U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2017, 03:18 PM

377 posts, read 268,260 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I've been scouring the web for advice on wireless speakers.

I intend to use them for a backyard party. They'll probably be closer to the deck and would have to reach sound that's wider rather than longer (that's how the yard is designed).

Here are the specs I'm looking for:

-Prefer wifi instead of bluetooth (bluetooth can make calls interrupt if I'm using my phone)
-Prefer to spend between $75 - $150
-Portable (nice but not necessary)
-Strong enough sound for quality base and to support yard sound

Looked into Sonos but felt like it would be expensive for a backyard (although I could grow the system over time)

Thanks in advance for help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2017, 03:49 PM

11,849 posts, read 13,976,351 times
The problem with your plan is that phones aren't built, at least none I know of, to STREAM over WiFi natively. You need something else in between to make that happen. Something like Chromecast Audio: https://www.google.com/chromecast/audio/

Interruption-free listening
yes
With WiFi streaming, your music keeps playing without disruption, even if you get a phone call or a text notification. With Bluetooth, phone calls and notifications are heard over the speakers.

Old 06-20-2017, 04:45 PM

21,552 posts, read 24,693,354 times
Too bad Radio Shack is gone, they had some nice sounding wireless speakers. Maybe ebay?

Old 06-20-2017, 07:14 PM

147 posts, read 116,329 times
https://youtu.be/N3k9lWz48rwblutooth completely portable

If you want wi-fi and have apple, there are air play speakers.

Last edited by Sherborn; 06-20-2017 at 07:27 PM..

Old 06-21-2017, 08:30 AM

11,849 posts, read 13,976,351 times
Good point, knowing what phone you have matters.

Old 06-21-2017, 01:48 PM

3,988 posts, read 2,625,400 times
Bluetooth does have it's limitations but the phone call thing should not be one of them. Line of sight limitations are the biggest problem for me. If your phone is too far away from the speaker or in another room it will cut out. Wifi is way better but not that common yet and I imagine it would not be economical. With BT, it is possible to pair to a device with media, phone calls or both. I don't know about Apple phones but I imagine it is the same as Android. This is commonly the way I pair to my BT speakers. If I get or make a phone call, the speaker will keep playing music while I use the phone to make or receive a call.

Ion makes pretty loud BT party speakers. I've seen them for sale at all the major retailers or wholesale clubs for the $150 or less. BT has improved since the original spec so I wouldn't write it off right away. Class 1 BT works up to 100 meters distance (technically). I personally haven't used it for more than 30 feet (class 2).

https://www.ionaudio.com/products/bluetooth-speakers

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth

Last edited by gguerra; 06-21-2017 at 02:00 PM..

Old 06-22-2017, 10:11 AM

3,988 posts, read 2,625,400 times
I happened to see these pop up. It sounds like a hell of a deal for Wifi speakers. I wouldn't mind some myself. I DO NOT need more speakers however. At this time it's WAY too hot to be outside.

QFX

On sale here
https://dealnews.com/QFX-Elite-Serie...h/2015984.html

Old 06-22-2017, 10:23 AM

16,719 posts, read 15,137,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranredd View Post
Hi Everyone,

I've been scouring the web for advice on wireless speakers.

I intend to use them for a backyard party. They'll probably be closer to the deck and would have to reach sound that's wider rather than longer (that's how the yard is designed).

Here are the specs I'm looking for:

-Prefer wifi instead of bluetooth (bluetooth can make calls interrupt if I'm using my phone)
-Prefer to spend between $75 - $150
-Portable (nice but not necessary)
-Strong enough sound for quality base and to support yard sound

Looked into Sonos but felt like it would be expensive for a backyard (although I could grow the system over time)

Thanks in advance for help!
We bought a Solar Stone and we absolutely love it! We initially were going to get two of them because they can link together wirelessly and play the same music, one for each side of our pool. But Best Buy only had one the day we went.

This thing is so loud we never have it more than a click over normal volume.

It's bluetooth, and it has a solar panel so we only charge it via the electric cord if it's been raining for days.

It's also waterproof.

Highly recommend it!

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/ion-audi...aker-each-gray

Old 07-04-2017, 08:32 AM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
2,366 posts, read 964,047 times
I, too, am looking for Blue Tooth speakers sold as a pair - as in left and right. Rechargeable operation would be ok, and a way to hang them from columns supporting ends of roof over my patio. My searches have turned up nothing fitting these criteria so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or