U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 09:27 PM

1,882 posts, read 2,887,088 times

Advertisements

So, I have been struggling with this for a minute. I have probably a thousand films I have downloaded over the years and I always watched them on my laptop (a lot of public domain noir films downloaded from archive.org etc). I now have a TV that has HDMI inputs and a useless USB port (doesn't work for hard drives).
I bought a DVD player and it plays EVERYTHING but MPEG4. I am realizing this is a known issue and the only workaround is to convert them. Since I have so many I was hoping to have some other solution.
Is there some sort of media player, something akin to a DVD player but that will play discs with films of different formats? I keep coming up empty. I do not want to use my laptop as a go-between and there is such a dizzying array of options that I feel someone more tech-savvy could address it faster than I could. Any advice???

EDIT: Even something that would function as a hard drive that I could plug into my Samsung tv- but the USB port doesn't work for that! But something I could upload the films to....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2017, 11:26 PM

4,884 posts, read 2,500,163 times
something as cheap as this mite work:
re-purposing old fone as media center pc
currently i use a cheap small pc. installed fedora-25 and have it autostart kodi when it boots up.

Old 08-08-2017, 07:38 AM

40,212 posts, read 41,799,403 times
The easiest thing to do is throw money at it. Most smart TV's or devices could access those videos on a hard drive over a network. If you buy one these TV's just make sure it supports playback of that format from network connected device. The network connected device could be a computer including your laptop. As another option some Wifi have USB to connect an external drive, the files on such a drive could be accessed from any device.

Best temporary option until you get a TV like that might be finding a cheap computer on CL or re-purpose one you have now, just make sure it has HDMI output for the display. I do this all the time with my laptop, I have it set so the laptop display goes off when it detects being plugged into the TV/Monitor. The difference here is you need to interact with the computer.

Old 08-08-2017, 08:40 AM

11,825 posts, read 13,961,605 times
Laptop doesn't have HDMI?

I assume it at least has VGA: https://www.amazon.com/VicTsing-Gold...+to+HDMI&psc=1

Next question?

Old 08-08-2017, 11:33 AM

my next suggestion would be a $25 raspberry-pi with kodibuntu installed on it (not sure if that is beyond the op's capability).

Old 08-08-2017, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Laptop doesn't have HDMI?

I assume it at least has VGA: https://www.amazon.com/VicTsing-Gold...+to+HDMI&psc=1

Next question?
Sorry, I wasn't clear.....my whole point of wanting a TV was to avoid using my laptop. If my laptop goes, then I wouldn't be able to watch anything, and I am looking for a solution that does not use my laptop as a liasion. I have connected my Mac to tvs 200 billion times, with every sort of configuration, I am just looking for a solution that doesn't involve my Mac.

Old 08-08-2017, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthouse66 View Post
Sorry, I wasn't clear.....my whole point of wanting a TV was to avoid using my laptop. If my laptop goes, then I wouldn't be able to watch anything, and I am looking for a solution that does not use my laptop as a liasion. I have connected my Mac to tvs 200 billion times, with every sort of configuration, I am just looking for a solution that doesn't involve my Mac.
what type of cellular smart-telephone and/or tablet-pc do you own ? is dlna/airshare an option.

Old 08-08-2017, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
what type of cellular smart-telephone and/or tablet-pc do you own ? is dlna/airshare an option.
Well I do not have a smart phone. I still have a flipphone and no tablet.

Old 08-08-2017, 08:32 PM

3,820 posts, read 5,982,404 times
Can't you copy the MP4 from the DVD to a USB memory stick and then plug the memory stick into the USB input on the TV? If that doesn't work get a Roku and plug the memory stick into it.

Old 08-09-2017, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
Can't you copy the MP4 from the DVD to a USB memory stick and then plug the memory stick into the USB input on the TV? If that doesn't work get a Roku and plug the memory stick into it.
i think they explained their tv doesnt work like that way. seems to be that port is only for firmware update.

basically the op needs an intermediary computer (pc, laptop, tablet, fone, roku, fire, ...) that has hdmi-out and can playback video files from either an internal/usb connected harddrive or from another wifi connected device.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or