U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2017, 09:45 PM

3,608 posts, read 4,776,033 times

Advertisements

I have a 12 year old 55" rear-projection LCD that's just burned out its second lamp. I can replace the lamp for about $50, but figure this might be a good time to get a better TV. Has anyone been in this situation recently? Is it worth the price difference to go to something new and fancy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2017, 03:56 PM

2,312 posts, read 1,578,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
I have a 12 year old 55" rear-projection LCD that's just burned out its second lamp. I can replace the lamp for about $50, but figure this might be a good time to get a better TV. Has anyone been in this situation recently? Is it worth the price difference to go to something new and fancy?

Yes, it's really worth spending a couple hundred $$ to buy a new lcd tv set. They've come a LONG way in even 3 years, much less 12.

Old 08-15-2017, 03:09 PM

2,900 posts, read 1,702,654 times
^+1

Old 08-15-2017, 09:13 PM

918 posts, read 697,705 times
I would say yes but you got to factor in your budget and what you normally watch...cheaper 4k HDR TVs don't have good up-scaling so if you mostly watch cable TV (which is broadcast in 720p) the images will not look as great as they do in the store...it will be an improvement on what you have for sure but may not be as massive as you might think...if you want to watch 4k sourced material, factor in the cost of that upgrade as well

Also if you don't have external speakers factor in the cost of those as well...you will need at least a soundbar because modern TVs are way too thin to have the same quality speakers as those old rear projection TVs

Old 08-16-2017, 08:54 AM

2,900 posts, read 1,702,654 times
I would not go for something "fancy". Here's the deal. HDR, aka High Dynamic Range, is available in streaming formats like Netflix. Don't know about cable shows. Seems to be easy to implement and becoming more common. I'd get the feature. 4k suffers from a lack of content, and bad implementation of up-scaling in many inexpensive sets. Content? Mostly streaming, but needs very good internet connections because it uses a lot of data. If you're in a location that already has wifi congestion, you have extra work to do. Finally, most people can't see a difference unless they have very good content and sit quite close. Other "features" to be wary of include "smart TV." Some love it, many ignore it. It essentially makes streaming a bit easier by using a connection to the internet built into the tv. A lot depends on the implementation, and whether you care if a company monitors your viewing habits.

Sound bar? I don't use one, but if you're big on high quality, one might help. You can easily buy one later.

Do read reviews before purchase.

Old 08-25-2017, 09:09 PM

3,608 posts, read 4,776,033 times
I found the bulb for $16 and opted for the frugal option, at least this once.

Old 08-28-2017, 11:17 AM

918 posts, read 697,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
I found the bulb for $16 and opted for the frugal option, at least this once.
Nothing wrong with keeping money in your pocket so it can be used on other things...$16 bulb is pretty hard to pass up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or