U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 05:52 PM

2,313 posts, read 1,582,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
One trick is to use a DSL provider over your phone lines. The two largest are Century Link and Frontier. It depends on where you live. They are usually cheaper than your cable provider.

Often the DSL over the phone line is not as good quality or as fast as what you can get over the cable. But if you switch for a few months, you won't have to sign a contract and you can go back to your cable as a "new customer" and get the teaser rates again.
Local phone company is TDS Telecom. You have to have phone service at almost $40 a month, and THEN you can get DSL over the top, at another $50 a month. They do not do a "dry loop" setup for only DSL.

That's $25 a month higher than I'm paying now with Charter/Spectrum, for less than 1/3rd of the speed. Oh, and their DSL is not "unlimited".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2017, 07:42 AM

5,447 posts, read 4,278,005 times
There really is a compromise between what you get with cable/satellite programming and what you can get with the OTA/streaming combo. However, there are many options available to fill in all the gaps if you are willing to learn when/how to use the hardware and software.

Here is what we have (minus our cable provider channels):
OTA antenna - all local stations - free
Smart TV - 49 free internet streaming channels built in with new content being added frequently.

Firestick -
Movies/TV shows - Amazon Prime, CBS, NBC, ABC, AMC, Discovery, History, The CW, USA network, Cartoon Network, A&E, Fox Sports, SyFy, MTV, Hallmark Channel, Freeform, Bravo, Comedy Central, Fox News, HGTV, PBS, TNT, DIY network, Popcorn Flix, Crackle, Smart Movies, Tubi Tv, Fan TV, Pure Flix, and a few others.

If you add Kodi to the mix, there are additional live tv broadcasts to watch that include most sporting events (baseball, football, basketball, etc...), movie channels, and most all of the aired tv shows available on the market. (all completely legal)

Between all of these options you can essentially get all of the content that your cable provider offers. The antenna was a 1 time cost of $50, the Firestick was a one time cost of $35, and our ISP cost is $100/mo (we have a home phone as well and the highest available download speeds).

We pay almost $175/month for cable programming so if we decided to cut the cord again we would save that $175/month (and again... since so many naysayers seem to harp on the legality of it... it's all 100% LEGAL).

Old 06-15-2017, 09:10 AM

11,849 posts, read 13,976,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
a lot of ignorance concerning kodi:
Kodi Box.

is there a search engine dedicated to looking for moo-veez/teevee shows and what service they are on.
No ignorance here. There really isn't much of a reason to recommend Kodi on a Fire Stick other then doing that. Fact. Kodi is supposed to act as an HTPC... that is really its intended use. Using a Fire Stick as an HTPC (to manage and run your locally stored content) is really not a good solution.
A LOT of people are using those illegal add in's that only work on Kodi for Amazon (i.e. not Roku or Apple TV). 95% of the time someone recommends Kodi on Fire stick/TV it is to get those illegal streams. For the record, I have a stick + Kodi + "one of the add on"....

Old 06-15-2017, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
No ignorance here. There really isn't much of a reason to recommend Kodi on a Fire Stick other then doing that. Fact. Kodi is supposed to act as an HTPC... that is really its intended use. Using a Fire Stick as an HTPC (to manage and run your locally stored content) is really not a good solution.
A LOT of people are using those illegal add in's that only work on Kodi for Amazon (i.e. not Roku or Apple TV). 95% of the time someone recommends Kodi on Fire stick/TV it is to get those illegal streams. For the record, I have a stick + Kodi + "one of the add on"....
Wrong. Kodi is packed with features aside from streaming new movies or downloading. I discussed those capabilities in my last post. Kodi is an app, nothing more or less. How you choose to use that app is up to the individual.

Roku has the same capabilities using different add-ons, just so you know. (Research play-on)

As stated before, you can use anything illegally if you choose to do so. But recommending that someone use a tool doesn't mean they are recommending they do anything illegal with it. If that is the assumption then we may want to stop recommending computers (hacking), internet (downloading), cars (too many possibilities to list), etc.... Because by default those are all things that can easily be used both legally and illegally.

Old 06-15-2017, 01:33 PM

11,849 posts, read 13,976,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
Wrong. Kodi is packed with features aside from streaming new movies or downloading. I discussed those capabilities in my last post. Kodi is an app, nothing more or less. How you choose to use that app is up to the individual.
Sorry. not wrong. I reread your post. You didn't really mention anything that Kodi can do that would really benefit an Amazon Stick owner.
Here's a list of add-ons:
https://kodi.tv/addons
Pluto TV? All day. Fear Factor channel baby. But MOST of the add-ons people would get Kodi for... on Roku you can just get the individual apps. Amazon is far more restrictive then Roku. Because you have to play in Amazon's playground.

How many of those do you REALLY need Kodi for? Very few. I like Kodi. I have used it extensively on my actual HTPC in my basement connected to a projector. It just seems to me almost every time someone recommends Kodi on a Fire Stick it is to basically pirate paid TV and Movies. What add ons are you actually using? I didn't see you mention any. Honestly curious.

Quote:
Roku has the same capabilities using different add-ons, just so you know. (Research play-on)
Well aware...

Quote:
As stated before, you can use anything illegally if you choose to do so. But recommending that someone use a tool doesn't mean they are recommending they do anything illegal with it. If that is the assumption then we may want to stop recommending computers (hacking), internet (downloading), cars (too many possibilities to list), etc.... Because by default those are all things that can easily be used both legally and illegally.
Again with the car / computer comparison. Really? I don't see people selling "Hacking Computers" on Facebook Buy/Sell groups. I do see people selling "Hacked Fire Sticks".

Old 06-15-2017, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Sorry. not wrong. I reread your post. You didn't really mention anything that Kodi can do that would really benefit an Amazon Stick owner.
Here's a list of add-ons:
https://kodi.tv/addons
Pluto TV? All day. Fear Factor channel baby. But MOST of the add-ons people would get Kodi for... on Roku you can just get the individual apps. Amazon is far more restrictive then Roku. Because you have to play in Amazon's playground.

How many of those do you REALLY need Kodi for? Very few. I like Kodi. I have used it extensively on my actual HTPC in my basement connected to a projector. It just seems to me almost every time someone recommends Kodi on a Fire Stick it is to basically pirate paid TV and Movies. What add ons are you actually using? I didn't see you mention any. Honestly curious.

If it boils down to needs vs wants, the answer is zero. But to humor you I'll list the add-ons that I use personally which do not fall into that gray area:

USTVnow
Youtube
Twitch
Crunchyroll
EbaumsWorld
Flix2kodi
Funnyordie
Kordkutters
Liveleak
Livestream
Pixel.tv
Redbulltv
Revision3
TEDTalks
Vevo

Quote:
Again with the car / computer comparison. Really? I don't see people selling "Hacking Computers" on Facebook Buy/Sell groups. I do see people selling "Hacked Fire Sticks".
No but you see people selling computers and all computers have the capability to be used for that as I said before. The same is true for a firestick.

You don't see hacked firesticks. You see people selling Firesticks with the Kodi app installed. Kodi is available through Google Play. What you are referring to are those who are loading unapproved 3rd party addons. Unapproved, but not illegal and not hacked. If it were, Amazon would not allow the use of a 3rd party app to be an option.

As I said before, just because something has the capability to be used in a questionable manner does not mean that it is simply because someone recommends it.

Old 06-15-2017, 03:38 PM

Quote:
If it boils down to needs vs wants, the answer is zero. But to humor you I'll list the add-ons that I use personally which do not fall into that gray area:

USTVnow
Youtube
Twitch
Crunchyroll
EbaumsWorld
Flix2kodi
Funnyordie
Kordkutters
Liveleak
Livestream
Pixel.tv
Redbulltv
Revision3
TEDTalks
Vevo

No but you see people selling computers and all computers have the capability to be used for that as I said before. The same is true for a firestick.

You don't see hacked firesticks. You see people selling Firesticks with the Kodi app installed. Kodi is available through Google Play. What you are referring to are those who are loading unapproved 3rd party addons. Unapproved, but not illegal and not hacked. If it were, Amazon would not allow the use of a 3rd party app to be an option.

As I said before, just because something has the capability to be used in a questionable manner does not mean that it is simply because someone recommends it.
How do you use USTVNOW legally within the USA? It says it's for expat or military personnel, located outside the USA. I'm not either, and want to know if there's a legal way to use it inside the USA. That's not legal using it with a VPN either, if you are doing so to circumvent those criteria.

Old 06-15-2017, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
How do you use USTVNOW legally within the USA? It says it's for expat or military personnel, located outside the USA. I'm not either, and want to know if there's a legal way to use it inside the USA. That's not legal using it with a VPN either, if you are doing so to circumvent those criteria.
We use this app when we take vacations outside of the states and take our FS along. We've never had any issue with it. We do not use a VPN on anything we have.

Old 06-15-2017, 04:02 PM

Quote:
We use this app when we take vacations outside of the states and take our FS along. We've never had any issue with it. We do not use a VPN on anything we have.
Ok, thought maybe there was a way to watch it here that I didn't know about. Thanks!

Old 06-15-2017, 07:32 PM

2,393 posts, read 2,742,423 times
Update:

Totally eliminate everything except high speed internet and get everything for less than $40 a month.

Phone: Callcentric ($0.01 per minute incoming and outgoing) https://goo.gl/1d0Zr+ Unlocked Cisco / Linksys PAP2 VoIP 2FXS Phone Adapter ($20)https://goo.gl/VT4NCY
IPTV - Gears TV ($15 a month) https://goo.gl/TP98uy + Mayfair Guide Pro ($2.50 a month)https://goo.gl/X3kCq0
Android TV Box - $79 - https://goo.gl/5s8hFp
Movies - Showbox, CinemaBox, etc. (free)https://goo.gl/8Aq0YY
IPVanish - $60 a year https://goo.gl/tP0zTV
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics