Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 03:35 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,647,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Have you found a solution newcomputer?
I'm going to shop for a "digital voice recorder". I don't quite understand the mechanics of sending what I record, but I am sure I will be able to figure it out once I get it home.

I am not spending on anything extra this month, so it will be August before I buy. In the meantime, I am making notes.

thank you for asking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2017, 04:07 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,495,646 times
Are you planning on sending text files or the audio files?

Old 07-17-2017, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Are you planning on sending text files or the audio files?

I have no idea what either of those things are. I will buy a $20-30
"device" and figure out how to use it with the help of the manufacturer....... or I'll be back

Old 07-17-2017, 06:05 PM

61,114 posts, read 85,934,275 times
Quote:
This project is something to do together when we are so far apart...
In other words, you would like to record a story with the option for other family members to listen to it, and add theirs to it?
Like recording 3 (or more) way conversation that would be saved? A group chat?

Sorry, if I am confusing things - I just want to understand your project.

Old 07-17-2017, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
In other words, you would like to record a story with the option for other family members to listen to it, and add theirs to it?
Like recording 3 (or more) way conversation that would be saved? A group chat?

Sorry, if I am confusing things - I just want to understand your project.
you aren't confusing things. I wasn't very clear.

we will each write, from our own perspective, about an incident that happened almost 30 years ago and affected all three of us profoundly. It is something we have never talked about. We haven't discussed anything else about the project. When it was suggested, I said "count me in". I am the oldest. I will hand mine off to the person who is closest (emotionally) to me. That person can do whatever they like with my story. It may die on the vine. I don't mean to be cryptic. I just can't think of any other way to explain what we are doing.

So my story will stand alone and not be added to. Each of us will write about the same incident. I may have someone put mine in written form, but I think using the recording device will be easier for me.

I want it to be easy. I can sit out on the porch and record my memories.

it took me forever to write this because I have been pulling weeds all day. My hands are stiff and I don't see well. I am still vain enough not to want to make a lot of typos

I have a good life I hope this doesn't read too pathetic haha

Old 07-17-2017, 09:45 PM

61,114 posts, read 85,934,275 times
Ah, now that's easy! Buy a regular or micro-tape recorder. They are really easy to use.
Sit on your porch with a glass of a cool drink, push the record button and start talking.
When you finish, remove the tape, or send the whole recorder to your family member, and be done with it.

Gosh... I didn't know that those (micro)-cassette recorders are so hard to get! All is digital now...
Here what I found:
https://goo.gl/gfQjnk
https://goo.gl/oPd8EN <<< buy one of the cheap used ones.
Sony M-679v Micro-cassette Vor Voice Activated Recorder
Sony M-430 Microcassette Recorder

Last edited by elnina; 07-17-2017 at 10:08 PM..

Old 07-18-2017, 08:06 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,385,082 times
Use your computer with built-in laptop microphone and you won't need to buy anything. You will be able to email the sound file to yourself or anybody else.

Free Sound Recorder: Record Anything You can Hear through Your PC to Audio Files

I'd do a few test sessions first to ensure good audio quality, see how close you need to sit to laptop, etc.

Old 07-18-2017, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Use your computer with built-in laptop microphone and you won't need to buy anything. You will be able to email the sound file to yourself or anybody else.

Free Sound Recorder: Record Anything You can Hear through Your PC to Audio Files

I'd do a few test sessions first to ensure good audio quality, see how close you need to sit to laptop, etc.

thank you. I will try this. I believe some suggested something similar above.

Edited to say this looks really great! Thank you again.

Last edited by newcomputer; 07-18-2017 at 10:14 AM.. Reason: looked at link
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics