Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 02:34 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,275,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
so with any of these headsets, i would need to also purchase a gaming PC? are there two player games available so i would be able to get 2 headsets and play with someone else (or more than 2 people)?
It doesn't necessarily have to be a gaming PC, but it does need to have a GPU that can do several trillion operations per second. I think a 1070 is a good spot for the Rift and Vive, but the Vive Pro really benefits from the top of the line (right now), the 1080Ti. A new generation of GPUs are a few months away (there's a thread in the Computers subforum).

There are also the standalone systems (see the second link in my earlier post), but they don't have the same amount of freedom or processing power or the same games available. The Oculus "Santa Cruz" seems to be the most promising of these since it'll have full 6DoF controllers, but it may be ten months away still. On the other side, a couple of these only have 3DoF for the head (meaning you basically can't move at all since there's no positional tracking).

Finally, there's the PSVR, but you'll need to purchase a PS4 Pro for that. There are sales: Sony to Offer Big Discounts

The PSVR has a completely different game ecosystem and its tracking can be pretty lackluster (it is full 6DoF for both head and controllers though). I wouldn't say it's a 'room-scale' system -- somebody coined the term 'couch-scale' to describe it. It is the most comfortable of the systems, although I had trouble with the chassis wanting to slide forward with very little movement. The PS4 Pro has decent power, but all PSVR games must be compatible with the original PS4, which holds them back a bit.

There are a few assorted other systems, such as the Pimax 4K (no positional tracking) and the Pimax 8K (still in Kickstarter, plagued with delays, but definitely ambitious).

-----------------------------------

As far as multiplayer, there are a number of those out there for PSVR and the PC-based systems (SteamVR and Oculus' store), but there's not really yet any way to have two or more people in the same physical area and see them in VR. You can use two PCs and two Vives and the normal basestations in the same area, and both of you could be in the same game in the same server, but your virtual location won't match your physical location. HTC did have one demo at CES a few months ago where they had four people using Vive Pros wirelessly in the same area AND they could see each other in VR correctly placed where they were in physical space, but that was a highly specialized demo. Other than that, the VR arcades are specializing in that kind of thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2018, 08:25 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
It doesn't necessarily have to be a gaming PC, but it does need to have a GPU that can do several trillion operations per second. I think a 1070 is a good spot for the Rift and Vive, but the Vive Pro really benefits from the top of the line (right now), the 1080Ti. A new generation of GPUs are a few months away (there's a thread in the Computers subforum).

There are also the standalone systems (see the second link in my earlier post), but they don't have the same amount of freedom or processing power or the same games available. The Oculus "Santa Cruz" seems to be the most promising of these since it'll have full 6DoF controllers, but it may be ten months away still. On the other side, a couple of these only have 3DoF for the head (meaning you basically can't move at all since there's no positional tracking).

Finally, there's the PSVR, but you'll need to purchase a PS4 Pro for that. There are sales: Sony to Offer Big Discounts

The PSVR has a completely different game ecosystem and its tracking can be pretty lackluster (it is full 6DoF for both head and controllers though). I wouldn't say it's a 'room-scale' system -- somebody coined the term 'couch-scale' to describe it. It is the most comfortable of the systems, although I had trouble with the chassis wanting to slide forward with very little movement. The PS4 Pro has decent power, but all PSVR games must be compatible with the original PS4, which holds them back a bit.

There are a few assorted other systems, such as the Pimax 4K (no positional tracking) and the Pimax 8K (still in Kickstarter, plagued with delays, but definitely ambitious).

-----------------------------------

As far as multiplayer, there are a number of those out there for PSVR and the PC-based systems (SteamVR and Oculus' store), but there's not really yet any way to have two or more people in the same physical area and see them in VR. You can use two PCs and two Vives and the normal basestations in the same area, and both of you could be in the same game in the same server, but your virtual location won't match your physical location. HTC did have one demo at CES a few months ago where they had four people using Vive Pros wirelessly in the same area AND they could see each other in VR correctly placed where they were in physical space, but that was a highly specialized demo. Other than that, the VR arcades are specializing in that kind of thing.
this all sounds super awesome and still a little too technical for me.

i see you mentioned VR Arcade and so i searched and saw this not too far from me:

https://www.ctrlvarcade.com/ctrl-v-h...plaza/#pricing

maybe i should check it out.

someone suggested that i walk into best buy and they probably have a demo station.

btw, thanks a lot for your input. i will also be going back to check out everything you have posted in more detail when i have the time.

Old 05-31-2018, 08:39 AM

I definitely recommend the VR Arcades (there are various kinds).

Best Buy may have demos, and the Microsoft Store usually has demos as well (lately it's been the Windows MR headsets). Just be aware that the immersion gets a lot better when you're at home and don't have store goons talking at you and have time to tweak things a bit.

Old 06-01-2018, 06:44 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,694,332 times
VRcades aren't all that common yet.

Old 06-01-2018, 07:46 AM

They pop up in odd locations, like Tulsa OK: https://www.xtremetulsa.com/

Old 11-16-2018, 12:22 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,195,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Untethered headsets are what will take it to the next level.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtvaj125 View Post
No something like that will require 3d holographics. Current VR tech is just holding a small screen in front of your face. Even if we expand on that with better screens we are still limited by the lens, which is just stretching the screen to try and cover our field of vision. You'll quickly hit the limit of this tech before achieving that kind of virtual reality.
Well boys and girls, stand alone VR technology is here. I just ordered an Occuls One yesterday after seeing a commercial and looking it up and reading reviews for a couple of hours. I decided to jump into VR.

It DOES show 3D.

Look it up, looks pretty interesting to me. I am not a gamer. Bought for movies. Hope this might add a little more fun into retirement!

Old 11-16-2018, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Well boys and girls, stand alone VR technology is here. I just ordered an Occuls One yesterday after seeing a commercial and looking it up and reading reviews for a couple of hours. I decided to jump into VR.

It DOES show 3D.

Look it up, looks pretty interesting to me. I am not a gamer. Bought for movies. Hope this might add a little more fun into retirement!
Do you mean the Oculus Go?

It is standalone, and a very good proposition for media viewing, so I think you'll be pleased with your venture.

That said, it is pretty limited (if you were a gamer) since it really doesn't let you move (it head-tracks rotation but not position). Next year's Oculus Quest is a more powerful gaming-oriented system that I will be purchasing -- it features full 6 degrees of freedom for both the headset and dual controllers.

Old 11-16-2018, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
Do you mean the Oculus Go?

It is standalone, and a very good proposition for media viewing, so I think you'll be pleased with your venture.

That said, it is pretty limited (if you were a gamer) since it really doesn't let you move (it head-tracks rotation but not position). Next year's Oculus Quest is a more powerful gaming-oriented system that I will be purchasing -- it features full 6 degrees of freedom for both the headset and dual controllers.
Yes, Occulus Go. Duh, I have been telling everyone the wrong name.

This is my very first venture into anything like this, I have only had my Smart phone and tablet for two years! I am technology challenged. So I think I won't be disappointed because this is a first!

The people who wrote reviews, a lot of them said they knew about the limitations but still bought it and are quite pleased. That made me feel good about buying it. These were experienced gamers.

It's on its way! Will be here tomorrow. I am excited!

Old 11-17-2018, 06:29 PM

Oh, my goodness! This VR is great! I am astounded! I think my on-line time is going to be reduced drastically. Wow.

Old 11-18-2018, 09:25 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,694,332 times
You should have spent just a few dollars more. The Go is OK but the new line of Windows Mixed Reality Headsets are a little better.

https://www.samsung.com/us/computing...e800zaa-hc1us/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics