U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 08:58 AM

4,593 posts, read 8,198,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
Which is the best system to buy for a person who is not technologically savvy? I am weary about navigation systems because I do not think I will be given enough time to make the next turn or get off at the right exit. Sometimes they give you wrong information. Any help is appreciated.
If you have a smartphone - give Waze a try. It's a social media based navigation app. It's basically Google Maps but with users putting in information in NEAR real time (congestion, speed traps, road hazards, etc.).

I say near real time because not everything on there will be accurate. But it's saved me a bunch of times by rerouting me due to changing traffic patterns.

Getting the wrong information is just a fact of life. I don't think you are going to get away from this regardless of which method you use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2017, 10:31 AM

2,903 posts, read 1,703,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
If you have a smartphone - give Waze a try. It's a social media based navigation app. It's basically Google Maps but with users putting in information in NEAR real time (congestion, speed traps, road hazards, etc.).
Google acquired Waze in 2003. Google maps shows the same kind of information as Waze, but I don't know if they share data.

Old 07-31-2017, 11:39 AM

4,895 posts, read 2,502,576 times
a dedicated gps (tom-tom, garmin, magellen, ...) are better since they have maps loaded on the device and do not require internet connection.

the cellular smat-telefone apps are better if you live in a consistent 4g area since they provide you with traffic updates.

now that i live in a wooded area i find waze to be pretty useless (i can route from my house to a place using wifi; but, routing myself back doesnt work sometimes).

Old 07-31-2017, 11:44 AM

45,056 posts, read 3,426,875 times
we use a tom tom, my phone is old & gets bad service in many places. Don't worry about taking a wrong turn, it will simply replan the route for you & let you know what to do.

Old 07-31-2017, 11:45 AM

Actually, Google has offline maps which work beautifully. I've used them all over the world (saved me a bundle on internet), and regularly use them here in NH, where my cell coverage is spotty. Easy to do with a wifi or cellular connection, and the storage requirements, in spite of a warning, is not that much.

Old 08-01-2017, 09:42 AM

3,973 posts, read 2,617,954 times
Upgrade your phone to a bigger screen. Get a smartphone holder for your phone that will mount the phone on or near the dash. You could connect the phone's sound to the car with bluetooth so you can listen over the speakers. You could even listen to music and navigate at the same time. It will lower the volume automatically when it "speaks" to you. You do not even have to look at it, just listen, making it much safer than looking at a map while driving.

Old 08-01-2017, 09:43 AM

10,753 posts, read 18,008,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Upgrade your phone to a bigger screen. Get a smartphone holder for your phone that will mount the phone on or near the dash. I connect my phone to the car with bluetooth. You could even listen to music and navigate at the same time. It will lower the volume automatically when it "speaks" to you just like a Garmin. You do not even have to look at it, just listen, making it much safer than looking at a map while driving.
Unless of course you don't like having a large phone or like crap hanging off your dash.

Old 08-01-2017, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Why do people think that their GPS preference is the same as everyone else's? What business is it of yours that someone wants to use a dedicated GPS device, does this harm you in some way?

Use the method you like, stop worrying about what others want to use.

Unless of course you don't like having a large phone or like crap hanging off your dash.
Et tu, Brute?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics