U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 11:18 AM

11,825 posts, read 13,966,567 times

Advertisements

Case rested. (kidding)

I've shown Cardboard to a lot of people. Pretty much to the man everyone single one has been impressed. A few even bought their own Cardboards, and another bought a Gear VR.
Saying that someone should spend $600 or don't bother trying VR is poisoning the well, imo.
Oh you don't have $600? Don't bother. Oh, you do have $600 but your PC can't run it? Don't bother.
versus
Here's a taste of VR. Keep in mind the high end systems are much better.

Yea, I think people are a little more understanding of #2 then you give them credit for. Just my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2017, 11:59 AM

5,894 posts, read 4,419,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Case rested. (kidding)

I've shown Cardboard to a lot of people. Pretty much to the man everyone single one has been impressed. A few even bought their own Cardboards, and another bought a Gear VR.
Saying that someone should spend $600 or don't bother trying VR is poisoning the well, imo.
Oh you don't have $600? Don't bother. Oh, you do have $600 but your PC can't run it? Don't bother.
versus

Yea, I think people are a little more understanding of #2 then you give them credit for. Just my opinion.
It's like saying if you can't afford a Mercedes Benz or a BMW, then forget about driving. Some people really fall for marketing hype, hook, line and sinker.

Old 06-27-2017, 12:13 PM

5,669 posts, read 5,271,026 times
Quote:
I never said that. I've been regularly demoing the Vive for people for almost 15 months and I don't expect any of them to buy into first-generation VR -- in fact I don't think most people should. But we want to expose skeptics to it so they start to see the future potential rather than thinking a 360 non-interactive pre-recorded video is what VR is (which a lot of people do).

I'll have wireless and the "Knuckles" controllers soon, and the Lighthouse 2.0 system is coming soon as well. We've wondered lately if we should stop exposing people to corded first-gen VR because the new enhancements are such a revelation.
Quote:
It's a fundamentally different experience though. People buying Cardboard or GearVR is not going to help grow the true VR industry.

But hey it's just my opinion too, skinsguy37 is free to buy whatever he or she wants to.

Old 06-27-2017, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
It's like saying if you can't afford a Mercedes Benz or a BMW, then forget about driving. Some people really fall for marketing hype, hook, line and sinker.
Marketing hype? No, a Honda Civic is essentially the same as a Benz, the Benz is just nicer -- but they fundamentally do exactly the same thing. That is a completely different dynamic than this.

The closer analogy would be showing someone a cheap car that doesn't run or turn on or move so that they come away thinking cars are nice and neat, but pretty limited. That person might decide to buy one of those non-running cars because hey, it's cheap and you can sit in it and invite your friends over to sit in it (so they then come away thinking cars are pretty limited too, and tell their friends the same). I know it's a silly unreal analogy but that's kind of what it's like. That's how different these things are in capability.

What we've been trying to do is give people a fast ride in our running Mercedes-Benz and let them know some pretty awesome Hondas that also turn on and run are only a couple years away. Some of those people are skeptical because they've heard about or sat in those cheap non-running cars so that's their frame of reference for what cars are and they've been pretty 'meh' on cars because of that...
----------------------------------------------
Ultimately if you want GearVR, get it, but please know watching a Youtube 360 vid in it bears no relation to true VR. Try to get a demo in a Vive sometime.

Old 06-28-2017, 02:29 PM

5,894 posts, read 4,419,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
Marketing hype? No, a Honda Civic is essentially the same as a Benz, the Benz is just nicer -- but they fundamentally do exactly the same thing. That is a completely different dynamic than this.

The closer analogy would be showing someone a cheap car that doesn't run or turn on or move so that they come away thinking cars are nice and neat, but pretty limited. That person might decide to buy one of those non-running cars because hey, it's cheap and you can sit in it and invite your friends over to sit in it (so they then come away thinking cars are pretty limited too, and tell their friends the same). I know it's a silly unreal analogy but that's kind of what it's like. That's how different these things are in capability.

What we've been trying to do is give people a fast ride in our running Mercedes-Benz and let them know some pretty awesome Hondas that also turn on and run are only a couple years away. Some of those people are skeptical because they've heard about or sat in those cheap non-running cars so that's their frame of reference for what cars are and they've been pretty 'meh' on cars because of that...
----------------------------------------------
Ultimately if you want GearVR, get it, but please know watching a Youtube 360 vid in it bears no relation to true VR. Try to get a demo in a Vive sometime.
Nepenthe,

Thanks. I may consider looking at the demo just to see how it is. Who knows? Maybe I'll get hooked. Honestly what I would like more than anything is a headset that allows me to watch Netflix, Amazon Video, You Tube, and other streaming sources as if you were sitting in the iMAX theater watching this stuff. Or picture watching the big game and you feel like you're in the stands there sitting at the 50 yard line. Not really into all of the interactive stuff. Honestly, chasing after a 2 year old is all the interactivity I care to have in one day, lol!

Old 06-28-2017, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Nepenthe,

Thanks. I may consider looking at the demo just to see how it is. Who knows? Maybe I'll get hooked. Honestly what I would like more than anything is a headset that allows me to watch Netflix, Amazon Video, You Tube, and other streaming sources as if you were sitting in the iMAX theater watching this stuff. Or picture watching the big game and you feel like you're in the stands there sitting at the 50 yard line. Not really into all of the interactive stuff. Honestly, chasing after a 2 year old is all the interactivity I care to have in one day, lol!
Room-scale VR is going to be amazing and significantly more affordable in about 18 months. There are a number of big names now looking to get into to OpenVR / SteamVR / Lighthouse hardware. Maybe you can demo high-end VR before then and look into it when it's more accessible.

As far as the theater thing, I've used pretty much every viewing system there is -- Virtual Desktop, Big Screen, Whirligig VR, Oculus Cinema, CMoar VR Cinema, VR Screen, Simple Video Player, Cineveo VR, Autoplay VR, and DEO VR (I'm sure I'm forgetting something). They're getting better. What you describe is available in a lot of them, sometimes with a lot of options for how things look. The 3D in them can obviously be awesome and better than anything you get in a real XD or IMAX theater, but what we really need is some more resolution, and it's on the way.

I've also watched some live sports stuff and a couple of things have been really cool. In order to really capture excellent football, for example, they're going to need a high-resolution flying drone with stereoscopic cameras that face in every direction in a ball-shaped configuration, and probably several of them at a time. I think in time we'll actually have something far beyond that, though -- real-time photogrammetry! The sky's the limit. This technology is just getting started and will be amazing beyond what most people are imagining.

I've already experienced things I hardly have words to describe, that are among the most amazing things I've ever done with any technology.

Good luck!

Last edited by Nepenthe; 06-28-2017 at 05:57 PM..

Old 07-31-2017, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
I've already experienced things I hardly have words to describe, that are among the most amazing things I've ever done with any technology.

Good luck!
Got my Rift, Nepenthe. Yea, it's pretty amazing.

Old 08-02-2017, 04:24 PM

Awesome! Did you get Touch?

Old 08-03-2017, 09:27 AM

Of course. I've been wanting to get one, I just wasn't paying that much for it.

Then the sale hit and I couldn't resist.

The first time I played Dead & Buried? OMFG. That might have been the most intense thing I've ever experienced in a video game. After playing it a few more times and now knowing what to expect it wasn't so intense, but those first 3 games or so? WOW!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics