U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 04:56 PM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
2,371 posts, read 965,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I'll third the recommendation on the Coolpix, with some caveats - it doesn't have a true manual mode and you'll find yourself subject to the idiosyncrasies of the autofocus and exposure calculations. Most of the time it gets them right, but sometimes some post work in photoshop is needed. It is frustrating though that sometimes a shot will be lost because you can't manual focus. You also can't change lenses, which for a point-n-shoot or vacation camera is fine, but not happy for true professional work. The biggest drawback is the lack of a regular viewfinder. In bright light the exposed viewscreen is barely visible. You either suffer with it or try to make some sort of sunshield.

The zoom is excellent for the price range, not going into digital zoom until much later than most cameras. The standard AA batteries is a big plus. Movie mode is OK, but with the weird digital stuff when there is movement of the camera while the stabilization is going.

Be aware that if you have a regular camera and are going to places like craft shows or galleries, people are going to look at you crosseyed and frown.
If you can deal with the periodic 'Canon blur' their PowerShot series are great. Strong zoom lenses and loads of manual mode settings, plus menus you can navigate with your hands tied.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2017, 05:24 PM

2,909 posts, read 1,709,430 times
"Canon blur"? That's a new one, and nothing relevant came up in Google.

Can you explain?

Old 08-29-2017, 08:53 AM

3,991 posts, read 2,627,494 times
I have a Nikon D3200 DSLR at 24mp with multiple lenses. Wide Angle, Macro, 200-400mm Zoom, low light. It all depends on how good of pictures you want to take. The whole package cost me around $700 and it is considered the lower end of the spectrum for Nikon cameras. Does it take better pictures than a cell phone? Yes. Do I always need this high quality pictures? No. My cell phone does 13mp but does not have that many options.

Old 08-29-2017, 09:19 AM

10,756 posts, read 18,017,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post

Can you explain?
Can't say I've ever heard (or experienced) that one either

Old 08-29-2017, 09:22 AM

544 posts, read 227,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Taking pictures with a phone is... stressful? To each his own.

The Coolpix line from Nikon is still one of the best.
https://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Coolpix...3930087&sr=1-9
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to do some additional research and see what what I come up with.

And yes, to me taking pictures with a phone has proven stressful. I often seem to encounter things like:

-- I see a great shot, but through the phone it looks much farther away. I try to play with the zoom, but while I fuss with it the landscape changes and the opportunity is gone

-- I take a picture, but the angle isn't quite right. While I wait for the phone to save the not-so-good photo, the opportunity to take another passes

I don't have much patience for things like that. I wish I did.

Old 08-29-2017, 09:25 AM

The problems with cell phone cameras are:

1. No zoom. You get what your lens allows, which is semi-wide angle. Digital zoom does not count.
2. Low light noise, because of the tiny sensors.
3. The short focal length means everything will always be in focus. You can't get blurred backgrounds.

As you step up, various cameras address each of these limitations. Some are super zooms. Some have large sensors for less noise. Interchangable lens cameras like SLR offer supreme flexibility. But each step up has its price, in $, size or convenience. That's why it's difficult for strangers to recommend "the best" because it depends on the user and the use.

Also, I'd qualify gguerra's comment. Any camera, from cell phone on up, can take good pictures, as he said, since beauty is in the eyes of the photographer. Complex, heavy cameras like his are only "better" in the sense that you can get certain kinds of pictures that are difficult with cheaper kit, but at a price - cost and weight.

Old 08-29-2017, 12:33 PM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
2,371 posts, read 965,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post

Can you explain?
Something I've experienced, at no regular frequency, with the PowerShots I've owned.

I press the shutter button, just like on any other camera, and I get the blurriest result imaginable! Auto focus is on, and I'm using manual speed and aperature mode. Did not happen with Nikon or other brand point & shoots I've used. Typically happens when I've got only one fleeting chance to compose the frame and shoot.

Old 08-29-2017, 12:57 PM

Any camera can have a focus failure, even my 70D. A rule of thumb is the more focus options, the more likely failure, and sometimes the reason is quite curious. Most cameras, when using multiple points, focus on the nearest. Sometimes you don't want the nearest.

Why, if Canon gives you focus trouble, have you owned multiple ones?

You should note too that I've seen no reports of focus problems with Canon (or any other brand for that matter). Yes, some models of some brands are better in some situations than others. (If you note a lot of qualifiers in the previous sentence, it's because there are many options in this marketplace.)

FYI, I've analyzed many a blurry picture in Lightroom (there's a plug in that shows focus points) and in every case, it was because focus locked on a location I did not expect.

Old 08-29-2017, 01:04 PM

8,066 posts, read 6,139,647 times
It's all about the glass. Cell phones have a tiny fixed range lense and you are pretty much limited to wide angle shots. If you want a nice looking picture you want a zoom lens. Look to compare pixel resolution and zoom range to find a nice one. An actual optical viewfinder is a blessing. I had a very hard time last week shooting the total eclipse without one.

Old 08-29-2017, 01:05 PM

8,181 posts, read 3,677,901 times
I have had very good luck with Nikon. I don't think you can go wrong with the cool pics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics