Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2018, 09:38 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times

Advertisements

Bought one of these for my sister in March 2018
She has older tv and doesn't require upgraded features because she can't access them
She texted me yesterday that the part that connects to the HDMI port on tv is not receiving any wifi so she can't get it to turn on...
She said she had her cable/wifi provider out to work on her system a week or so ago but the Roku WAS working fine after that work --- don't know specifically what they did--
But the Roku was working fine after service provider finished

She was watching "Orange is New Black" Saturday night and it just quit working--

Looked online and there is no support from Roku for this item--because it is so cheap--

Is there anything to be done except buy new stick?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2018, 09:46 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,468,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Bought one of these for my sister in March 2018
She has older tv and doesn't require upgraded features because she can't access them
She texted me yesterday that the part that connects to the HDMI port on tv is not receiving any wifi so she can't get it to turn on...
She said she had her cable/wifi provider out to work on her system a week or so ago but the Roku WAS working fine after that work --- don't know specifically what they did--
But the Roku was working fine after service provider finished

She was watching "Orange is New Black" Saturday night and it just quit working--

Looked online and there is no support from Roku for this item--because it is so cheap--

Is there anything to be done except buy new stick?
What, specially, quit working? The stick itself or the WiFi on the stick?

Old 07-16-2018, 10:42 AM

i think it wont even access the Roku to open the device
But her xplanation isnt clear

Old 07-17-2018, 12:11 AM

5,460 posts, read 8,178,236 times
She should probably try it in a TV HDMI port that she knows to be working, such as the one for her cable TV, to make sure the TV port isn't the problem.

Old 07-17-2018, 06:06 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,745,228 times
Quote:
i think it wont even access the Roku to open the device
But her explanation isn't clear
So, she unplugged it from the HDMI port on the TV and from electricity for at least 60 seconds and the ROKU start up screen did not come up? Tried different HDMI port on TV?

Try:

On your ROKU remote press:
Home 5 times,
Fast Forward 3 times,
Rewind 2 times.
Scroll to "Update Software" and click OK.

If everything fails, replace.

Old 07-17-2018, 06:31 PM

OK
I will send her that info
She has older tv --don't know if she has two HDMI ports

Old 08-04-2018, 07:50 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,365,584 times
Quote:
the part that connects to the HDMI port on tv is not receiving any wifi so she can't get it to turn on
You don't have to turn the Roku on - as long as it has power, it is always on.

The Router is connected to the Internet. The Roku is connected to the Router via WiFi and to the TV through the HDMI port. The most likely issue is that the Roku is not connecting to the WiFi signal.

In the Roku menu, select Settings, Network, and "Check connection" to check the Wireless and Internet Connections.

If the connection check is not successful, select "Set up connection", Wireless, and choose your network, then select Connect. If this does not connect, you might have to re-enter the password. You can usually find the password printed on a label on the cable modem/router, unless it was changed.

Old 08-04-2018, 09:12 PM

She could not get the Roku to respond and open the source/Roku menu

We bought another one with the AUX cables
I think for some reason her flatscreen is running a very hot HDMI port and keeping the Roku plugged in so that she can use it more easily just burns it out

She had no trouble hooking the new one up to her wifi and connecting the Roku via AUX cables so will see how long this one lasts

Old 08-06-2018, 07:53 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,557,555 times
Quote:
I think for some reason her flatscreen is running a very hot HDMI port and keeping the Roku plugged in so that she can use it more easily just burns it out.
Most HDMI ports have no power running through them so they cant get hot. There is a special kind of HDMI port called MHL port (usually colored purple) that has minimal power, but it is not that common.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile...efinition_Link

Quote:
She could not get the Roku to respond and open the source/Roku menu.We bought another one with the AUX cables
My Roku Express must be unplugged periodically to get it going again. I don't know why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics