U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 01:12 PM

6,137 posts, read 2,775,542 times

Advertisements

I wish I could have the digital equivalent of a Canon FTB. Manual focus, needle-in-the-ring light metering and setting of aperture and exposure, but with digital receiver and storage, and image stabilization. Honestly, I don't find that auto focus or auto exposure help me much at all. A significant fraction of the time I get a result that I didn't want. Of course, I can just snap another one, but sometimes I get tired of having to fool the autofocus or autoexposure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2017, 03:44 PM

14,529 posts, read 16,546,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael917 View Post
I'm going on a big trip in two months and am planning to buy a new camera for the experience. I know the majority of people today use their phones for taking photos, but I've never cared for this option. It doesn't help that I have a low-end Android phone that doesn't take great pictures, but that's only part of it. I simply prefer the familiarity of the camera. When I'm off in a faraway land, I'd prefer not being stressed over picture-taking. I'd rather just enjoy myself.

That being said, anybody have a recommendation for a good quality digital camera?
Nikon D3400 would be my pick. Canon Rebel T5/T6 is another choice. The T5 is a bit cheaper and the T6 is fairly comparable to the D3400 but it's bigger, heavier, and not quite as good. So D3400 or T5 on a budget.

Personally, I find shooting with a DSLR far more stressful than a cell phone. Cell phone you take it out and point it and take a picture. If it's good, it's good. If it's not good, well... try again. If it's still not good you're not going to get a good picture anyway so go about your day. There's no need to worry about filters or lenses or external flash or light meters. I mean, it's great to have all that. It will let you get a good picture in a lot of situations where you cannot with a point and shoot camera... but it's also a lot to carry around and worry about.

Old 08-29-2017, 04:16 PM

3,023 posts, read 1,517,812 times
I use my Nikon D3100 for vacations. I do like cell phones for the quick access

Old 08-29-2017, 04:50 PM

2,903 posts, read 1,705,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
I wish I could have the digital equivalent of a Canon FTB. Manual focus, needle-in-the-ring light metering and setting of aperture and exposure, but with digital receiver and storage, and image stabilization. Honestly, I don't find that auto focus or auto exposure help me much at all. A significant fraction of the time I get a result that I didn't want. Of course, I can just snap another one, but sometimes I get tired of having to fool the autofocus or autoexposure.
Try a DSLR using the manual settings. You can turn off autofocus, and use manual shutter and aperture. In decent cameras, you will get an indication in the viewfinder about correct exposure. Some (sadly not mine) even have something called focus peaking to help you focus. No microprism, though.

Old 08-29-2017, 05:18 PM

11,257 posts, read 44,325,691 times
another vote here for the Coolpix.

my phone is an old Motorola flip phone and the camera isn't very good on it.

both chosen because they are inexpensive and not theft targets when I'm traveling.

I bought two Nikon 14 megapixel Coolpix on eBay for $30. The much upgraded memory card was another $20. I can charge one camera battery while the other camera is in use, although a charge can generally last me several days of snapshots.

I'm not that serious of a photographer, so the image quality is sufficient for my "travel record", places I've visited, fish I've caught, etc. Features found on higher end digital cameras simply aren't needed for my purposes.

Doubtless there are other fine pocket cameras in the marketplace ... Mrs Sun has a Kodak EasyShare 195 which I think gives higher quality pix than the Nikon ... but it's a larger camera than the Coolpix and doesn't fit in my pocket.

PS: years ago, I had a 500C H-blad given to me by a family friend. Along with a couple of other 2 1/4 x 2 1/4 twin lens film cameras (mostly Mamiya) and a 4 x 5 Speed Graphic, I had a pretty wide range of lenses and pro level film cameras. Did my own processing for years, too, for slides/prints/enlargements. What I proved in time was that I had a poor eye for artistic pictures of lasting interest beyond a basic documentation. Out of a thousand negatives, I probably have only a dozen or so worth printing for display other than my own curiosity & records. Then changed over to 35 mm with Nikon, Yashica, Canon, and a number of other cameras for the convenience, especially for documenting my business project installs. Again had a great selection of high qual lenses donated to me by a retired pro photographer who'd built up a nature and weddings photography biz over 45 years. He's got published books of his nature photos and outdoor recreation activities ... and sold photos to magazines for fishing/boating/sailing/wildlife/adventure activities. I'd say he was a talented artist ... which underscored the fact that I wasn't anywhere in his level of artistry despite the good pro equipment.

IMO, the bottom line is that most of us can spend a lot on high qual pro level equipment and still not produce anything better than a snapshot quality photo most of the time. Given the convenience and generally good quality of results from the pocket snapshot cameras (take your pick of the lot), for most of us the snapshots are more than sufficient product.

Old 09-02-2017, 07:00 PM

5,669 posts, read 3,287,697 times
I bought my Canon 8 years ago for a trip to Alaska. It does a great job. I bought it a holster that goes on my belt.

I don't own a smart, dumb or any other cell phone. Don't want to go through learning how to use one.

Old 09-03-2017, 05:48 AM

34,318 posts, read 59,648,976 times
Used camera prices are in a tailspin.
Canon camera and lens refurbs are pretty affordable on their site, particularly if you stalk their regular sale discounts.

You can buy good entry-level DSLRs on eBay and Craigslist for <$100
I just got an excellent condition Canon XSI with kit lens for $40.
Great travel camera, if losing or breaking a camera is a concern.

I like shooting with DSLR much more than with the phone, and I have taken some great shots with my phone.

Old 09-03-2017, 07:44 AM

2,903 posts, read 1,705,039 times
Canon has a big plus in their newer DSLR - the dual pixel technology, which makes a huge difference in video recording. Their neglect of ILC (mirror-less) is puzzling, though.

Old 09-04-2017, 09:46 PM

14,389 posts, read 21,067,327 times
Buy https://us.leica-camera.com/Photography/Leica-Q/LEICA-Q and you will be happy.

Old 09-05-2017, 12:16 AM

1,294 posts, read 769,738 times
A real camera has to have a viewfinder. I have a Canon A1400 that fits in my shirt pocket, has decent battery life on rechargable AA cells. an optical viewfinder, 5x optical zoom, 20x digital, a dedicated button for 720p video. I turn off the screen and either use the OVF or just point at something and shoot. If there is sound and motion like a waterfall or crashing waves I'll shoot some video.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics