Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 03:21 PM

258 posts, read 604,127 times

Advertisements

So I'm a total noob when it comes to electronics, speakers, etc. My wife and I are looking for some speakers to wire to our outdoor patio. Preferably we would wire them from a cabinet in our kitchen, up through the attic, and then mount them just under the roof line outside the patio. Maybe something with two speakers and no subwoofers. Our patio isn't very large so they don't need to be heard 100 ft away or anything. Also, we are fine with speakers that just plug in with a headphone jack to our computer or IPOD. (Not looking for any type of stereo system, cd player, etc. Just a headphone plug and a basic volume control)

I am hoping you guys could provide some suggestions that will be fairly good quality but something that won't break the bank. We don't need latest and greatest, but it would be nice to not have to lug our computer speakers out side every time we want to listen to music. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2014, 03:22 PM

Also, the maximum length we would need to wire between the kitchen cabinet and the outdoor spot would be about 15 ft.

Old 02-22-2014, 03:26 PM

We are looking at these right off hand:

BIC America RTR V44-2W 3-way In/Outdoor Speakers (White) Pair - Newegg.com

Thoughts?

Old 02-22-2014, 03:35 PM

17,708 posts, read 29,804,344 times
Default Make sure

Make sure that any speakers you buy come with mounting brackets.

Old 02-22-2014, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Make sure that any speakers you buy come with mounting brackets.
Thanks Dave. The ones below do and the actually look better than the first ones I posted:

YAMAHA NSAW150B 2 CH Black All Weather Wide Frequency Response Outdoor Speakers Pair - Newegg.com

However, its doesn't look like it comes out to a headphone cord. So do we have to buy the wires that would eventually hook up to our computer/ipod separate? Or do we actually have to buy a legit stereo receiver? Thanks.

Old 02-23-2014, 09:36 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,220,377 times
The speakers you've posted do not have their own amplifiers, so they will need to be connected to an amp or receiver. If you want to connect directly to a computer or Ipod, you'll need to buy powered (amplified) speakers.

Sine you're looking for entry level sound quality, why not go with an Ipod dock? It would be much easier and probably less expensive in the long run, plus it's portable.

Old 02-24-2014, 06:24 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,072,821 times
Will you be blaring music that your neighbors will enjoy hearing?

Old 02-25-2014, 01:13 AM

4,453 posts, read 6,797,640 times
If you have 110v outside, wireless outdoor speakers are about $100 a pair for cheap ones.

Old 03-04-2014, 10:44 AM

1,110 posts, read 671,888 times
Just a word of caution re: wireless or self powered speakers... the more circuits/ electronics that you have outdoors/ exposed to elements, the more failure points you'll have.

That said I'd recommend indoor amp/ outdoor speakers. No budget stated so I'll keep it under $200 US (both links are item on sale).

I'd take a look at the Polk Atrium series I have these and they've held up for two years of Northeast winters so far. Sound nice too.

Amp:

Old 03-04-2014, 10:00 PM

4,453 posts, read 6,797,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA Bubbleup View Post
Just a word of caution re: wireless or self powered speakers... the more circuits/ electronics that you have outdoors/ exposed to elements, the more failure points you'll have.

That said I'd recommend indoor amp/ outdoor speakers. No budget stated so I'll keep it under $200 US (both links are item on sale).

I'd take a look at the Polk Atrium series I have these and they've held up for two years of Northeast winters so far. Sound nice too.

Amp:

The amp is gone, but I saw a small bluetooth one I might get. Thanks for the link.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics