosity, why don't major appliances have a built-in surge protector?
These days most things do. It's pretty cheap, at most a few bucks, to build it in to a power supply. It can literally be a small device that connects across the line voltage power cord - same thing as used in a surge suppressing power strip.

Old 05-09-2017, 06:28 PM

138 posts, read 120,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Already answered in a post that also describes what was routinely in facilities that cannot have damage - even 100 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by westom View Post
Best protection at each appliance is already inside. Concern is for rare transients (maybe once every seven years) that might overwhelm that protection.
Now, if a protector is too close to appliances and too far from earth ground, then existing, robust, internal protection may even be compromised.

BTW, protectors across the line do not protect from the other and typically destructive surge. The words protector and protection describe two completely different solutions. Never assume an appliance with effective protection contains protectors.

Old 05-09-2017, 06:44 PM

39,977 posts, read 57,815,785 times
I don't know any appliance that would last only 4 years - except someone buys a cheap crap made somewhere in Asia.
If you buy quality AND take care of it, it will last.
I have some appliances I wish would give up on me, so I could buy something a little newer, a little better, a little sooner than is necessary
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee,
Minnesota, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 05-10-2017, 02:53 PM

25,418 posts, read 11,269,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Smart move. The one that gets me scratching my head are the people who buy the super-expensive dishwashers. Have they ever actually looked INSIDE where the cleaning is being done to see if there is any meaningful difference? Unless there is a crew of hamsters with scrub brushes hidden inside that I'm unaware of, they all use the same concepts and designs for cleaning.
I feel that way about clothes washers. Last one I bought they put the pressure on to sell me one with well over 20 settings, but I held fast because -- even as a 67 year old -- I've never used more than a couple of basic settings. Some people fall for anything.

Old 05-10-2017, 03:01 PM

2,909 posts, read 1,709,430 times
I think they do all those washer settings only because they can, and marketing thinks some suckers will buy into a "need" that should not exist.

Think of it: 3 wash settings x 3 wash temps x 3 rinse temps x 2 spin settings. That's 54 combinations right there! And separate switches are sooo hard to do...

Old 05-10-2017, 06:56 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
30,885 posts, read 56,300,624 times
Turned out that the dryer needed a $30 part, the heat sensor, and it cost another $140 to diagnose and replace. The dishwasher needed a new fill float valve unit, all one piece, large and over $400 to replace part and labor. I've already taken it out to the porch and bought a new one to be delivered next week. The tech recommended Whirpool, which according to the sticker on it, is made in the USA. We found one on sale for almost $300 off, so it cost less than repairing the old one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics