U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 02:29 PM

5,896 posts, read 4,423,785 times

Advertisements

So, I've been interested in getting a virtual reality headset for my Samsung Galaxy Edge 7. I had the pleasure of setting up a Samsung headset for a friend of mine who got the headset (actually the whole package with the remote and the extra adapter) for free when she got her new Android phone. After awhile of fiddling with the headset, I finally had gotten it figured out. I only tested it with some You Tube videos, and it was cool that I was able to be "in the video", but the video quality was pretty horrible. Then again, it's You Tube and I didn't expect much.

My question is, I've got some Amazon money for Father's Day and I'm thinking of using it to go toward buying a headset. I'm just not sure if I should stick with the Samsung headset that my friend got, or should I go with something different? I have about $60 to spend, so I don't know if it's really worth it or if it's just a niche thing that I'll be tired of in a month? I thought it would be pretty cool to watch Netflix and moves on, but I'm also wondering about eye strain. No matter how much I fine tuned the Samsung VR headset it still seemed a tiny bit blurry to me. So, I don't know if I should even invest in it or just wait a few years for the tech to improve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2017, 08:53 AM

11,346 posts, read 17,884,106 times
I think your budget is too low.

The Best VR (Virtual Reality) Headsets of 2017 | PCMag.com

Old 06-24-2017, 08:29 PM

11,853 posts, read 13,978,818 times
Not if he just wants to get his feet wet:

https://store.google.com/us/product/...FRKwTwodmkIIBg

Old 06-25-2017, 07:31 AM

5,669 posts, read 5,273,641 times
Yah, I wouldn't bother. VR is phenomenal, but at the current mobile level it's frustratingly limited. The things that make VR amazing are being able to move around inside a fully-rendered environment where you have fully-tracked "hands" and can interact with your personal place. None of this is afforded by current mobile systems like GearVR.

Old 06-25-2017, 08:40 PM

Cardboard and GearVR is still a good way to taste test it before you spend $700 on a Vive...

Old 06-26-2017, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Cardboard and GearVR is still a good way to taste test it before you spend $700 on a Vive...
Yeah, I don't really see myself spending that type of money on VR just yet anyway. It's basically just something to play around with in my spare time - which I don't necessarily get a lot of these days. That's why I'm on the fence about it. I'm starting to lean more toward getting a Raspberry Pi kit and play around with that instead.

Old 06-26-2017, 10:30 AM

There's just not much you can do with mobile VR. You're like a brain in a jar. I don't know how many times I've heard people denounce the whole idea of VR based on watching some eye-straining 360 vid on Google Cardboard for 5 minutes.

I'd get the Raspberry Pi, and then try to find somewhere to try the Vive or wait for high-end VRcades to open in your area. High res, high FOV, wireless room-scale (or house-scale) PC VR is coming soon too.

Old 06-27-2017, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
There's just not much you can do with mobile VR. You're like a brain in a jar. I don't know how many times I've heard people denounce the whole idea of VR based on watching some eye-straining 360 vid on Google Cardboard for 5 minutes.
Really? I've had just the opposite reaction. Most people that try my cardboard are pretty blown away...

Old 06-27-2017, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Really?
Yes, absolutely. It "poisons the well."

360 Video doesn't really qualify as VR. Even when / if there's an actual real-time rendered environment, you can't move around inside it and you can't interact with it, and the visuals (including FOV and refresh rate) are lacking. My buddy and I have demoed the Vive now for somewhere over a hundred people. The people who've tried cardboard or talked to their friends who've tried cardboard are typically dismissive of VR.

Old 06-27-2017, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
Yes, absolutely. It "poisons the well."

360 Video doesn't really qualify as VR. Even when / if there's an actual real-time rendered environment, you can't move around inside it and you can't interact with it, and the visuals (including FOV and refresh rate) are lacking. My buddy and I have demoed the Vive now for somewhere over a hundred people. The people who've tried cardboard or talked to their friends who've tried cardboard are typically dismissive of VR.
Well, just so we're clear, I never intended to assume I should be able to use the mobile VR set as a true, move around, interact sort of thing. I thought it was pretty neat watching 360 videos on you tube and turning around to see one person and looking back the other way to see another one. Bad video quality, but a neat concept.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics