Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 08:48 PM

560 posts, read 449,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
you would need some kind of pc: roku, fire-stick, apple-tv, raspberry-pi, kodi-htpc,... (smart tv -- inside the case will be a roku duct-taped to the circuit board connected to an hdmi port).

i used to do this with my old cellular-telefone:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/cell-...ia-center.html
I'm actually now looking at the TiVo that lets you use and HD attena and record things. I would get Hulu and Netflix too with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2017, 08:41 AM

16,455 posts, read 19,473,516 times
Any TV you buy today will have an HDMI. Finding a NON Smart TV will be hard. Just get a Smart one and if some day something is no longer supported you just slap a Roku on it.

Old 06-09-2017, 08:53 AM

6,514 posts, read 8,388,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Any TV you buy today will have an HDMI. Finding a NON Smart TV will be hard. Just get a Smart one and if some day something is no longer supported you just slap a Roku on it.
Good point. I stand corrected.

Old 06-11-2017, 12:13 PM

147 posts, read 161,586 times
All you need is a high speed connection to the internet, a router, IPVanish and an Android TV box.
https://youtu.be/R_pIYX-gB-o

Old 06-12-2017, 11:27 AM

2,741 posts, read 2,959,019 times
I pulled the plug on Charter/Spectrum tv yesterday. They had UPPED my bill for internet + tv from $94 to $132.63 a couple months ago. That's just too much. I dropped down to internet ONLY (60/4) as there's no other real choices for highspeed internet where I live. My internet price then went from $53.99 ( for the double-play) UP to $64.99.

They don't miss a trick, do they? I'd like to pay no more than about $40 for internet, but no other choices as I said. We are now using a Tivo Roamio Basic with OTA tv only at the moment.

Perhaps I'll go to Ps Vue or something, in the case we miss a few shows that are not OTA.

Last edited by MikeBear; 06-12-2017 at 11:37 AM..

Old 06-12-2017, 03:32 PM

8,852 posts, read 11,641,249 times
For the financially challenged:

Install Kodi on laptop

Take laptop to library or Starbuck and download

Watch later at home.

internet cost = 0

streaming cost = 0

Old 06-13-2017, 11:33 AM

16,455 posts, read 19,473,516 times
Legality = 0

Old 06-14-2017, 12:32 PM

6,013 posts, read 6,594,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Amazon Fire Stick is okay but people primarily use it to watch paid TV for free illegally. There is a software hack that allows you to run access content through a media server.

Actually...... this isn't true and it is NOT a hack. It's an app. You are referring to Kodi, a side loaded Android based OS that allows you to install apps that stream content. The content streaming is 100% legal to watch. Can you use it illegally? Sure. There are program add-ons available to Kodi that allow you to download and downloading is 100% illegal. But you can use anything illegally if you really desired. You can use a car to drive to work (legal) or as a getaway car after a robbery (illegal). You can use a laptop to do homework (legal) or download torrented music (illegal). You can use a gun to hunt (legal) or shoot someone (illegal).

Any of the following criteria makes streaming content illegal:

1) Creating a copy of the data on your PC (even a temporary copy that is used to allow you to stream).
2) Broadcasting a live stream to the public (for instance streaming a movie outside for all the neighbors to watch on a big screen)
3) Charging a fee to allow others to watch the stream you are providing
4) Hosting a movie on your personal server

The way that this is prevented is that the data that is streaming to your device is deleted as it plays therefore there is no copy. The rest is of no concern to most people watching in their own home.

The firestick does a whole lot more than just provide an option to watch streaming content through Kodi. It also offers Amazon Prime movies/tv and many of the other movie apps that don't require Kodi to operate.

Through the years I've tried many of the media boxes (minus Apple) and the Firestick has by far been the easiest to use. I have owned 3 Roku boxes, a Sony network box, and a Chromecast and have sold all of them when we purchased our first FS. The FS interface is very easy to use and much cleaner than the Roku (though it would be my second pick).

Old 06-14-2017, 02:09 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,522,779 times
a lot of ignorance concerning kodi:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/consu...l#post43913776

is there a search engine dedicated to looking for moo-veez/teevee shows and what service they are on.

canistream.it does ok but i find it has false positives (and even misses some items).

i even find it weird that the roku search or fire-tv search doesnt always return stuff from netflix/hulu/amazon-vod/amazon-prime/crackle/... seems hit or miss.

one thing thats annoying is that i cant search netflix or hulu on the roku or fire-stick without first being a subscriber (why would i subscribe to something if they dont have what i want ?).

(^ i have to wait to rep you but fyi: kodi is linux based (android also runs on a linux kernel; however, it uses a java based menu system).

Last edited by stanley-88888888; 06-14-2017 at 02:18 PM..

Old 06-14-2017, 03:25 PM

14,613 posts, read 17,293,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
My internet price then went from $53.99 ( for the double-play) UP to $64.99.

They don't miss a trick, do they? I'd like to pay no more than about $40 for internet, but no other choices as I said.
One trick is to use a DSL provider over your phone lines. The two largest are Century Link and Frontier. It depends on where you live. They are usually cheaper than your cable provider.

Often the DSL over the phone line is not as good quality or as fast as what you can get over the cable. But if you switch for a few months, you won't have to sign a contract and you can go back to your cable as a "new customer" and get the teaser rates again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics