Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 02:21 PM

3,497 posts, read 6,450,704 times

Advertisements

If you have a smart tv or a bluray with the internet - one of the problems is if you're using YouTube etc., there's no real keyboard. There is an onscreen keyboard which is really slow. How do people usually deal with this?

When I use youtube I usually watch shorter things and search often. Hence I would rather use an actual computer for it. I believe some devices allow voice input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2017, 03:22 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,528,925 times
on kodi, roku, fire, ... the youtube add-on has the ability to cast from the youtube app on my cellular smart-telefone or tablet.

Old 06-12-2017, 03:23 PM

8,882 posts, read 11,668,095 times
My wireless Logitech keyboard works for LG Tvs too. I don't trust smart TVs -- too much tracking and possibly data compromise. I turn off wifi on my smart TVs and use them as monitors instead.

Old 06-12-2017, 03:54 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,089,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
If you have a smart tv or a bluray with the internet - one of the problems is if you're using YouTube etc., there's no real keyboard. There is an onscreen keyboard which is really slow. How do people usually deal with this?

When I use youtube I usually watch shorter things and search often. Hence I would rather use an actual computer for it. I believe some devices allow voice input.
CEC is a feature on most modern smart TV's, it has various names based on provider, but it is still CEC.

The Raspberry Pi 2 and 3 support CEC, this allows you full control of an application like Kodi (which uses CEC) via your remote without any need for a wireless mouse or keyboard. Searching is scrolling the remote up left right or down to each key until hitting enter or done.

If you have a newer Android TV, Kodi is supported directly, and will use your remote control.

USTVnow plus is a supported app, and allows either free basic over the air TV via Internet of basic cable for a fee, for another $10 a cloud based DVR is available. All will run with your remote control, and there is a 5 day guide which is easy to use.

Old 06-12-2017, 10:23 PM

2,741 posts, read 2,967,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
My wireless Logitech keyboard works for LG Tvs too. I don't trust smart TVs -- too much tracking and possibly data compromise. I turn off wifi on my smart TVs and use them as monitors instead.
I also use a wireless Logitech K400 keyboard for my 2013 LG 3D smart tv. Though I don't use it for general internet browsing, but for typing to search for a movie in Netflix or whatever. The built-in trackpad also works perfectly.

Old 06-13-2017, 06:02 AM

23,709 posts, read 30,600,516 times
Depending on the manufacturer and level of smart TV one has, a keyboard is on the flipside of the remote.

https://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-sam...FQtXDQod2o0Kxg

https://www.walmart.com/ip/2-4G-Wire...&wl13=&veh=sem

Old 06-13-2017, 08:20 AM

16,468 posts, read 19,498,299 times
You can also link any YouTube app to your phone and use it that way sort of like Stanley mentioned, but you can run the YT app from your phone and queue stuff on the TV.

https://www.androidcentral.com/pairi...out-chromecast

Old 06-13-2017, 08:30 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,397,497 times
I had an extra blue tooth speaker laying around, and now I wouldn't want to be without my keyboard "remote." Lost the remote and don't care. You can also control my AppleTv through a phone app, but the keyboard is so much faster and easier.

Old 06-13-2017, 11:29 AM

16,468 posts, read 19,498,299 times
Clear as mud, Debsi.

You had a BT Speaker... ok?? And now you wouldn't want to be without the "remote". For... the speaker? What does the speaker have to do with this? Remote in quotes. You mean a remote app on your phone? You wouldn't want to be without the remote... but you lost the remote and you don't care? And then you're talking about Apple TV. But you don't like the phone app. So maybe you aren't referring to the phone app in the first part of the question? You have an actual BT keyboard that you call a remote?

Old 06-13-2017, 02:46 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,397,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Clear as mud, Debsi.

You had a BT Speaker... ok?? And now you wouldn't want to be without the "remote". For... the speaker? What does the speaker have to do with this? Remote in quotes. You mean a remote app on your phone? You wouldn't want to be without the remote... but you lost the remote and you don't care? And then you're talking about Apple TV. But you don't like the phone app. So maybe you aren't referring to the phone app in the first part of the question? You have an actual BT keyboard that you call a remote?
Argh!!

That is supposed to say BLUETOOTH KEYBOARD not speaker.

I don't like the AppleTV remote app for the iPhone.

I love my keyboard.

That is all.

I shouldn't post so early in the morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics