U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2017, 12:36 PM

1,954 posts, read 3,367,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I have an android. It is a simple phone and I do not think it will work. I need a navigation device. Someone did suggest Garmin. There are so many. I do not know which one to choose. How do you know when to update maps and how do you do it?
My first smartphone was a cheap one, but it was still capable of navigation.

As far as Garmin goes, choose one that includes free lifetime map updates. Then you download the Garmin software, I think it's called Garmin dashboard. Connect the gps device via the included usb cable and the software will tell you whether or not there's an update available.

I use Google Maps on my phone these days, but I keep the Garmin handy for a backup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2017, 02:33 PM

2,906 posts, read 1,707,067 times
^ The issue may be that the cheap smart phone does not have a decent size screen, like a feature phone, or that it uses a non-android operating system like Symbian. I doubt either are true, since both feature phones and symbian are obsolete at this point. The user should look in their app store for "Google Maps". It is probably already installed.

Old 06-25-2017, 08:46 AM

5,685 posts, read 6,090,734 times
I have google maps. It speaks. This makes me nervous. I am so used to reading directions on paper.

Why would a person spend money on a navigation system if phones are equipped with one?

Old 06-25-2017, 09:11 AM

7,249 posts, read 5,709,785 times
Quote:
I have google maps. It speaks. This makes me nervous. I am so used to reading directions on paper.

Why would a person spend money on a navigation system if phones are equipped with one?
Well, mostly they don't, at least not for driving.

Old 06-25-2017, 08:39 PM

11,849 posts, read 13,976,351 times
That's not true, JasonF. A lot of people still use the in dash Navi that came with their car.

I just bought a car in Dec. My first that came (free) with Navi. Prior to that I was a phone / Google Maps guy. Now, I still use my phone occasionally, I love Google Maps, but a lot of times I use the in dash Navi.
A) It doesn't kill my phone battery
B) I don't have to keep my phone plugged in because, see A)
C) Big 7 inch screen right there in my dash
D) Mine does this thing where when ti speaks directions, it only does it in the drivers speaker... my Google maps doesn't do that. Bonus feature.

What's the problem with spoken directions? In addition to speaking there's a big color map you can look at. You prefer reading on paper? While you're driving?

Not to even mention a lot of in built Navi systems (and Google Maps) now feature LIVE traffic which will route you around bad traffic incidents. Paper don't do that.

Join us in the futur... uh... in the modern day.

Old 06-26-2017, 08:15 AM

2,906 posts, read 1,707,067 times
The downsides of built in Navi are several: map update costs - a trip to the dealer, and a cost of up to several hundred $. Another problem is that built in Navi often comes with digital panel controls, where you use a touch slider to control everything from heating temp to radio operation. The digital controls are not restricted to cars with Navi of course. Navi is also usually a luxury item that costs thousands to get. I can assure Peregrine that his navi was not "free" but either part of an expensive package or part of a premium trim line (auto talk for "model") that cost thousands more.

I have two brothers who have cars with built in navi. Neither one particularly likes it. For each, the implementation leaves a bit to be desired. Not everyone loves built in navi.

Old 06-27-2017, 08:43 AM

10,755 posts, read 18,015,770 times
Quote:

Why do people think that their GPS preference is the same as everyone else's? What business is it of yours that someone wants to use a dedicated GPS device, does this harm you in some way?

I much prefer the nav system in my car over a phone. I despise having clutter and brackets/cables in my car, my cell data use is low, thus I can have an inexpensive data plan, and the 8.4" screen works very well as a GPS, with audio coming through the car speakers and visual turn prompts popping up in between the speedo and tach.

Use the method you like, stop worrying about what others want to use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
The downsides of built in Navi are several: map update costs - a trip to the dealer, and a cost of up to several hundred $.
Many in car nav systems can be updated by the end user, no trip to the dealer required. Some vehicles can be updated without shelling out money every time you do it, just takes a bit of research. I update my onboard Charger nav 4 times a year for no cost other than buying a donor Garmin Nuvi with lifetime maps 5 years ago.

Last edited by NHDave; 06-27-2017 at 08:53 AM..

Old 06-27-2017, 11:10 AM

11,849 posts, read 13,976,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
map update costs
Free for 3 years

Quote:
- a trip to the dealer,
You can update them online. Home - Mazda Navigation System

Quote:
and a cost of up to several hundred $.
Free for 3 years. And do you really need updates that frequently? Do the roads around you change that much? Oh... to add the new Starbucks locations? Yea, I don't use my Navi to find stuff generally.

Quote:
Another problem is that built in Navi often comes with digital panel controls, where you use a touch slider to control everything from heating temp to radio operation.
Huh? You get this on many modern cars without Navi. But not Mazda which is something I love about it.

Quote:
The digital controls are not restricted to cars with Navi of course.
Ok, so then why even mention it? Honda, and Jeep in particular are really bad at this. EVERYTHING runs through the damn "big as an iPad screen". So glad I have manual controls in my car.

Quote:
Navi is also usually a luxury item that costs thousands to get. I can assure Peregrine that his navi was not "free" but either part of an expensive package or part of a premium trim line (auto talk for "model") that cost thousands more.
Yea, maybe 10 years ago.
Yes, I bought the top of the line for a ton of extra features, not for the Navi. Normal price for a base model with Navi is an extra $400. No, I would not have paid that (there is a way to get it on a Mazda for about $100 buying a card from Ebay). Mazda has also this model year added it as a free feature on all but the cheapest models. No Navi system is "thousands". I am quite the car enthusiast. The most expensive in dash Navi system from any company is actually Honda, believe it or not. It is an extra $1,000! Ridiculous. The Honda one does include LIVE Traffic though, so that is a selling point for some people. (But the Honda also has Android Auto and Apple Car Play, so why would you pay $1,000?!?) However, this continues to get cheaper and cheaper on most cars (or even free). Not pricier.

Quote:
I have two brothers who have cars with built in navi. Neither one particularly likes it. For each, the implementation leaves a bit to be desired. Not everyone loves built in navi.
I have a co-worker that would kill you if you took her in car live traffic Navi out of her Toyota Highlander. And she doesn't even use the live traffic.

Old 06-27-2017, 12:41 PM

Chryslers UConnect is actually considered on of the best setups as far as touchscreens go, what exactly do you mean by "really bad at this"? All of the common and most used controls have actual buttons, I find it very easy to use.

Old 07-31-2017, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumarpradeep View Post
Yeah! Using a phone with maps works best, and safely, if you get a window mount cell phone holder and a charging cord for longer trips.
It works best for you. What's best for you isn't the best for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics