U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 12:43 AM

3,399 posts, read 1,716,221 times

Advertisements

I am currently using the roku with slingtv. I am a little tired of their services, and am looking for something better. the service is cheap, I can roll my tv around my home, out to the yard,just plug it in for power. BUt i do not like the set up. not all of my favorite channels, the packages dont work for me.

I am saving alot of money, paying $90 a month ($50 cable,$40 tv stream), as opposed to the $175 a month on spectrum.

So I am looking for a better service, no more than $50 a month, I need a better choice of packages.

for those that use streaming tv service, what service/packages are the best?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2017, 08:45 AM

11,853 posts, read 13,978,818 times
The best are usually considered:
PlayStation Vue
DirectTV Now
SlingTV

HuluTV is coming sooon to Roku but not yet.
They all offer free trials. Start there.

Old 07-14-2017, 01:30 PM

5,896 posts, read 4,423,785 times
I'm waiting a bit before I try another streaming TV service. I did SlingTV - not a fan. I did the week trial of Playstation Vue. I like what they're doing and I could probably get on board with their service, but I think we still have a lack of local programming on it in my area.

Will be interested in testing out Hulu live TV once it hits Roku. I don't want to be limited to just watching it on mobile devices.

Right now, the best move is a good OTA antenna with a decent pre-amp or distribution amp. You don't get any cable channels that way, but if you're like me, you find that 90% of what you watch is on CBS, FOX, NBC, ABC, and CW.

Old 07-16-2017, 12:28 AM

10,170 posts, read 10,501,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
for those that use streaming tv service, what service/packages are the best?
Hulu advertises itself as in Beta testing, primarily because of the limitations on devices. No computer web browsers or Roku.

Sling TV is the "best" if you are concerned about money. It has much cheaper options than the others, but it has severe limitations.

YouTube TV is offered in only select markets.

But if you are going to drop linear television entirely, you need a collection of video libraries. For the nonsports fan, I would suggest Netflix $10, Hulu video library without commercials $12, and HBO NOW for $15. You will have to get news from a website or via an antenna.

Old 07-17-2017, 10:42 AM

11,853 posts, read 13,978,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Right now, the best move is a good OTA antenna with a decent pre-amp or distribution amp. You don't get any cable channels that way, but if you're like me, you find that 90% of what you watch is on CBS, FOX, NBC, ABC, and CW.
And then... like WAIT for stuff to come on??? No way. What do you think this is? 2012?
Hulu without commercials is $12. Well worth it if you like Network TV.

Old 07-17-2017, 11:29 AM

3 posts, read 1,216 times
Where do you live? Here in Toronto I got limited choice but smaller ISPs such as CIK Telecom offers bundles with internet, TV and Home phone for $39.99/m

https://www.ciktel.com/DigitalTV/LocalTVPlans
Their TV has over 30+ channels, that includes ABC, CBS, CTV, CBC, PBS, FOX, NBC, Global TV etc.

On top of that a lot of people I know have Netflix for 10 bucks a month

Total would come up to 50 bucks a month for INTERNET, TV and home phone services.

Old 07-17-2017, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
And then... like WAIT for stuff to come on??? No way. What do you think this is? 2012?
Hulu without commercials is $12. Well worth it if you like Network TV.
LOL! And no pausing during commercials. Those hard working peeps in advertising should be able to show you their commercials for Summer Breeze as much as possible!

Old 07-17-2017, 11:42 AM

1,957 posts, read 3,367,953 times
I have Sling. I barely get my money's worth out of it ($21.39 per month). Over the year that I've had it, it at least seems to work well on my Chromecast now, after I bought a Roku especially for Sling, naturally. When I first signed up, it was absolutely unusable on Chromecast.

I wish someone would offer a streaming cable tv service that allowed you to choose your own channel lineup. Then I could get rid of all the sports channels I don't watch in favor of more news channels.

Old 07-17-2017, 01:01 PM

True Ala Cart programming is what the consumer has been asking for, for years. The streaming services, while cheaper than traditional cable/satellite, still aren't giving us exactly what we are wanting. What has happened is that the consumer has gotten so used to being charged over $100/month for TV, that when they run across a streaming service that is at least half that much, they think it's a great deal. I've always felt anymore than $50/month for TV service is way too much, and that $50 better give me some premium channels and a lot of high quality content.

Old 07-20-2017, 05:48 AM

10,170 posts, read 10,501,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
True Ala Cart programming is what the consumer has been asking for, for years.
The Networks are not going to offer a la carte programming, as there is very little incentive to do so. The reality is that the only television that needs to be live streamed is News and Sports. Everything else can be viewed with video libraries (preferably commercial free)
Even that point is debatable as News channels spend much of their time showing prepared segments which could be viewed in a video library if they were updated often enough.

So I would settle for $10 for Time Warner: Turner Broadcasting System just to get the news. Then you can round that out with $10 Netflix, $15 for HBO Now, and $12 for commercial free Hulu and you would have enough video to satisfy the millennial who has no interest in sports

I say $10 because I think their fee is under $5 for these channels on traditional cable TV.
  • CNN Time Warner: Turner Broadcasting System
  • TNT Time Warner: Turner Broadcasting System
  • TBS Time Warner: Turner Broadcasting System
  • Cartoon Network Time Warner: Turner Broadcasting System
  • truTV Time Warner: Turner Broadcasting System

Boost Mobile does offer 7 channels of Live TV (mostly news) for $10 plus On Demand content from 20 channels.
https://www.boostmobile.com/#!/shop/...arket#boosttv/

Last edited by PacoMartin; 07-20-2017 at 05:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics