U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 05:28 PM

968 posts, read 937,741 times

Advertisements

I hope this is the right forum---I need help with my new Roku+ device. A representative from my internet service provider (Cox) came out to upgrade my modem, and was kind enough to set up the new Roku device for me. Worked beautifully the first night, from then on I have had interrupted streaming by having no connection to my router/wi-fi. (the screen reads not connected to wi-fi) I have repeatedly tried the trouble-shooting hints, such as restarting, un-plugging, connecting via electric outlet vs directly into my tv, moving it closer to the router.....sometimes it will connect but doesn't hold it for long.

I have had an older model Roku for years with no/few problems, but Roku no longer updates that model so my programs were not showing recent episodes. I don't think it's my internet speed, as I haven't changed that. I am not very tech savy, have tried looking on you-tube, on-line etc. There is no direct tech support available from Roku, only a series of questions/answers.

I would call someone to come and help, but have no idea who to contact. The professional guy who takes care of any computer problems doesn't deal with this. I am out of my element, feeling frustrated and angry. All I want to do is be able to watch Hulu and Netflix!

I do not have a smart tv, but it is a Samsung that is 2 yrs old. I had 4 eye surgeries in last couple years so my sight isn't the greatest--have to wear reading glasses to see anything close, so I have trouble. I have 2 power strips connecting tv, Ooma, router, DVD player, Roku, phone---not sure what else.

I have gone to settings, tried everything, tv is on correct connection HDML input, I am lost......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2017, 06:31 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,905 posts, read 33,648,732 times
Since you didn't change anything to make it stop working, let's consider the possibility that someone else did. Do you live in an apartment or condo with next door neighbors close by?

If so, it's possible that the next door neighbors put up a WiFi device that is killing your wifi signal. Wireless video cameras are notorious for this. Are you friendly enough with your neighbors to ask them whether they did something like this? Could you get them to turn their camera off temporarily to see if your signal improves?

https://nest.com/support/article/Wha...roubleshoot-it

Old 08-10-2017, 12:35 AM

Thanks for your post, Bo! I live in a house in a subdivision, and did check for other networks, but the screen reported that the signal was too weak from the other network to use it. I will have to do some more checking. The article was helpful, as I have a number of things connected to the router close to the Roku device, although unplugging the (voip) Ooma device didn't help. I have pretty much messed it up now, it seems, because a friend suggested doing a manual reset on the device itself, and I can't even get to the home screen now, as it does not connect to the wireless network to proceed. (at least with the initial set up I was able to see the home screen and run through the reset attempts via the remote control).

Old 08-10-2017, 01:18 AM

9,599 posts, read 12,534,106 times
When you said you did a "manual reset", was it a reSTART or reSET? I belive a restart just turns roku off and restarts in with the same settings but a reset wipes it out and returns it to factory settings (or something similar on your new unit).

Old 08-10-2017, 01:43 PM

Rabrrita, I did quite a few restarts via the remote control when prompted on the tv screen, but it never connected to the network. Then I did the manual reset on the device itself.

Old 08-10-2017, 04:01 PM

Okay, I unplugged everything, including router, and started over. I was able to go thru the set up process again using the remote and my laptop. It went smoothly, everything linked, but after leaving Home screen to click on Hulu, it said "unable to connect to wireless network" which is where I was in the first place. *sigh* Going thru the troubleshooting steps, after trying them all, (unplugging/restarting router and device, doing system restart onscreen with remote repeatedly, scanning for networks) it appears it will not remain connected. I have moved device closer to router, moved router closer to modem....I'm wondering now that when the tech updated my modem it somehow affected streaming capabilities to force me to pay for upgraded service. And...I can't find the doggone receipt to return the device, either!

Old 08-14-2017, 07:29 PM

11,849 posts, read 13,976,351 times
Your modem has not been "updated" to force you to buy better bandwidth. Don't be silly.
Which Roku do you have? Specifically? Is there a jack in the back that looks like a phone line? It's a network connection. If so, let's try a cable connection.

Old 08-15-2017, 01:43 AM

I returned the device and bought a different one, installed it last night---so far, so good---fingers crossed, lol! Haven't had any problems. (BTW, there was no Ethernet connection possible for other device, to answer Peregrine's question. But thanks for your help!)

Old 08-19-2017, 07:24 PM

10,169 posts, read 10,499,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artangel View Post
(BTW, there was no Ethernet connection possible for other device, to answer Peregrine's question. But thanks for your help!)
I noticed the Roku televisions do not have ethernet RJ45 connections either. So if your wifi is poor, you don't have the option of running a wire.

If your planning to put your TV in the same room as your wireless access point, then it shouldn't be an issue. But older homes with plaster walls in particular are notorious for having dead spots.

Old 08-24-2017, 10:19 AM

1,759 posts, read 3,242,353 times
There have been stories of defective Rokus that either won't connect or won't stay connected. Exchange the defective item was always the solution. Sounds like you fixed it. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics