U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-05-2017, 08:07 AM
 
550 posts, read 293,105 times
Reputation: 215

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
There is free content on Roku. But not Hulu, Netflix, etc.

This is some of the free stuff you can get on Roku.
Thank you! That's quite a bit. So I would get the Roku, add the channel and have that content? Do the shows air at the same time like a regular tv?

You said there is a cloud dvr for that? Does that mean it gets stored in the TV? This may sound silly, but is there a standalone dvr box that works with Roku/Sling tv? I know a long time ago TiVo were all the rage, but we never had one and I wasn't that aware of what it did.

You have been so helpful
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-05-2017, 08:11 AM
 
Location: Norfolk, VA
6,502 posts, read 6,263,025 times
Reputation: 3693
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyellowbug View Post
I did not know that ABC was a part owner of Hulu. I did just check and saw they had the last season of Greys. I know Netflix has the older seasons if I wanted to binge watch old ones. I knew Lucifer is on Hulu. It sounds more like I should get Hulu with my Netflix. Do most Hulu shows pop up the day after the episode airs?

Right now my family still had Directv and I could always stream MTV and ID discovery shows from that account. I saw you have that option to sign in with your provider for ID discovery.
Hulu is next day after it airs. Netflix is an entire season at once, but not the last season, but the season before. So Netflix probably has up to Season 12 of Greys. Then when Season 14 starts, Netflix will put up all of Season 13.

What I found is that what Hulu and Netflix creates/produces is often more interesting than the shows they carry programming rights for. I watch about 80% original content and 20% licensed content. In the early days original content wasn't that great, especially on Hulu, but the last year or two has been great. Since I've been away for a minute, a lot of these shows are already on their 5th or 6th season.

Yes, you could use your Direct TV password and login and watch whatever you want on Roku. Just install ABC and Fox to the Roku, log in and not pay anything additional. Or install those apps to your iPhone, log in, and use a Chromecast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2017, 08:15 AM
 
Location: Norfolk, VA
6,502 posts, read 6,263,025 times
Reputation: 3693
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyellowbug View Post
Thank you! That's quite a bit. So I would get the Roku, add the channel and have that content? Do the shows air at the same time like a regular tv?

You said there is a cloud dvr for that? Does that mean it gets stored in the TV? This may sound silly, but is there a standalone dvr box that works with Roku/Sling tv? I know a long time ago TiVo were all the rage, but we never had one and I wasn't that aware of what it did.

You have been so helpful
TiVo is an old way of doing things. Especially now that Cox, Comcast, and Time Warner have their own apps. If you want a hard copy and you like it that way TiVo might be good but it's a lot easier to just store it in the cloud. But I'm sure that Direct TV has some other service that facilitates this.

Shows only air at the same time if they carry live programming in your area. Cloud DVR means that it is stored on the internet somewhere, not at your residence. Roku is just hardware that allows you to access the cloud to get your programming online.

It can be very confusing, but I'm happy to help. Hopefully this helps anyone else that is looking for more information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2017, 08:24 AM
 
550 posts, read 293,105 times
Reputation: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
TiVo is an old way of doing things. Especially now that Cox, Comcast, and Time Warner have their own apps. If you want a hard copy and you like it that way TiVo might be good but it's a lot easier to just store it in the cloud. But I'm sure that Direct TV has some other service that facilitates this.

Shows only air at the same time if they carry live programming in your area. Cloud DVR means that it is stored on the internet somewhere, not at your residence. Roku is just hardware that allows you to access the cloud to get your programming online.

It can be very confusing, but I'm happy to help. Hopefully this helps anyone else that is looking for more information.
My apartment sadly doesn't allow DirecTv or I would have just gotten them because we have mostly good experiences. Same with Comcast/Verizon not in the area. They have two other providers that I am not too use too. I believe it's Armstrong and Consolidated.

So if I had any of the Roku/Sling would the TiVo work? With our directTV it's not hooked up to the Internet so we have the DVR Box. We can do the two shows at a time for set space.

With the cloud dvr...how does it work? Does it save to my smart tv to watch? If the internet goes out I take it I can't watch my dvr shows.

So without the live TV I would need the app for like Fox and Abc to get the shows and they would be at different times?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2017, 08:26 AM
 
550 posts, read 293,105 times
Reputation: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Hulu is next day after it airs. Netflix is an entire season at once, but not the last season, but the season before. So Netflix probably has up to Season 12 of Greys. Then when Season 14 starts, Netflix will put up all of Season 13.

What I found is that what Hulu and Netflix creates/produces is often more interesting than the shows they carry programming rights for. I watch about 80% original content and 20% licensed content. In the early days original content wasn't that great, especially on Hulu, but the last year or two has been great. Since I've been away for a minute, a lot of these shows are already on their 5th or 6th season.

Yes, you could use your Direct TV password and login and watch whatever you want on Roku. Just install ABC and Fox to the Roku, log in and not pay anything additional. Or install those apps to your iPhone, log in, and use a Chromecast.
Sounds like Hulu and Netflix might be the winners for now. I see there are a tons of different Rokus. One was a stick and the other was bigger like a small box. Do you think it's best just to get the smart tv? Does that keep you from needing to buy either?

For the time my family has Directv then I can just use that password and I know I can watch stuff on my laptop using it because I have done that a few times for Greys and MTV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2017, 08:42 AM
 
Location: Norfolk, VA
6,502 posts, read 6,263,025 times
Reputation: 3693
Don't get the smart tv. They're okay at first, but then the services make changes to the API that tends to break the smart TV functionality. So you'll have YouTube for a while, but then it will stop working all of the sudden one day.

I'm not a fan of sticks. I need to plug cables into my devices. I'm just old fashioned like that. I wasn't keen on the fact that the Chromecast hangs out of the HDMI port on the back of my TV, but I got over myself.

The TiVo would not work with a streaming box. You would need a cable box, or a satellite box, to get that to work. What the TiVo has, is a tuner that is compatible with cable and satellite. So you can use the TiVo, and not a cable box, or satellite box, etc. The Roku replaces all of that.

You might be more in the market for something like a Western Digital or an Android TV that actually has a hard drive, or solid state drive, in it. Those set ups are more complex, and more expensive, but you could use the drive to store content.

The only smart TV I might considering getting is the one with the Roku built into it. Roku will keep up with their own hardware.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2017, 09:26 AM
 
550 posts, read 293,105 times
Reputation: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Don't get the smart tv. They're okay at first, but then the services make changes to the API that tends to break the smart TV functionality. So you'll have YouTube for a while, but then it will stop working all of the sudden one day.

I'm not a fan of sticks. I need to plug cables into my devices. I'm just old fashioned like that. I wasn't keen on the fact that the Chromecast hangs out of the HDMI port on the back of my TV, but I got over myself.

The TiVo would not work with a streaming box. You would need a cable box, or a satellite box, to get that to work. What the TiVo has, is a tuner that is compatible with cable and satellite. So you can use the TiVo, and not a cable box, or satellite box, etc. The Roku replaces all of that.

You might be more in the market for something like a Western Digital or an Android TV that actually has a hard drive, or solid state drive, in it. Those set ups are more complex, and more expensive, but you could use the drive to store content.

The only smart TV I might considering getting is the one with the Roku built into it. Roku will keep up with their own hardware.
So it's best to look for a Smart Tv with just the Roku built in? I know I saw some with Netflix, Hulu, and YouTube plus the Roku on the box when I was at Sam Club the other day.

I would take it a TiVo would not work with a attena then too.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2017, 09:37 AM
 
Location: Norfolk, VA
6,502 posts, read 6,263,025 times
Reputation: 3693
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyellowbug View Post
So it's best to look for a Smart Tv with just the Roku built in? I know I saw some with Netflix, Hulu, and YouTube plus the Roku on the box when I was at Sam Club the other day.

I would take it a TiVo would not work with a attena then too.

Thanks!
Yes. They aren't the best TVs, as far as all of that advanced software that makes the picture great. But they get the job done. If you don't mind motion blur/pixellation on sporting events, etc shouldn't be a problem.

You might find this interesting.

So the TiVo does work with an antenna.

You also get Netflix, Amazon and Hulu on that device. So you wouldn't need a Roku.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2017, 10:20 AM
 
550 posts, read 293,105 times
Reputation: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Yes. They aren't the best TVs, as far as all of that advanced software that makes the picture great. But they get the job done. If you don't mind motion blur/pixellation on sporting events, etc shouldn't be a problem.

You might find this interesting.

So the TiVo does work with an antenna.

You also get Netflix, Amazon and Hulu on that device. So you wouldn't need a Roku.
Wow didn't realize TiVo was still so expensive haha.

Thank you! I appericate it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2017, 02:43 PM
 
Location: Richardson, TX
11,342 posts, read 17,882,069 times
Reputation: 28828
As an iPad and iPhone consumer, you might really enjoy the AppleTv box. I love mine. I have the "old" version which is about $62 right now.

You can get an Amazon or Chrome stick for about $25 cheaper, but I really prefer the Apple interface. I have apps for ABC, youtube etc, plus I currently subscribe to Netflix ($9) and STARZ ($9). I also watch Amazon prime shows by "pushing" them from the phone or iPad to the AppleTV using the Airplay software which comes with your Apple devices.

I believe all the smart boxes/sticks offer mostly the same options, but the user friendliness of the interface varies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:41 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top