U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 09:44 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,908 posts, read 33,651,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Like bringing in $19 billion. Anyone know where that money's going?
The spectrum auction revenues are mostly going straight into the general Federal budget.

Quote:
Google, Verizon, AT&T, etc were bidding on that space. There will no doubt be new wireless services being offered by them in the next few years.
Google appears to only bidding to get the price up to a figure predetermined by Congress that forces the auction winners to make the spectrum available to other users. Google didn't win any of the auctions.

Quote:
Me too. The market should have driven this decision, not Congress.

It's not the government who wanted this - it's the content producers, who happen to have a lot of influence on the government.
You really think the government didn't want this new revenue source? The content people are learning that DRM is a barrier to sales. I wouldn't get too worried about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2008, 10:44 AM

3,517 posts, read 12,158,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Forest View Post
Cost $40 + sales tax $3.40 - $40 Rebate = $3.40. ..
Where are they being sold for $40? Every price I've seen is at least $50 and usually $60 and up. It is called gouging.

Old 03-31-2008, 12:03 PM

3,698 posts, read 10,312,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shenane View Post
I'm probably the last person on earth who doesn't have cable or satellite TV. I can get ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox and a couple of local stations with my little antenna. I've had free TV all these years, I really don't want to pay for a box to watch TV (which is mostly commercials). Even with the coupon, the box will still cost me money (maybe about 30 dollars).
You'll need a digital converter or a digital ready TV, but you'll still be able to pick up digital broadcasts with your antenna. And your picture quality will be better than folks with cable TV or satellite TV, since it won't be compressed.

Check out the article and comments at Cable: Comcast Degrades HD Quality To Make Room For More Channels (http://consumerist.com/374090/comcast-degrades-hd-quality-to-make-room-for-more-channels - broken link)

Old 03-31-2008, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post
You'll need a digital converter or a digital ready TV, but you'll still be able to pick up digital broadcasts with your antenna. And your picture quality will be better than folks with cable TV or satellite TV, since it won't be compressed.

Check out the article and comments at Cable: Comcast Degrades HD Quality To Make Room For More Channels (http://consumerist.com/374090/comcast-degrades-hd-quality-to-make-room-for-more-channels - broken link)
Or, you won't get anything at all. That is what I'm afraid of since I live some distance from any transmitter. The digital pictures are either very good or not there at all.

Old 03-31-2008, 06:54 PM

1,368 posts, read 6,016,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
Or, you won't get anything at all. That is what I'm afraid of since I live some distance from any transmitter. The digital pictures are either very good or not there at all.
If they're very good... you obviously get them...

Old 03-31-2008, 07:29 PM

2,736 posts, read 8,784,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek View Post
Right, but those at a distance from towers (like myself) who barely get any signal anyway will be left in the dark. Doesn't matter to me as I'm a DISH subscriber, but not all of my neighbors are. They will likely be SOL.

Old 04-01-2008, 12:42 AM

4,108 posts, read 6,210,175 times
Quote:
Where are they being sold for $40? Every price I've seen is at least $50 and usually $60 and up. It is called gouging.
Texas HEB grocery stores.....

Old 04-01-2008, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek View Post
Some channels I get very poor pictures but the sound comes in, so I'm not at all sure those would come in with the digital. I didn't want to invest in a dish because for the amount of TV I watch, it didn't seem like a very good return on the high cost.

From what I've read, if the signal doesn't come in clean at a certain percentage that is higher than the grainy, ghosty images you can get with analog, then you get nothing at all.

Old 04-01-2008, 09:23 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,908 posts, read 33,651,200 times
Quote:
They are not being sold that cheap yet.

I read an article yesterday which said that one of the satellite TV companies is working on a model of DTV tuner that will sell for $40. Speculation is that when that model reaches stores this summer that other companies will lower the prices on their competing models.

The article recommends waiting until that new model is released to request your $40 coupon, since it will be more than 3 months before this new model reaches store shelves.

Advice: You Might Want to Wait on that DTV Converter Voucher

Old 04-01-2008, 11:52 AM

1,368 posts, read 6,016,433 times
Yeah, digital will only work if you get X%, after that... it just drops entirely.

I believe the digital signal tends to be a stronger signal than analog though. At least, thats what my mind is telling me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics