U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 02:46 PM

550 posts, read 293,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
As an iPad and iPhone consumer, you might really enjoy the AppleTv box. I love mine. I have the "old" version which is about $62 right now.

You can get an Amazon or Chrome stick for about $25 cheaper, but I really prefer the Apple interface. I have apps for ABC, youtube etc, plus I currently subscribe to Netflix ($9) and STARZ ($9). I also watch Amazon prime shows by "pushing" them from the phone or iPad to the AppleTV using the Airplay software which comes with your Apple devices.

I believe all the smart boxes/sticks offer mostly the same options, but the user friendliness of the interface varies.
Thanks! For Apple TV do you have to download the apps to the iPad? My iPhone has like no space left but I have two iPads. One is older that I don't really use and a new one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2017, 07:31 PM

11,342 posts, read 17,882,069 times
Most of the "apps" are native to the AppleTV box. All you need is an HDMI port on your TV and good wifi to be up and running.
The only viewing app I needed to download to the iPhone and/or iPad is the one for amazon prime, as Amazon doesn't care to release an AppleTV app (to encourage more people to buy their version of the hardware).

Old 06-06-2017, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Most of the "apps" are native to the AppleTV box. All you need is an HDMI port on your TV and good wifi to be up and running.
The only viewing app I needed to download to the iPhone and/or iPad is the one for amazon prime, as Amazon doesn't care to release an AppleTV app (to encourage more people to buy their version of the hardware).
Thank you!

Old 06-07-2017, 09:56 PM

6,865 posts, read 9,550,455 times
Which ever you choose, be prepared to some day [soon] to pay a tax on it. Because so many millions of people are cutting the cord, states and cities are losing millions of dollars in sales tax. Some states and cities have already added a tax.

Old 06-08-2017, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
Which ever you choose, be prepared to some day [soon] to pay a tax on it. Because so many millions of people are cutting the cord, states and cities are losing millions of dollars in sales tax. Some states and cities have already added a tax.
Where I am moving they do have the tax. However, Netflix is in my brother name who isn't moving. Still the 6% tax is nothing really compared to buying the cable package.

Old 06-08-2017, 02:15 PM

4,915 posts, read 2,509,651 times
roku, fire-tv, apple-tv, ... are essentially mini pc's that are designed to stream videos to your tv. some smart tv's have those functionalities baked into the circuitry.

i like the fire-tv the best (havent used apple tv). i actually have been using an htpc running kodi (but i am starting to use the fire stick more).

netflix, hulu, amazon (i like crackle the best) are streaming sites that work on the various streaming pc's. some require subscriptions.

there is canistream.it that helps determine what content is available on what network but it isnt totally comprehensive.

Old 06-08-2017, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
roku, fire-tv, apple-tv, ... are essentially mini pc's that are designed to stream videos to your tv. some smart tv's have those functionalities baked into the circuitry.

i like the fire-tv the best (havent used apple tv). i actually have been using an htpc running kodi (but i am starting to use the fire stick more).

netflix, hulu, amazon (i like crackle the best) are streaming sites that work on the various streaming pc's. some require subscriptions.

there is canistream.it that helps determine what content is available on what network but it isnt totally comprehensive.
Smart TVs that have Hulu and Netflix on them you can stream those right from there correct? I wouldn't need to use an HDMI from my laptop to the tv if I got a smart tv

Thanks!

Old 06-08-2017, 03:53 PM

11,342 posts, read 17,882,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyellowbug View Post
Smart TVs that have Hulu and Netflix on them you can stream those right from there correct? I wouldn't need to use an HDMI from my laptop to the tv if I got a smart tv

Thanks!
Right, but it probably won't have as good an user interface as a dedicated streaming box will.

My first and only smart TV had such poor software that I bought the AppleTV anyway. When the TV died, I was able to move the AppleTV right to the new dumb TV, easy peasy.

Do you mean HDMI from the AppleTV/FireTV? That's the only HDMI I had mentioned. Or are you watching it from your laptop now?

Old 06-08-2017, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Right, but it probably won't have as good an user interface as a dedicated streaming box will.

My first and only smart TV had such poor software that I bought the AppleTV anyway. When the TV died, I was able to move the AppleTV right to the new dumb TV, easy peasy.

Do you mean HDMI from the AppleTV/FireTV? That's the only HDMI I had mentioned. Or are you watching it from your laptop now?
Thanks. If I get a non smart tv and want to use Hulu/Netflix with the tv would I need to use the HDMI? Or something like an Xbox or ps4?

Old 06-08-2017, 07:03 PM

4,915 posts, read 2,509,651 times
you would need some kind of pc: roku, fire-stick, apple-tv, raspberry-pi, kodi-htpc,... (smart tv -- inside the case will be a roku duct-taped to the circuit board connected to an hdmi port).

i used to do this with my old cellular-telefone:
re-purposing old fone as media center pc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics