Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 05:02 AM

560 posts, read 452,936 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am going to be moving and tv packages are expensive. I really only watch a handful of channels such as Fox, ABC, MTV, E!, TLC and ID discovery. I have heard about Roku, but I am confused about how it works. I feel like Sling wouldn't be any cheaper for me than a cable package because of the channels I watch. I already use my brother Netflix and will keep leaching off his haha. I just am not sure what I should get and what would save money.

Amazon fire stick? That is one I've seen online. My dad is a prime member and so is my brother so they would allow me to sign in using their prime if needed. I'm just not sure how it works like the Roku.

Which do you think would be best for ditching the cable? Also is there any options for a DVR? I have grown quite fond of the directv DVR so if I'm not home I can always watch my show later. I do this for most of the ID discovery channels.

Thanks! I am open to suggestions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2017, 05:13 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,450,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyellowbug View Post
Hi,

I am going to be moving and tv packages are expensive. I really only watch a handful of channels such as Fox, ABC, MTV, E!, TLC and ID discovery. I have heard about Roku, but I am confused about how it works. I feel like Sling wouldn't be any cheaper for me than a cable package because of the channels I watch. I already use my brother Netflix and will keep leaching off his haha. I just am not sure what I should get and what would save money.

Amazon fire stick? That is one I've seen online. My dad is a prime member and so is my brother so they would allow me to sign in using their prime if needed. I'm just not sure how it works like the Roku.

Which do you think would be best for ditching the cable? Also is there any options for a DVR? I have grown quite fond of the directv DVR so if I'm not home I can always watch my show later. I do this for most of the ID discovery channels.

Thanks! I am open to suggestions
If you want live TV either Sling, YouTube TV, or Hulu TV. Netflix does not have live television. Amazon Fire Stick is okay but people primarily use it to watch paid TV for free illegally. There is a software hack that allows you to run access content through a media server. Chromecast is good if you don't mind using Android devices as the remote. Roku is good if you want an actual remote. Roku also has thousands of channels if you want something avant garde, weird, or eclectic. A lot of religious programming on Roku as well.

Avoid Apple TV and Android TV. Pain in the _.

Old 06-05-2017, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
If you want live TV either Sling, YouTube TV, or Hulu TV. Netflix does not have live television. Amazon Fire Stick is okay but people primarily use it to watch paid TV for free illegally. There is a software hack that allows you to run access content through a media server. Chromecast is good if you don't mind using Android devices as the remote. Roku is good if you want an actual remote. Roku also has thousands of channels if you want something avant garde, weird, or eclectic. A lot of religious programming on Roku as well.

Avoid Apple TV and Android TV. Pain in the _.
I do not have an android device. I only have an iPhone and iPad.

I watch tv shows like Lucifer and Greys Anatomy. I use Netflix already for older shows or movies that I use to watch.

Do any of these have the option for a dvr?

Old 06-05-2017, 05:52 AM

Quote:
I do not have an android device. I only have an iPhone and iPad.

I watch tv shows like Lucifer and Greys Anatomy. I use Netflix already for older shows or movies that I use to watch.

Do any of these have the option for a dvr?
You could use Sling for the platform and Apple TV for the hardware, and then use Sling DVR feature. You would need to know where Lucifer and Greys Anatomy air. You would also need to subscribe to the Sling package that includes those channels live.

Then you would need to determine if Sling offers the network programming live in your city. And then set up Sling to record the program. If you're in New York City, for example, that probably is not an issue. But if you're in Dayton, OH, chances are that Sling does not carry ABC and Fox live.

So then if Sling doesn't carry it, you look at other options. Does PlayStation Vue offer it, does YouTube TV offer it? Right now, YouTube is the only service with access to ABC, CBS, NBC, and Fox, live programming. But is it available in your area. YouTube is only compatible with Chromecast and AirPlay (Apple TV). You could also watch it on your iPad.

Or you can just order episodes when they're available on iTunes and have them forever (or until Apple decides to take them down), and you won't have to worry about DVR.

At this link you can determine if Sling even offers live TV in your area.

Put in your zip code. When I do it I find that I have access to Fox and NBC live. I put in another zip code I find out that I can get Univision, Fox and NBC live. I put in a New York zip code and I can get ABC, Univision, and NBC live (but not Fox).

This other link shows you where YouTube TV is available.

Another option, if you're into CBS programming, is to subscribe to them for $5.99 a month. They offer Live TV in a lot of markets. You can check that list here.

If you can't get Live TV, again, a la carte through iTunes or some other service, or maybe you can find old episodes on Hulu. I take it you've already checked Netflix and determined that they don't have the shows you like to watch.

One more thing, though it is rudimentary. You could download Chrome Browser, go to ABC.com, start an episode of Grey's Anatomy, then stream it to your TV set via Chromecast. Then you wouldn't have to pay for Hulu. A poor man's option but you have to do what you have to do.

Old 06-05-2017, 06:19 AM

Quote:
You could use Sling for the platform and Apple TV for the hardware, and then use Sling DVR feature. You would need to know where Lucifer and Greys Anatomy air. You would also need to subscribe to the Sling package that includes those channels live.

Then you would need to determine if Sling offers the network programming live in your city. And then set up Sling to record the program. If you're in New York City, for example, that probably is not an issue. But if you're in Dayton, OH, chances are that Sling does not carry ABC and Fox live.

So then if Sling doesn't carry it, you look at other options. Does PlayStation Vue offer it, does YouTube TV offer it? Right now, YouTube is the only service with access to ABC, CBS, NBC, and Fox, live programming. But is it available in your area. YouTube is only compatible with Chromecast and AirPlay (Apple TV). You could also watch it on your iPad.

Or you can just order episodes when they're available on iTunes and have them forever (or until Apple decides to take them down), and you won't have to worry about DVR.

At this link you can determine if Sling even offers live TV in your area.

Put in your zip code. When I do it I find that I have access to Fox and NBC live. I put in another zip code I find out that I can get Univision, Fox and NBC live. I put in a New York zip code and I can get ABC, Univision, and NBC live (but not Fox).

This other link shows you where YouTube TV is available.

Another option, if you're into CBS programming, is to subscribe to them for $5.99 a month. They offer Live TV in a lot of markets. You can check that list here.

If you can't get Live TV, again, a la carte through iTunes or some other service, or maybe you can find old episodes on Hulu. I take it you've already checked Netflix and determined that they don't have the shows you like to watch.

One more thing, though it is rudimentary. You could download Chrome Browser, go to ABC.com, start an episode of Grey's Anatomy, then stream it to your TV set via Chromecast. Then you wouldn't have to pay for Hulu. A poor man's option but you have to do what you have to do.
Thank you for all that information. I did check Sling Live TV and I only get Fox and NBC. YouTube Live is not in my area and that looks like only major cities which is a bummer cause it sounded really neat.

If I want to do the ABC website to download does that mean I would need a tv with Chromecast or do all Smart Tvs have it?

It sounds like Sling TV may not be worth it for myself. I think I would need to add on two of the 5 dollar packed to have some of my channels making it like 30 a month which is more than adding on some cable to my internet.

Have you tried the Amazon Fire stick? Is that the same as a Roku in a way?

Old 06-05-2017, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Thank you for all that information. I did check Sling Live TV and I only get Fox and NBC. YouTube Live is not in my area and that looks like only major cities which is a bummer cause it sounded really neat.

If I want to do the ABC website to download does that mean I would need a tv with Chromecast or do all Smart Tvs have it?

It sounds like Sling TV may not be worth it for myself. I think I would need to add on two of the 5 dollar packed to have some of my channels making it like 30 a month which is more than adding on some cable to my internet.

Have you tried the Amazon Fire stick? Is that the same as a Roku in a way?
ABC website is streaming only. Some of the episodes are free. Some of them are no longer available, but you can watch highlights from the show. Some of them require you to verify that you have cable or satellite, and that you can watch ABC through those platforms.

Amazon Fire Stick I haven't used myself personally. There is a software hack, which people use to watch content illegally. I have used a Roku. Roku is fun but it can be overwhelming, meaning that there are literally thousands of programming sources on there, some free, some paid, and you can get lost trying to keep up with it all. They automatically start you off with most of the good stuff. Right now I'm using a Chromecast. But I have to use an Android or iOS to get it to do anything. Good thing is that you're limited to what apps you can install on your device, so it is very streamlined and you don't get bogged down in hundreds of channels. Bad thing is that the experience can be abstract since you don't navigate anything on the TV screen (just on your device). So you find it on your phone and cast it to your TV. But anyone else with an Android, iPhone, or in the case of YouTube, even a Windows Phone can walk in your house and put something else on the TV set. You do have to pair it with the Chromecast, but once they're set up it's easy to do. Say we both have a Netflix account. If you're over to my house and you pair my Chromecast with your phone you can use your own Netflix account, on your own phone, and watch Netflix on my TV. If you have something I don't subscribe to, like HBO Now, you can watch that too; we can both watch it, but when that phone with that account leaves, I am back to whatever I actually subscribe to.

I like it because when company comes over I tell them to watch what they'd normally watch, instead of having to subscribe to something temporarily so that they can watch something I'd normally not deal with, or buy something a la carte (which I sometimes do anyway).

Old 06-05-2017, 06:50 AM

Quote:
ABC website is streaming only. Some of the episodes are free. Some of them are no longer available, but you can watch highlights from the show. Some of them require you to verify that you have cable or satellite, and that you can watch ABC through those platforms.

Amazon Fire Stick I haven't used myself personally. There is a software hack, which people use to watch content illegally. I have used a Roku. Roku is fun but it can be overwhelming, meaning that there are literally thousands of programming sources on there, some free, some paid, and you can get lost trying to keep up with it all. They automatically start you off with most of the good stuff. Right now I'm using a Chromecast. But I have to use an Android or iOS to get it to do anything. Good thing is that you're limited to what apps you can install on your device, so it is very streamlined and you don't get bogged down in hundreds of channels. Bad thing is that the experience can be abstract since you don't navigate anything on the TV screen (just on your device). So you find it on your phone and cast it to your TV. But anyone else with an Android can walk in your house and put something else on the TV set. You do have to pair it with the Chromecast, but once they're set up it's easy to do. Say we both have a Netflix account. If you're over to my house and you pair my Chromecast with your phone you can use your own Netflix account, on your own phone, and watch Netflix on my TV. If you have something I don't subscribe to, like HBO Now, you can watch that too; we can both watch it, but when that phone with that account leaves, I am back to whatever I actually subscribe to.

I like it because when company comes over I tell them to watch what they'd normally watch, instead of having to subscribe to something temporarily so that they can watch something I'd normally not deal with, or buy something a la carte (which I sometimes do anyway).
Thanks! It sounds like Chromecast would be out for me as I do not have an Andriod and wouldn't buy one just to use it. It sounded pretty cool though.

Roku I was confused by because I saw you buy the Roku, but then you pay for what you want? I thought if you paid for it then you would get something from it. I saw you get Sling free for a month with the Roku you can buy at Sam Club

I just want to be able to watch Lucifer, Greys and all my ID shows haha. I know Hulu has Lucifer episode the next day. I should check if they get Greys Anatomy.

So many options haha.

Old 06-05-2017, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Thanks! It sounds like Chromecast would be out for me as I do not have an Andriod and wouldn't buy one just to use it. It sounded pretty cool though.

Roku I was confused by because I saw you buy the Roku, but then you pay for what you want? I thought if you paid for it then you would get something from it. I saw you get Sling free for a month with the Roku you can buy at Sam Club

I just want to be able to watch Lucifer, Greys and all my ID shows haha. I know Hulu has Lucifer episode the next day. I should check if they get Greys Anatomy.

So many options haha.
You don't need an Android. Check this out.

If the apps you use on your iPhone, or iPad, support the protocol you can just cast your app to the Chromecast. Or you can use Google Home and cast the screen of your iPhone or iPad to the Chromecast and watch stuff that way.

Hulu gets everything ABC airs. ABC is a part owner in Hulu. People forget that Hulu is owned by NBC, ABC, Fox, and TBS. So anything those channels air will eventually end up on Hulu.

Old 06-05-2017, 07:03 AM

There is free content on Roku. But not Hulu, Netflix, etc.

This is some of the free stuff you can get on Roku.

Old 06-05-2017, 07:03 AM

Quote:
You don't need an Android. Check this out.

If the apps you use on your iPhone, or iPad, support the protocol you can just cast your app to the Chromecast. Or you can use Google Home and cast the screen of your iPhone or iPad to the Chromecast and watch stuff that way.

Hulu gets everything ABC airs. ABC is a part owner in Hulu. People forget that Hulu is owned by NBC, ABC, Fox, and TBS. So anything those channels air will eventually end up on Hulu.
I did not know that ABC was a part owner of Hulu. I did just check and saw they had the last season of Greys. I know Netflix has the older seasons if I wanted to binge watch old ones. I knew Lucifer is on Hulu. It sounds more like I should get Hulu with my Netflix. Do most Hulu shows pop up the day after the episode airs?

Right now my family still had Directv and I could always stream MTV and ID discovery shows from that account. I saw you have that option to sign in with your provider for ID discovery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics