U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 12:01 PM

147 posts, read 116,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
And most of that is not at all legal. Gears TV, Showbox, Cinema Box....
You do know this, right?
Sorry, but you are incorrect about copyright law.

Currently, watching unlicensed streamed content is not illegal in the USA. Downloading it is. In fact if you use your cable provider's DVD box to download a network movie and then watch it with friends, that is aginst USA law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2017, 12:19 PM

11,825 posts, read 13,964,257 times
Really? So it's no big deal if I use Showbox or Exodus to stream movies currently in theaters? Or shows currently first running on say, NBC? Really? Well this IS news to me. In that case, hell:

https://seo-michael.co.uk/how-to-ins...odus-for-kodi/

Here you go all. This is how you can watch movies CURRENTLY IN THEATERS, on your Fire Stick.
You're welcome.

Old 06-22-2017, 11:22 AM

5,894 posts, read 4,418,296 times
I've been waiting for this technology forever. The part I haven't heard before is the better reception. I live in a fringe area where sometimes I can get VA channels and sometimes I can only get the local NC channels. My favorite team is usually shown on the VA FOX channels, so I have to keep moving my outside homemade antenna until I can get the channel tuned in. Maybe this will make those fringe channels a bit easier to get.

I can totally see where stations with their sub channels could start offering alternative content. For instance, let's say your wife is not a football fan. Fox could offer alternative non-sport programming on a sub channel while I'm watching football on the main channel. In general, people are getting away from traditional cable and satellite TV, so this seems to be the natural progression. Also, if over-the-air broadcasts start shooting live content and even sindicated TV shows in 4K, that will give me enough reason to upgrade my TV. Until then, I'm fine with my 70" 1080P.

Old 06-22-2017, 02:29 PM

3,972 posts, read 2,615,898 times
Quote:
Really? So it's no big deal if I use Showbox or Exodus to stream movies currently in theaters? Or shows currently first running on say, NBC? Really? Well this IS news to me. In that case, hell:

https://seo-michael.co.uk/how-to-ins...odus-for-kodi/

Here you go all. This is how you can watch movies CURRENTLY IN THEATERS, on your Fire Stick.
You're welcome.
BTW, The kodi add-ons like Exodus' days are numbered. Companies like Dish network have recently filed lawsuits against some of the addon providers.

Here's a bit more on it
Kodi Addons Taken Offline: Repo Online/Offline Status - Kodi Tips

Obviously the stream providers are the biggest violators but they are hard to track down and changing constantly. It's a big cat and mouse game. That would be next to impossible to stop SO next in line would be the add-on developers (mentioned above) which provide the links to illegal streams. These are the ones that companies like Dish are coming after because it's actually someone that they can track down and prosecute. This whole thing became big news recently in the UK where it is now illegal to sell "fully loaded" kodi boxes. It may still be going on the US. They were all over ebay and craigslist last time I looked (it's been a while).

As for people watching the streams, it is a grey area. Technically, it is not breaking the law (this is debatable). It is akin to watching copyrighted content off of youtube. As soon as youtube finds out about it, they take it down. THEY are the providers and are the ones responsible.

Kodi is not specific to the Fire Stick. The Fire Stick is Android based and that is the version of Kodi it runs. It is a fully legal program with many valid uses. It started out as a Media Center for Xbox, hence the name XBMC which it was originally. It later became Kodi and is available for various platforms. Since it is open source it became a platform for all the pirated content that is out now. The people behind kodi are steadfastly against all forms of pirating.

Here's more. It is free to anyone to download and install. It comes without content of course.
https://kodi.tv/

Old 06-26-2017, 05:08 PM

9,438 posts, read 3,242,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobrainman View Post
I won't buy another set until they have the new tuner!
There will be inexpensive software converters to enable 4K tuning in computers that have video or antenna inputs. The monitors will be the stopping point for 4K TV. But, if it is broadcast, there will be moderately-priced screens appearing shortly.

The high amount of competition among producers of TV receivers, will result in many new 4K-capable sets that are priced only slightly higher than existing HDTVs.

Old 06-27-2017, 08:25 AM

11,825 posts, read 13,964,257 times
Yea, I know all that GG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
As for people watching the streams, it is a grey area. Technically, it is not breaking the law (this is debatable). It is akin to watching copyrighted content off of youtube. As soon as youtube finds out about it, they take it down. THEY are the providers and are the ones responsible.
It's really not a grey area , at all. If you found Transformers 5 on Exodus... you know the one in theaters today... you know damn well that you have no legal right to watch that. "But I didn't put it on the stream" is no excuse. Now... I'm not being all high and mighty here... I've done similar things and surely will again. Just having a conversation here.

Old 06-27-2017, 12:10 PM

5,894 posts, read 4,418,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
There will be inexpensive software converters to enable 4K tuning in computers that have video or antenna inputs. The monitors will be the stopping point for 4K TV. But, if it is broadcast, there will be moderately-priced screens appearing shortly.

The high amount of competition among producers of TV receivers, will result in many new 4K-capable sets that are priced only slightly higher than existing HDTVs.
Not only that, but it's going to take awhile for this to become the standard. As in, a few years. Now, I won't buy another set until my current one is dead, but if the TV manufacturers start making TVs with the new tuner, I'd probably go ahead and get one. If anything, if it allowed me to have better reception, that's something I could immediately benefit from, even if they haven't started with all the extra stuff yet.

Old 06-27-2017, 09:12 PM

6,865 posts, read 9,544,082 times
I think there's going to be a lot of current 4k TV owners that will be surprised when broadcasters start sending out 4k programming and their TV will not be able to receive it.

Old 06-27-2017, 11:47 PM

3,972 posts, read 2,615,898 times
Quote:
Yea, I know all that GG.

It's really not a grey area , at all. If you found Transformers 5 on Exodus... you know the one in theaters today... you know damn well that you have no legal right to watch that. "But I didn't put it on the stream" is no excuse. Now... I'm not being all high and mighty here... I've done similar things and surely will again. Just having a conversation here.
You and I may realIze it but not everyone else will. Somtimes it's​ difficult to prove malintent. Viewing the streams has not been specifically outlawed in the US (yet), the UK is a different story. It also doesn't matter if it's in the theater or not, it's copyright infringement.

This page is exactly about this topic (in the UK) It may be a sign of things to come.
https://www.engadget.com/2017/06/27/...ing-crackdown/

Old 07-01-2017, 03:37 PM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
2,365 posts, read 960,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobrainman View Post

Both the content of present television, plus lack of consumer knowledge of TV picture calibration, or at least correct setting of user adjustment, do not warrant resolutions that are more than adequate for most viewers and viewing conditions.

I do display calibration part time, and am satisfied with the results of my work, regardless of whether 480, 1080, or 4320 lines of horizontal resolution are invloved. Correct settings are more important than resolution in my estimation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or