U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 12:19 PM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
2,366 posts, read 963,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
I find the same problem when streaming Netflix. Some sources, like BBC, seem to have a much lower sound level.

Now, I understand. Maybe this also explains why some people think records have a better sound than CD?
Your last sentence: Exactly!!

A vinyl record cannot be mastered *quite* as hot as can a digital audio file(CD or mp3). This compress & boost & peak-limit ride current artists and labels are on, in the digital realm, is a big factor(not the only one) in the recent resurgence of vinyl LP sales. People DO know good sound from dreck.

This is not to say the vinyl format itself is more dynamic than digital, but rather, that the digital format itself is not being exploited to anywhere near it's full potential. I use the analogy of the cheap economy car being driven to its limits(vinyl) compared to a $quarter million Italian sports coupe(digital) being driven at only 50mph in a straight line - when it is capable of outperforming the econobox in every measure. Sad!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2017, 01:43 PM

2,496 posts, read 4,773,190 times
My Samsung TV does not have options for surround, stereo or even mono.

My loudest DVD is the Star Trek movie from 2009. It's about the same level as the cable box. My quietest DVDs are the ones I mentioned in the first post. Does that tell you something?

Old 07-02-2017, 02:17 PM

2,906 posts, read 1,708,175 times
I think you should have read already that it depends on how the DVD was mastered, especially with regard to audio headroom. More headroom means lower average volume.

Old 07-02-2017, 06:00 PM

40,291 posts, read 41,843,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
Your last two sentences conjure up two words that I may suggest checking on your actual amplifier:
There is no amp or speaker sytem involved here, it's simply an hdmi cable from the cable box directly to the TV. It's the setting on the TV that causes this in my case.

Old 07-02-2017, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
There is no amp or speaker sytem involved here, it's simply an hdmi cable from the cable box directly to the TV. It's the setting on the TV that causes this in my case.
What menu>submenu>exact setting is it?

Old 07-02-2017, 09:24 PM

40,291 posts, read 41,843,525 times
As I said I do not have access to the TV right now, it's at a different house. I believe it was SMS or something like that but that's a wild guess. I never looked to see what it was supposed to do, it might even of been for loud commercials. All I know is it made voices impossible to hear without turning up the volume.

Old 07-03-2017, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
As I said I do not have access to the TV right now, it's at a different house. I believe it was SMS or something like that but that's a wild guess. I never looked to see what it was supposed to do, it might even of been for loud commercials. All I know is it made voices impossible to hear without turning up the volume.
I researched 'sms tv setting' and came up with some vague references to listening to TV with headphones; nothing concrete.

Old 07-03-2017, 01:03 PM

3,988 posts, read 2,625,400 times
The setting I was suggesting is on the DVD player and it is simply choosing different audio for that DVD. If you choose Dolby surround (5.1) and you are playing back on a Stereo TV you may not get the sound you want. In a 5.1 or 7.x setup you have a "center channel" which is used primarily for voice, and when playing on a Stereo TV it may not mixed down correctly

Old 07-03-2017, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
The setting I was suggesting is on the DVD player and it is simply choosing different audio for that DVD. If you choose Dolby surround (5.1) and you are playing back on a Stereo TV you may not get the sound you want. In a 5.1 or 7.x setup you have a "center channel" which is used primarily for voice, and when playing on a Stereo TV it may not mixed down correctly
Do you have RCA audio connectors on both the TV and DVD player? Should mix down properly to stereo for the TV and at an acceptable volume.

Old 07-03-2017, 02:10 PM

2,496 posts, read 4,773,190 times
My DVD player has no options for playing sound except for Audio which selects different tracks on the disc (different languages or commentary).

Also, I have a VCR attached to the TV with AV cords. This has low volume on all tapes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or