Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2017, 09:06 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,557,555 times

Advertisements

People associate streaming television with commercial free TV. But in the last two years, Sling, Playstation Vue, DirectTV Now, Hulu, and Youtube TV have tried to introduce lower cost commercial TV, often with the same channels that you get from cable.

So far it seems to have been greeted with a giant yawn. DirectTV Now only expanded for 3 months, and then leveled off at roughly 1/3 million subscribers.

Layer3TV is still in very early stages of offering Internet Protocol TV, but unlike the other companies, it is at least as expensive as cable if not more so They are after people looking for a better interface than their current provider.

Comcast is talking about moving into IPTV in a big way.

Is commercial free TV the wave of the future?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2017, 07:48 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,694,332 times
Sling TV and Vue each have nearly a half million subscribers.

https://www.recode.net/2017/5/3/1553...ion-tv-moffett

Every single month is more bad news for Cable TV. This is a "big yawn"? I don't think so...

Old 05-30-2017, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Every single month is more bad news for Cable TV. This is a "big yawn"? I don't think so...
The destruction of Cable TV is multi headed. It is being led by people who simply look at their web browser and watch commercial free services like Netflix and Hbo Now and Amazon. Or who simply play games.

The "big yawn" I am talking about is commercial television that is being streamed, normally at much lower price than cable TV. I don't consider half a million subscribers for each of the streaming services very much out of a hundred million total subscribers.

It was thought that DirectTV Now would reach 2 million subscribers in a year, and it seems to have reached a plateau at 1/3 million.

Old 06-04-2017, 09:05 AM

Since I posted AT&T has decided to offer subscribers to AT&T unlimited cellular a $25 a month coupon towards Direct TV Now after 90 days. That is very generous and should jump start both subscriptions and new cellular customers.

Old 06-09-2017, 07:47 AM

I'd love to know where you are getting your information. I disagree with much of it. Cord Cutting is very much still happening with Televisions... not Internet Browsers. Roku has 13 MILLION monthly active users last I saw. 1 in 8 televisions sold is a "Roku TV". This does NOT Include the Amazon Fire Stick watchers (Amazon doesn't release numbers) Android TV people or Apple TV.
I also don't think ATT's offer is going to have a huge impact on its' wireless subscriber numbers.

Old 06-09-2017, 12:59 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,275,960 times
I tried out Playstation Vue's 7 day trial on my PS4 and was not impressed. The max frame rate was 30 fps, which made live video events such as sports look -wrong- and put a hitch in 24 fps stuff recorded on film (movies, etc.). The image had a border / frame. It was soft. It had contrast issues. It was worse watching its "live TV" and a little better watching its "on demand" (but still well below something like FiOS or Amazon Prime / Netflix or Blu-ray in all measures I just mentioned).

On top of that, the "DVR" is really just a grid-based on-demand function. You couldn't, for instance, see an old episode of a favorite show or an old movie being shown and hit "record." You can watch the last few episodes of selected current shows, only.

Finally, on both "live" TV" and "on demand," the pause / rewind / fast forward functions were fairly unresponsive, compared to FiOS or Prime / Netflix.

This is all on an excellent 54/56 mbit/s connection and a 1080p screen that I've tweaked to perfection in the service menu.

I decided no, not at this time. I'll wait for competition and technology to bring improvements. My situation is a little different, because I actually don't have a cord to cut since I don't have TV access at home at all. I have Prime and use someone's Netflix login and I've used FiOS extensively at a couple of friends' places (FiOS is everywhere here). So I'd be *adding* another bill, which makes it a tougher sell for me.

Old 06-09-2017, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I'd love to know where you are getting your information. I disagree with much of it. Cord Cutting is very much still happening with Televisions... not Internet Browsers. Roku has 13 MILLION monthly active users last I saw. 1 in 8 televisions sold is a "Roku TV". This does NOT Include the Amazon Fire Stick watchers (Amazon doesn't release numbers) Android TV people or Apple TV.
I also don't think ATT's offer is going to have a huge impact on its' wireless subscriber numbers.
IPTV is very healthy with Netflix having over 50 milliion subscribers. But Commercial television delivered over IPTV as a cheaper alternative than QAM digital television is not growing very fast.

Old 06-11-2017, 11:11 AM

147 posts, read 162,821 times
If you want to eliminate cable all you need is IPVanish and an Android TV box.
https://youtu.be/R_pIYX-gB-o

Old 06-12-2017, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
IPTV is very healthy with Netflix having over 50 milliion subscribers. But Commercial television delivered over IPTV as a cheaper alternative than QAM digital television is not growing very fast.
It doesn't need to. Most of us don't want it anymore. It is dying.

Old 06-13-2017, 11:39 AM

14,775 posts, read 8,106,589 times
I much prefer streaming through Roku than having Cable. Always something to watch, when I want to watch it.
I could never say the same for Cable TV. I pay money for it, for several of my favorite channels...but it's not anywhere as expensive as Cable TV was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics