Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 04:12 PM

1,167 posts, read 2,389,819 times

Advertisements

I have a Toshiba 40L3400U LED television that I purchased in 2014. I use it regularly to view YouTube and listen to Pandora. Today, I thought I might check out signing up for Netflix. I had entered the application before (usually by accident), so I know it loaded not all that long ago.

Today, when I try to load it, I get an error message saying that the application cannot connect to the Netflix server. My first thought was out of date software, but when I check Toshiba for updates, it says there are no outstanding updates.

Any thoughts on what might be causing this? It definitely is not my WiFi, as YouTube and Pandora still work fine.

Since I have not used Netflix in the past, is it possible that caused it to get outdated and now I am SOL?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2017, 08:48 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,666,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdc58 View Post
Since I have not used Netflix in the past, is it possible that caused it to get outdated and now I am SOL?
Yes, outdated OS and limited internal RAM for update retention. I have a few older Smart devices that when it comes to Netflix, it comes up with the same error. They are Sony & Samsung. They are both around the five year old mark. They worked fine when they were new, then within a few years they starting losings their logins and then finally lost their ability to connect to Netflix. Contacted manufacturers and got runaround with useless reset codes that did nothing. Each room currently has a Roku as Netflix is it's primary app.

Old 05-15-2017, 07:35 AM

16,503 posts, read 19,579,663 times
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/90....html?page=118

Old 05-15-2017, 12:45 PM

142 posts, read 96,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Yes, outdated OS and limited internal RAM for update retention. I have a few older Smart devices that when it comes to Netflix, it comes up with the same error. They are Sony & Samsung. They are both around the five year old mark. They worked fine when they were new, then within a few years they starting losings their logins and then finally lost their ability to connect to Netflix. Contacted manufacturers and got runaround with useless reset codes that did nothing. Each room currently has a Roku as Netflix is it's primary app.
Hmmm, you and OP tried deleting the app giving you trouble and reinstalling it? I only use youtube app on my smart tv and that's what I do when it stop working. Either that or reinstall the smart hub that one always works.

Old 05-15-2017, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwisita View Post
Hmmm, you and OP tried deleting the app giving you trouble and reinstalling it? I only use youtube app on my smart tv and that's what I do when it stop working. Either that or reinstall the smart hub that one always works.
Smart TVs are similar to Tablets. At some uncertain time the OS won't upgrade anymore thus not allowing some apps to upgrade anymore. Smart devices seem to reach End of Life faster than Tablets do.

Old 05-16-2017, 05:27 PM

1,167 posts, read 2,389,819 times
I resolved the issue by going into the App Setup menu and "de-activating" Netflix (requiring it to "reactivate"). This solved the problem.

Old 05-16-2017, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdc58 View Post
I resolved the issue by going into the App Setup menu and "de-activating" Netflix (requiring it to "reactivate"). This solved the problem.
I had gone that direction also, but more severe by going online and de-activating everything in my account. Didn't help.

Old 05-16-2017, 10:26 PM

142 posts, read 96,986 times
Quote:
I had gone that direction also, but more severe by going online and de-activating everything in my account. Didn't help.
Try setting up your smarthub again like you just bought it in your Samsung. That's how I fix the youtube suddenly not working on mine.

Old 05-16-2017, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwisita View Post
Try setting up your smarthub again like you just bought it in your Samsung. That's how I fix the youtube suddenly not working on mine.
It's a moot point. The devices have already been replaced (upgraded to 4k).

Old 05-18-2017, 07:07 AM

5,920 posts, read 6,433,250 times
Quote:
It's a moot point. The devices have already been replaced (upgraded to 4k).
WOW! Seems like an expensive fix, but congrats on the new TV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics