Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 07:29 PM

160 posts, read 1,161,937 times

Advertisements

We have a Mitsubishi HDTV 1080 55 inch rear projection TV. It was working fine yesterday. Today it won't power on. The little green power light is blinking but nothing will respond. We tried unplugging. And tried the reset button. It continues to blink green with no response to any buttons or remote. Any ideas? Of course it Friday night so can't call for service repair till Monday. There is no warranty left on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2009, 07:34 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,141,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4me View Post
We have a Mitsubishi HDTV 1080 55 inch rear projection TV. It was working fine yesterday. Today it won't power on. The little green power light is blinking but nothing will respond. We tried unplugging. And tried the reset button. It continues to blink green with no response to any buttons or remote. Any ideas? Of course it Friday night so can't call for service repair till Monday. There is no warranty left on it.
When it comes to tv's the fact that the green light is till lit is good. Is it connected to a cable or satellite box? If so make sure they are on as well. Sometimes the plugs for the tv's are plugged into the cable boxes so they can be used as surge protectors. Inside the tv's are a couple of fuses as well that could have blown out.If you have a small tv you can check to make sure the electric outlet is still good.Also make sure you have tried manually turning on the tv instead of solely using the remote.What I would also suggest is unplugging the tv for a few minutes(maybe 5) and then plugging it back in.Let me know if any change.

Old 12-11-2009, 08:14 PM

Thanks for your response! I've been investigating on other sites and it doesn't sound good. It may be a DM module problem which I assume means the mother board. It may be a costly fix not worth it and we may be shopping for a new TV--ugh, just before Christmas?!!
It is not the outlet as there are other devices also hooked up to the same. We have cable. I did unplug for about 20 minutes. The green light is still blinking rapidly and there i
s no response either manually or remote. No response with the reset button.

One possibility is a Hard Reset--to unplug for 4 hours. So we will do that and try it in the morning.

Thanks if anyone else has suggestions!

Old 12-12-2009, 09:10 AM

Next Question--What do we do with the huge monster if we replace it!!??

Old 12-13-2009, 11:58 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
When you say there are other devices hooked up to the same outlet is that the same plug or the same six plug outlet? Remove the plug from a known working device and plug the TV in there. Better yet plug it directly into the wall if you haven't yet.

As for what to do with the old one: Only buy a new one from someone that takes away the old one.

Sucks.

Old 12-14-2009, 06:41 AM

1,853 posts, read 9,687,119 times
On the front panel next to the power button, there is a reset switch. Push it with the tip of a pen.

Sorry, I didn't read that you already tried the rest switch. .

Old 12-14-2009, 07:06 AM

I have been reading the troubleshooting manual for mine. It only mentions the green light flashing two times.

The first time. Problem: TV will not turn on after being plugged in. Possible solution: If the green light is blinking, wait for at least one minute for the light to turn off, then press power again.

Second time mentioned.

Problem: TV turned itself off and the light on the front panel started to blink.
Possible solution: Momentary power fluctuation caused the TV to turn off to prevent damage. Wait for the green light to stop flashing and turn on again.

If the TV does not stay on, use the system reset button. If this happens frequently, obtain an AC line power conditioner/surge protector.

Ok, I'm reading these two troubleshooting suggestions and thinking that the TV is trying to protect itself. You may be correct that it has a bad board. It's also possible that the TV is doing exactly what it was designed to do. Get a volt meter, and check the power at the outlet. Make sure it is around 120 volts, and isn't fluctuating.

I'm very interested in what is happening with your TV. I have the 65" that I bought around 2003, or 2004. Keep us posted, so I know what to expect with mine. It has been a great TV so far.

Edit
The very last page for troubleshooting mentions that it takes one minute after pushing the reset button to rest everything. The light will blink for that entire minute.

Old 12-14-2009, 09:25 PM

South Range, your manual says the same as mine. I unplugged it for the night (Fri.) and still no response the next day. The green light has been contunally blinking this whole time. I did not try plugging into the outlet directly. I will try that. I think we got ours about the same time 03-or 04. Disappointed that it's life span is pretty short! This is the second time it's gone bad--the first time we were still under warranty and the board was replaced. That time, the picture went out with lots of horizontal green lines.
We did not even try calling a service tech today. Too close to Christmas and not wanting to add more expense to the season!

The furnace went out last night too! It was pretty chilly in the house this morning--but that's another story!

Thanks to all that are trying to help!!

Old 12-21-2009, 06:17 AM

Any new word on this? Is it a TV problem, or a whole house electrical problem?

Old 12-23-2009, 04:30 PM

Sorry, No news yet. I tried a different outlet and still no go. We will have to wait till after Christmas to have someone come and take a look at it.
We've been shopping a bit for new TVs, but again, not going to happen around this time of the year! So, spend the money to fix it or lots more to replace if we want to keep the size.

I'll let you know when I know something!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics