U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 03:55 PM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
2,365 posts, read 961,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
My DVD player has no options for playing sound except for Audio which selects different tracks on the disc (different languages or commentary).

Also, I have a VCR attached to the TV with AV cords. This has low volume on all tapes.
Well, hate to disappoint you, but if you're looking for a TV that you can hear throughout the house, you'll need to get a '72 Zenith or Philco tube console. These flat panels have the wimpiest sound I've ever heard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2017, 05:26 PM

2,903 posts, read 1,705,039 times
Flat panels have wimpy sound because of small speakers, and there's too small an air pocket behind them.

Old 07-04-2017, 12:35 PM

3,983 posts, read 2,619,480 times
Quote:
My DVD player has no options for playing sound except for Audio which selects different tracks on the disc (different languages or commentary).

Also, I have a VCR attached to the TV with AV cords. This has low volume on all tapes.
The setting should be on the "disc menu" under "audio". Its sometimes on the same main menu where you can choose different chapters. It will look different on each disc if in fact it has different audio tracks. There should also be a button on the remote labeled "audio".

Old 07-04-2017, 04:11 PM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
2,365 posts, read 961,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
The setting should be on the "disc menu" under "audio". Its sometimes on the same main menu where you can choose different chapters. It will look different on each disc if in fact it has different audio tracks. There should also be a button on the remote labeled "audio".
Disc menus vary by label, movie.

I'd have to see the O.P. original setup to figure out his volume issues.

Old 03-08-2018, 12:21 PM

2,494 posts, read 4,770,787 times
Update:

I switched the TV to an older Sony Bravia. Now the volume on all discs is okay. Same player.

I have a new problem: when using the HDMI cord, the aspect ratio is wrong on all discs. I tried switching the pic size on the TV. So I started using the AV cables and it's okay. Of course the res is lower.

It's a Sony Bravia from 2008(?) and a upconverting Sony player from 2011.

Old 03-08-2018, 01:05 PM

3,983 posts, read 2,619,480 times
Quote:
Update:

I switched the TV to an older Sony Bravia. Now the volume on all discs is okay. Same player.

I have a new problem: when using the HDMI cord, the aspect ratio is wrong on all discs. I tried switching the pic size on the TV. So I started using the AV cables and it's okay. Of course the res is lower.

It's a Sony Bravia from 2008(?) and a upconverting Sony player from 2011.
Maybe video settings on TV or on the player (other than the pic size) Without more specifics it is difficult. What are the model numbers of the units?

Old 03-08-2018, 03:24 PM

Dealt with this problem before. It can be either a problem with TV settings or DVD player settings. You want to go into your TV settings and "play around" with the picture settings to see what gives the most natural appearance. You probably want to set it for no scaling/conversion and leave that to your DVD player. So you'd set your DVD player to up-scale to 1080P, no stretch to fill the screen, and your TV to a standard setting with no up-scaling and no stretching.

What you don't want is any setting that will give you "full screen" or whatever they call it.

Old 03-13-2018, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Maybe video settings on TV or on the player (other than the pic size) Without more specifics it is difficult. What are the model numbers of the units?
The TV is a Sony Bravia with 720p - is that the reason the aspect ratio for all DVDs is wrong??
The player is a Sony upconverting DVD player.

Old 03-13-2018, 02:11 PM

^ Probably not, although some older sets (and 720P is pretty old now) may have only scaled to full screen.

Can your dvd player do 720P output?

Why not shop for a new set? 1080P is pretty cheap these days. They're not state of the art by any means - the good tech goes into the 4K panels, but they're decent.

Old 03-14-2018, 02:21 PM

When a DVD player sends signals to a TV, does it send a "flag" telling the TV what the aspect ratio should be?
Or just the images and sound?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or