U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 08:04 PM

3,160 posts, read 8,218,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
Cable providers in the US are not allowed to encrypt the signals of local broadcasters on their systems. (The rule requiring it is called digital must-carry.) The local channels have to be made available in the clear (unencrypted) for viewing by a subscriber's QAM tuner.
That is correct, but the poster just mentioned that there were 5 channels moving to digital. She didn't mention if they were local channels or basic networks like Travel, GSN, etc. Comcast has been moving those types of channels to digital, and sometimes encrypting them, in which case a QAM tuner isn't going to do you any good (unless you get a CableCard, but there's no way I'm going to recommend that to a technical novice).

Quote:
You're also correct that the set-top boxes sold in stores are not QAM tuners, they are ATSC tuners. ATSC tuners can only receive signals over the air. As far as I know, there are no set-top QAM tuners available for sale, but most modern digital TV sets are equipped to tune in QAM channels on cable. Since some are not QAM-tuner equipped, this is an important feature that you should look for when purchasing a digital TV, if you are a cable subscriber.
Agreed that getting a QAM-equipped TV is best, but I'll note there are some DVD recorders with QAM tuners that could serve as a substitute if you're lacking a QAM tuner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 11:22 PM

12,631 posts, read 32,270,554 times
So for a tech dummy ...me You are saying the boxes in the store are only for TV on Antennas. & to get the chanels that they [cable co] is not changing I have to rent thier box! That ups my bill $5 more per month....sheesh

Old 06-11-2008, 11:27 AM

3,160 posts, read 8,218,341 times
Pretty much, yeah. If you have a newer HDTV, with a QAM tuner, you could just scan the channels to see if they come up. If they don't, or if you have an older TV, you're stuck with the cable box. The DTV converter boxes in stores won't help you here.

Old 06-11-2008, 01:23 PM

12,631 posts, read 32,270,554 times
OK thanks...yep just a tech dummy so I dont know a thing about those 5 channels. [I think 3 are local...] What really gets me is the Concast Tech could not tell me a thing...said that information will be ready next year!!!

Old 06-09-2009, 12:33 PM

1 posts, read 2,890 times
I bought the converter box and scanned all the channels, I get all the local stations here in sacramento except 10. I have not been able to watch my extreme makeover home edition for 3 weeks now. Will I get 10 after June 12th. I used to have directv but in the complex I live in we were charged for 2 bills,1 bill for equipment rental and the other for the service. Stupid huh.

Old 06-10-2009, 06:27 AM

3,517 posts, read 12,158,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sm_vermn View Post
Local newspaper report states that DC stations are already using their ultimate rated power for their digital transmissions, as well as their final locations on their towers. My reception so far is so iffy that I am holding out hope that switching off the analog transmitters will set me free.
One of them was airing ads that their digital signal would go to their VHF channel (can't remember if it is 7 or 9) on 6/12. I'm assuming that I'll have to re-scan the channels then. Also, right before the 2/17 deadline, channel 26 suddenly came up good on digital but after the delay it has been gone. I hope they increase their signal.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:35 PM

16,248 posts, read 21,620,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
One of them was airing ads that their digital signal would go to their VHF channel (can't remember if it is 7 or 9) on 6/12. I'm assuming that I'll have to re-scan the channels then. Also, right before the 2/17 deadline, channel 26 suddenly came up good on digital but after the delay it has been gone. I hope they increase their signal.
Some signals will go up after tomorrow so it would be wise for everybody to rescan Monday night. Some digital stations were held at half power to avoid interference with existing analog stations on the same frequency. Those analog stations have to vacate the frequency at 2PM EDT tomorrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics