U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 02:56 PM

2,496 posts, read 4,773,190 times

Advertisements

I've complained before about how my upconverting DVD player has low volume on certain discs, for example, on the Blade Runner DVD that has the wide on one side and fullscreen on the other. Also my DVD of Godfather II also has low volume. These are older discs.

Is it true in general that older DVDs are more likely to have lower volume?

It's irritating because when I watch my cable box I can have the volume at 15-25 but for those older DVDs I turn it up to 85!!

I have a Samsung HDTV, Sony upconverting DVD player.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2017, 03:49 PM

3,988 posts, read 2,625,400 times
Try changing the audio source to match your output device. If you watching on just your TV, try changing to stereo instead of Dolby Surround or whatever else that may be available.

Old 06-30-2017, 10:02 PM

6,865 posts, read 9,550,455 times
^^^^^
Good idea. Many older DVD's are not surround sound 5.1 so when surround sound is used, it doesn't process correctly. Most old DVD's sound better in plain old 2 channel stereo.

Old 07-01-2017, 03:08 PM

40,292 posts, read 41,843,525 times
The DVD player should have no issues processing stereo sound, DVD video is a standard with specifications including stereo audio and if they can't play it technically they can't have the DVD logo on them.

That said I have a Vizio TV with a sound setting on it that I'm not sure what the intention is, whatever it's for the end result is the voices are very low and overpowered by the background noise. I always thought it was for loud commercials but now that you mentioned this perhaps it's doing a very poor job of combining a 5.1 sound track into stereo.

----------------

Robert it could be the soundtrack on the discs but it shouldn't be every disc. If you are seeing this with every disc you play as the others have suggested it's probably a setting on the player, TV or some other device you might have in the chain.

Old 07-01-2017, 03:30 PM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
2,366 posts, read 963,431 times
I'm an audio guy, so I sympathize with the original poster. This issue of loudness extends to CDs as well as DVDs, and it has little to do with what listening mode is selected on the player, TV, or sound system.

Dynamics processing tools, such as compressors and limiters, have been around since World War Two or earlier. It is during the digital age, however, they have become more potent, and more capable of causing as much harm to recorded audio as good. Since the 1990s, engineers shifted from the use of compression and light limiting as tools to control and smooth out the sound of a recording to using them more and more explicitly as volume controls! How? By compressing the loudest levels of the audio, one gains headroom, and can boost up the whole audio track to make use of it. Often this is done at the request of clients(musicians, producers, music labels and movie studios) to 'out-loud' the competition's album or movie audio. Succinctly, such one-upmanship has led to something called the 'Loudness War'.

The biggest casualties of this Loudness War? The very dynamics that give music and audio-for-video their life, their openness and vitality. The immediate impression of a super-compressed, peak-limited CD is how LOUD and POWERFUL it sounds. But after long, you just want to turn it down, or change it for something else altogether.

Another market was created - that of 'Remastered' versions of CDs people already bought 20-30 years ago. All that has really been done to them is to make them louder, via methods I described a couple paragraphs above. This is a good site that provides visual representations of what is really being done in the case of so-called 'Digital Remasters': https://www.facebook.com/2016SaveOurMusicNoRemasters/

Thanks to places like Goodwill and the used books & media section at many public libraries, you can still find, for a fraction of original retail price, first editions of movies on DVD and of many albums released on CD.

In the case of the O.P., the best you can do is crank up that volume for the older, more dynamic DVD movies, and lower it for the louder, less dynamic 'remasters' of older movies and newer releases.

Old 07-02-2017, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
...and it has little to do with what listening mode is selected on the player, TV, or sound system.
I'm aware of the issue you are discussing but I'd be careful with suggesting it's not the sound settings, I have experienced this myself with the sound settings I've described above on a Vizio TV.

Quote:
By compressing the loudest levels of the audio, one gains headroom, and can boost up the whole audio track to make use of it.
In this case he needs to turn the volume up to 85 which is pretty high so I don't think that is the issue.

Old 07-02-2017, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I'm aware of the issue you are discussing but I'd be careful with suggesting it's not the sound settings, I have experienced this myself with the sound settings I've described above on a Vizio TV.

In this case he needs to turn the volume up to 85 which is pretty high so I don't think that is the issue.
Most volume controls work like a faucet, not the throttle on a car or boat, so having it that high is okay.

Can you describe some of the Vizio Audio settings(besides bass & treble)?

Old 07-02-2017, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
Most volume controls work like a faucet, not the throttle on a car or boat, so having it that high is okay.

Can you describe some of the Vizio Audio settings(besides bass & treble)?
I'm quite familiar with how things work and even touched on the "loudness wars" in other topics here. I have a pretty solid knowledge of audio and video. e.g. I know why lowering the sound recording level on my prosumer camcorder does not solve a clipping issue when my buddy smashes the snare drum but the built-in attentuator will.

I don't have the TV here but I think the setting was labeled SMS. In this case the background sounds were overwhelming the voices and I would literally have to turn it up to 70 or 80% and even then it was issue because the background sounds were even louder.

As i mentioned in previous post perhaps it's combining the the two back channels from 5.1 into stereo and not giving enough amplification for the front channels.

Whatever the case it was impossible to listen to, switching it to normal would give you audio that you would expect.

Old 07-02-2017, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I'm quite familiar with how things work and even touched on the "loudness wars" in other topics here. I have a pretty solid knowledge of audio and video. e.g. I know why lowering the sound recording level on my prosumer camcorder does not solve a clipping issue when my buddy smashes the snare drum but the built-in attentuator will.

I don't have the TV here but I think the setting was labeled SMS. In this case the background sounds were overwhelming the voices and I would literally have to turn it up to 70 or 80% and even then it was issue because the background sounds were even louder.

As i mentioned in previous post perhaps it's combining the the two back channels from 5.1 into stereo and not giving enough amplification for the front channels.

Whatever the case it was impossible to listen to, switching it to normal would give you audio that you would expect.
Your last two sentences conjure up two words that I may suggest checking on your actual amplifier:

Speaker Levels. Zero them all out, all 4, 5, 6 however many you have

Old 07-02-2017, 09:34 AM

2,906 posts, read 1,708,175 times
I find the same problem when streaming Netflix. Some sources, like BBC, seem to have a much lower sound level.

Now, I understand. Maybe this also explains why some people think records have a better sound than CD?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or