U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-16-2017, 04:36 AM
 
550 posts, read 292,558 times
Reputation: 215

Advertisements

I did end up getting a SmatTV. My dad was the one buying it and he picked it out. I also got one of those HD attena that we had when Directv was right with the people who own NBC. He said it's suppose to be good. We gave the one we had to our family friends and they get like 50 channels.

I also have Netflix and as soon as they set my internet up I will get Hulu.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-16-2017, 07:56 AM
 
Location: (six-cent-dix-sept)
4,883 posts, read 2,500,163 times
Reputation: 3142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
No ignorance here. There really isn't much of a reason to recommend Kodi on a Fire Stick other then doing that. Fact. Kodi is supposed to act as an HTPC... that is really its intended use. Using a Fire Stick as an HTPC (to manage and run your locally stored content) is really not a good solution.
A LOT of people are using those illegal add in's that only work on Kodi for Amazon (i.e. not Roku or Apple TV). 95% of the time someone recommends Kodi on Fire stick/TV it is to get those illegal streams. For the record, I have a stick + Kodi + "one of the add on"....
i disagree. its like torrents. i read somewhere that most of the torrent traffic was for distributing linux iso's (not pirated films). although a lot (not most) traffic is used to steal pirated films -- thats why comcast lost their net neutrality class action for filtering and throttling down torrent traffic.

if you ever go to the kodi forums very few people discuss stealing copyrited content. in fact the mods at their forums close threads when discussing such topics. a lot of people use it to steal content (but most ?).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
...
As stated before, you can use anything illegally if you choose to do so. But recommending that someone use a tool doesn't mean they are recommending they do anything illegal with it. If that is the assumption then we may want to stop recommending computers (hacking), internet (downloading), cars (too many possibilities to list), etc.... Because by default those are all things that can easily be used both legally and illegally.
+1, i am pretty sure more people are using microsoft windows to download illegal warez/porn/moo-vees/cracking government servers/identity theft/... but to assume everyone using microsoft windows is a criminal is ludicrous.

Last edited by stanley-88888888; 06-16-2017 at 08:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2017, 08:36 AM
 
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
11,820 posts, read 13,961,605 times
Reputation: 8055
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
if you ever go to the kodi forums very few people discuss stealing copyrited content. in fact the mods at their forums close threads when discussing such topics. a lot of people use it to steal content (but most ?).+1,
I'm not saying KODI is the issue. Of course, I would expect the forums to not be talking about pirating. I know what Kodi is capable of. We don't need to continue beating this horse.

If you're not going to pirate, IMO also having used many devices like Stanley, the Roku is head and shoulders superior to the Amazon Stick. It's platform agnostic. If Amazon doesn't want to let Crackle put it's app on the stick... too bad, so sad. (Yes you can Kodi it, but let's more on...lol). PlutoTV? There's an app for that. CW? App. Separate apps, easy to find. Not buried behind another app and finding add-ons that may or may not be well done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2017, 11:54 AM
 
147 posts, read 116,158 times
Reputation: 183
FYI.

As far as current USA law, watching streamed, unlicensed content is perfectly legal. What is illegal in the USA is when the user downloads even part of a copyrighted file or when the user streams content as a ‘public performance’ i.e., reshowing an NFL game to an audience.

Using your cable provider's DVD box to download movies from network tv and reshowing them is illegal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2017, 02:21 PM
 
Location: (six-cent-dix-sept)
4,883 posts, read 2,500,163 times
Reputation: 3142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I'm not saying KODI is the issue. Of course, I would expect the forums to not be talking about pirating. I know what Kodi is capable of. We don't need to continue beating this horse.

If you're not going to pirate, IMO also having used many devices like Stanley, the Roku is head and shoulders superior to the Amazon Stick. It's platform agnostic. If Amazon doesn't want to let Crackle put it's app on the stick... too bad, so sad. (Yes you can Kodi it, but let's more on...lol). PlutoTV? There's an app for that. CW? App. Separate apps, easy to find. Not buried behind another app and finding add-ons that may or may not be well done.
i find the interface of the fire-tv > than roku.
roku channels > than fire.

i had a hard time gifting the roku-stick because you need a credit card for it (even for free apps like pbs kids). i have a cousin that doesnt have a credit card so i gave him the fire-stick and took back the roku-stick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2017, 03:09 PM
 
11,375 posts, read 10,523,465 times
Reputation: 21063
For those who haven't tried Sling TV but would like to without the hassle of giving them your personal information and credit card, here's your chance. This Sunday (October 22, 2017), you can watch Sling TV free.

https://whatson.sling.com/announceme...e-this-sunday/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2017, 01:15 AM
 
Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
2,365 posts, read 959,654 times
Reputation: 1762
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyellowbug View Post
Hi,

I am going to be moving and tv packages are expensive. I really only watch a handful of channels such as Fox, ABC, MTV, E!, TLC and ID discovery. I have heard about Roku, but I am confused about how it works. I feel like Sling wouldn't be any cheaper for me than a cable package because of the channels I watch. I already use my brother Netflix and will keep leaching off his haha. I just am not sure what I should get and what would save money.

Amazon fire stick? That is one I've seen online. My dad is a prime member and so is my brother so they would allow me to sign in using their prime if needed. I'm just not sure how it works like the Roku.

Which do you think would be best for ditching the cable? Also is there any options for a DVR? I have grown quite fond of the directv DVR so if I'm not home I can always watch my show later. I do this for most of the ID discovery channels.

Thanks! I am open to suggestions



!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2017, 12:53 PM
 
Location: (six-cent-dix-sept)
4,883 posts, read 2,500,163 times
Reputation: 3142
is there a search engine that searches multiple streaming sites.

it seems i have to subscribe to hulu/netflix/... in order to search (which would be a waste of money if they dont have what i want).

canistream.it is giving me false-negatives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2017, 09:56 AM
 
10,164 posts, read 10,486,953 times
Reputation: 5442
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyellowbug View Post
It sounds like Sling TV may not be worth it for myself. I think I would need to add on two of the 5 dollar packed to have some of my channels making it like 30 a month which is more than adding on some cable to my internet.
You have to be very careful of the advertised prices. My cable company posts these prices:

$19.99 per mo.* 10 Mbps Internet

$29.99 per mo.* 25 Mbps Internet
$39.99 per mo.* 25 Mbps Internet, Digital Basic TV 78+ Channels

$39.99 per mo.* 50 Mbps Internet
$49.99 per mo.* 50 Mbps Internet, Digital Basic TV 78+ Channels

$79.99 per mo.* 50 Mbps Internet, Signature TV 286+ Channels

So they make it sound like you can get local television stations for an extra $10, and nationwide networks for an extra $30 on top of the $10. That sounds competitive with the streaming services, particularly because you get more channels.

In reality the able company adds about $50 in surcharges and equipment rental for the TV service. Then they try to raise the price every year. I mentioned to my friend that she was leasing two 11 year old set top boxes from the cable company for $10/month apiece, and those set top boxes only cost the cable company $80 apiece in 2006.

The streaming services are a whole lot cheaper, primarily because you can buy the equipment for comparatively little money

The channel counts are suspicious as well. For instance the Basic service 78+ channels consists
8 networks n HD from Philadelpha in HD (PBS), (ABC),(CBS),(NBC),(FOX),(CW),(ION),(MNT),
2 networks in HD lifestyle and oldie networks from Phil. in HD Live Well, and ME-TV
2 networks in HD Spanish language from Phil (Univision) & (Telemundo)
3 networks in HD from NYC that duplicate Philadelphia networks (CW) (FOX) (MNT)
3 networks in HD from Small Towns
3 networks in HD from shopping channels QVC, HSN, JewelryTV
3 networks in HD from cable company
Same 24 networks in SD
30+ local SD channels religion, reruns, community activities, etc.
So out of the 78+ channels you'll be lucky if you watch more than half a dozen most of the time.

Last edited by PacoMartin; 10-21-2017 at 11:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2018, 10:54 PM
 
Location: Independent Republic of Ballard
6,849 posts, read 5,323,504 times
Reputation: 4469
I've got a Roku 2, with Netflix, Amazon Video, and Sling TV (Orange Package + Sports Extra). Roku has TONS of free apps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top