U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-26-2017, 09:14 PM
 
10,169 posts, read 10,497,864 times
Reputation: 5450

Advertisements

Quote:
DIRECTV NOW
LIVE A LITTLE $35/month Get 60+ Channels
JUST RIGHT $50/month Get 80+ Channels
GO BIG $60/month Get 100+ Channels
GOTTA HAVE IT $70/month Get 120+ Channels

DIRECTV
SELECT™ 150+ CHANNELS
ENTERTAINMENT 155+ CHANNELS
CHOICE™ 185+ CHANNELS
ULTIMATE 245+ CHANNELS
XTRA 230+ CHANNELS
PREMIER™ 325+ CHANNELS
The number of channels would seem to indicate that the GOTTA HAVE IT package under Direct TV Now is just a subset of the
smallest package of DIRECTTV. But I don't see an easy way to verify if that is really true.

The SELECT™ option costs
$50/month +taxes, for 12 mos. with 24-mo. TV agmt.
$90/mo. in mos. 13-24 (subject to change)

So for at least the first two years, it averages out to $70/month, which is the same as the GOTTA HAVE IT package. But it offers the Sunday night NFL package. You do have to have a technician install a dish antenna on your house, and unlike DIRECT TV NOW you can't put the package on hold for a number of weeks.

Is there some easy way to compare channel lineups between SELECT™ and GOTTA HAVE IT without spending all afternoon with a piece of paper and pencil?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-28-2017, 10:32 AM
 
Location: McAllen, TX
3,988 posts, read 2,623,523 times
Reputation: 4759
Anything that calls for a contract and does not set some type of fix on pricing is the same old song and dance. You get a great price up front BUT then after a certain amount of time it goes back to regular price and THEN the price keeps going up at their discretion. All of this and still you are paying for channels you (will) never watch. Then, if you want out of the contract there is a termination fee or you ruin your credit or worse. There are a LOT of streaming options available now and frankly I wouldn't choose anything from DirectTV.

Check into Playstation Vue
https://www.playstation.com/en-us/network/vue/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2017, 11:04 AM
 
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
11,849 posts, read 13,973,633 times
Reputation: 8083
Paco is dying to cut the cord. LOL Just do it, man. You can always go back to cable / satellite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2017, 10:45 AM
 
Location: Greensboro, NC
5,896 posts, read 4,421,807 times
Reputation: 3934
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
The number of channels would seem to indicate that the GOTTA HAVE IT package under Direct TV Now is just a subset of the
smallest package of DIRECTTV. But I don't see an easy way to verify if that is really true.

The SELECT™ option costs
$50/month +taxes, for 12 mos. with 24-mo. TV agmt.
$90/mo. in mos. 13-24 (subject to change)

So for at least the first two years, it averages out to $70/month, which is the same as the GOTTA HAVE IT package. But it offers the Sunday night NFL package. You do have to have a technician install a dish antenna on your house, and unlike DIRECT TV NOW you can't put the package on hold for a number of weeks.

Is there some easy way to compare channel lineups between SELECT™ and GOTTA HAVE IT without spending all afternoon with a piece of paper and pencil?
What is your purpose for the comparison? Are you wanting to cut the cord? Are you merely wanting to save on your satellite TV bill?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2017, 11:31 AM
 
10,169 posts, read 10,497,864 times
Reputation: 5450
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
What is your purpose for the comparison? Are you wanting to cut the cord? Are you merely wanting to save on your satellite TV bill?
My brother lives in a high end apartment building in Atlanta. Despite the sky high rents until now they have only had Digital Subscriber Line at very slow speeds and AT&T satellite (but they have only one option chosen by the property management).

The building has decided to lower the rent by $100 and let people choose their own service, but at the same time they may wire the building for fiber optics so they can get higher speed internet. The residents are being asked for their opinion for AT&T fiber or Google fiber.

Logically, AT&T should offer some channel packages for a given set of prices, and then you pay different prices if you want it on cellular, fiber, or satellite or a third party internet. But as you know, no service company tries to be that logical.

Number of Channels being offered
DIRECTV-NOW 60+ | 80+ | 100+ | 120+
DIRECTV 150+ | 155+ | 185+| 245+ |230+ | 325+
U-verse TV 550+

I thought maybe there was some way to logically organize the offerings. Within one kind of brand name (i.e. DirectTV-Now) each higher category includes as a subset the lower categories. However, it is not clear if there is correlation across brands.

I know that my cable company is very deceptive about channel counts. They offer two core choices (1) 286+ Channels and (2) 78+channels. But they count the same network delivered in standard definition and high definition as two channels. So the 78+ channels actually ends up to be about 22 high definition channels (and among those 22 are duplicate FOX stations, PBS stations, Spanish stations, shopping stations, etc.). Basically, the package is a re-transmission of the broadcast channels in the city (or what used to be called "lifeline" cable) for people who have no antenna signal

SlingTV is very easy to understand. You get a core group of 15 channels+12 new media flaky channels and Spanish channels no matter what.
For $20 you get core + DisneyCorp channels (ESPN,Disney, Freeform) for a single stream.
For $25 you get core + variety of 21 mostly entertainment channels like FX, FXX, Bravo, and SyFy for up to three streams.
For $40 you get both together for up to three streams. Then there are 7 extra options for $5 apiece.

Last edited by PacoMartin; 08-29-2017 at 11:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2017, 05:03 AM
 
612 posts, read 317,339 times
Reputation: 376
the 2 advantages of regular Directv even the select package is more channels and local channels because i tried the most expensive directv now and did not get any local channels not even national feed of ABC CBS FOX OR NBC so i missed their shows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2017, 02:25 PM
 
Location: Greensboro, NC
5,896 posts, read 4,421,807 times
Reputation: 3934
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
My brother lives in a high end apartment building in Atlanta. Despite the sky high rents until now they have only had Digital Subscriber Line at very slow speeds and AT&T satellite (but they have only one option chosen by the property management).

The building has decided to lower the rent by $100 and let people choose their own service, but at the same time they may wire the building for fiber optics so they can get higher speed internet. The residents are being asked for their opinion for AT&T fiber or Google fiber.

Logically, AT&T should offer some channel packages for a given set of prices, and then you pay different prices if you want it on cellular, fiber, or satellite or a third party internet. But as you know, no service company tries to be that logical.

Number of Channels being offered
DIRECTV-NOW 60+ | 80+ | 100+ | 120+
DIRECTV 150+ | 155+ | 185+| 245+ |230+ | 325+
U-verse TV 550+

I thought maybe there was some way to logically organize the offerings. Within one kind of brand name (i.e. DirectTV-Now) each higher category includes as a subset the lower categories. However, it is not clear if there is correlation across brands.

I know that my cable company is very deceptive about channel counts. They offer two core choices (1) 286+ Channels and (2) 78+channels. But they count the same network delivered in standard definition and high definition as two channels. So the 78+ channels actually ends up to be about 22 high definition channels (and among those 22 are duplicate FOX stations, PBS stations, Spanish stations, shopping stations, etc.). Basically, the package is a re-transmission of the broadcast channels in the city (or what used to be called "lifeline" cable) for people who have no antenna signal

SlingTV is very easy to understand. You get a core group of 15 channels+12 new media flaky channels and Spanish channels no matter what.
For $20 you get core + DisneyCorp channels (ESPN,Disney, Freeform) for a single stream.
For $25 you get core + variety of 21 mostly entertainment channels like FX, FXX, Bravo, and SyFy for up to three streams.
For $40 you get both together for up to three streams. Then there are 7 extra options for $5 apiece.
OK, but wait. Are you saying that currently, internet and cable is offered or included within his rent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2017, 09:46 PM
 
10,169 posts, read 10,497,864 times
Reputation: 5450
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
OK, but wait. Are you saying that currently, internet and cable is offered or included within his rent?
Up until last month he got a package via satellite that was included in his rent. The only option for internet was DSL at a very slow speed (probably 3 Mbps). Last month they dropped the rent and gave people the option to purchase satellite package and are planning to put fiber into the building for high speed internet.

AT&T has this large number of options, I was just trying to make sense of them. By channels :
DIRECTV-NOW 60+ | 80+ | 100+ | 120+
DIRECTV 150+ | 155+ | 185+| 245+ |230+ | 325+
UVERSE 200+| 360+ | 470+| 550+

It is not clear if AT&T or Google is going to put fiber into the building.

It looks like Google Fiber has only one choice, 220+ channels, HD included, and thousands of shows and movies on demand.

So if he gets wired for Google Fiber the only decision he will have to make is whether or not to spend $90 for their tv package.

Last edited by PacoMartin; 09-01-2017 at 09:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2017, 08:34 AM
 
Location: Greensboro, NC
5,896 posts, read 4,421,807 times
Reputation: 3934
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
Up until last month he got a package via satellite that was included in his rent. The only option for internet was DSL at a very slow speed (probably 3 Mbps). Last month they dropped the rent and gave people the option to purchase satellite package and are planning to put fiber into the building for high speed internet.

AT&T has this large number of options, I was just trying to make sense of them. By channels :
DIRECTV-NOW 60+ | 80+ | 100+ | 120+
DIRECTV 150+ | 155+ | 185+| 245+ |230+ | 325+
UVERSE 200+| 360+ | 470+| 550+

It is not clear if AT&T or Google is going to put fiber into the building.

It looks like Google Fiber has only one choice, 220+ channels, HD included, and thousands of shows and movies on demand.

So if he gets wired for Google Fiber the only decision he will have to make is whether or not to spend $90 for their tv package.
How much is the Google Fiber package? If it's $100/month for internet and 220 channels, that's pretty good. I was paying more than that for less channels and slower internet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2017, 02:27 PM
 
10,169 posts, read 10,497,864 times
Reputation: 5450
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
How much is the Google Fiber package? If it's $100/month for internet and 220 channels, that's pretty good. I was paying more than that for less channels and slower internet.
Not that cheap.

Google Fiber in Atlanta is $50 for 100Mbps or $70 for 1000Mbps or Gigabit.
Phone service is an additional $10.
Basic television is an additional $90 for 220 channels.
Spotify Premium is an additional $15
HBO NOW® is an additional $15

Google tries very hard to be straightforward about pricing, since the industry is generally so deceptive. Cable is full of teaser rates, "below the line surcharges", mandatory equipment rental, and complicated packages that give you discounts over ridiculously high "retail rates". You end up talking to different people, threatening to leave, and other kinds of maneuvers to keep the price low.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top