Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 10:47 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
If you want to rail at a culture that replaces a $1000 iPhone every two years, I am OK with that. But I picture someone who rants about changes in broadcast TV as a kind of Mr. Scrooge ranting about someone taking away his quill pen which works perfectly find except for some ink smudges,
Well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty
Plus, I can see every pimple, pore, and hair growing out of people's follicles now.
Ha. Also well said. How good do we need?

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3
Well, I can tell you that for me there is zero value in owning a TV whether big or small. I honestly have not said at any time in the last 13 years I haven't had one, that I wished I had a TV at home.
And? What's your point? You don't like TV? I don't like Golf. I honestly have not said once in.... my life... that I wished I golfed.
I know, I know you are not missing anything. I get it. But you have missed some of the most incredible TV programming in history. It's not all 3s company anymore.

Quote:
I can see there could be a minimal value in owning (renting, really) a "smart" phone but the increased value it would bring is not sufficient to offset the increase in my fixed overhead and the time consumed in setting it up, maintaining the software, managing upgrades, etc.
Setup time with a new hone for the first time: 15 minutes
Maintaining software: this requires nothing on your part. Likewise managing upgrades. There really is no etc.

Quote:
My point was that people will often be better off DECIDING to make or not make a gadget purchase rather than simply going along with the latest generation of gadgets just because they're new. For me, the default decision will always be NOT to buy the newest and latest, until it's clearly proven to be valuable.
Do you have any idea how long it has taken for HD to become common? This did not happen over night. How about 4K? That's taking even longer. Why?
Because the MAJORITY of people are not what you consider 'upgrade chasers'. You see a few people buying the latest TV's and assume everyone is. That's not how it worked. HD and 4K didn't start becoming common until the prices cratered... and crater they did. There will always be early adopters. God bless 'em. But that is a minority.
and 4K STILL isn't widely enough adopted that anyone is actually filming 4K... I am pretty surprised the NFL hasn't made the jump yet. Even they know its really not worth the expense.

Quote:
My stereo dates back to 1982, for example.
My system is 2 years old, weighs less then 8 pounds and is portable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2018, 11:20 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Well said.

Ha. Also well said. How good do we need?

And? What's your point? You don't like TV? I don't like Golf. I honestly have not said once in.... my life... that I wished I golfed.
I know, I know you are not missing anything. I get it. But you have missed some of the most incredible TV programming in history. It's not all 3s company anymore.

Setup time with a new hone for the first time: 15 minutes
Maintaining software: this requires nothing on your part. Likewise managing upgrades. There really is no etc.

Do you have any idea how long it has taken for HD to become common? This did not happen over night. How about 4K? That's taking even longer. Why?
Because the MAJORITY of people are not what you consider 'upgrade chasers'. You see a few people buying the latest TV's and assume everyone is. That's not how it worked. HD and 4K didn't start becoming common until the prices cratered... and crater they did. There will always be early adopters. God bless 'em. But that is a minority.
and 4K STILL isn't widely enough adopted that anyone is actually filming 4K... I am pretty surprised the NFL hasn't made the jump yet. Even they know its really not worth the expense.

My system is 2 years old, weighs less then 8 pounds and is portable.
And they will crater again. 85" Class Q900 QLED Smart 8K UHD TV (2018)

https://www.samsung.com/us/televisio...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Old 11-27-2018, 03:38 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,017,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Maybe many of you like to be perpetually spending money on new machinery, but I sure don't. We had the same basic TVs for a half-century - just plug in and ready-to-go. Then about a decade ago, we switched from analog to digital. which pressured people to buy a new set. And now this?

The Growth of Sinclair's Conservative Media Empire
The company has achieved formidable reach by focussing on small markets where its TV stations can have a big influence
By Sheelah Kolhatkar

The F.C.C. soon made other regulatory modifications that were helpful to Sinclair. It eliminated a rule requiring television stations to maintain at least one local studio in licensed markets, essentially legitimatizing Sinclair’s centralized news model. Perhaps most perniciously, Pai took steps toward approving a new broadcast-transmission standard called Next Gen TV, which would require all consumers in the U.S. to purchase new televisions or converter devices.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...e-media-empire

Relax, this is ONLY for people that are TV antenna-only reception, and that need tuners in their tv sets for their local tv stations. Now, even IF you fit that, the government has ruled that the providers MUST continue to broadcast the ATSC 1.0 signals for a minimum of 5 YEARS after they start ATSC 3.0 broadcasting.

IF you are cable/satellite/streaming, it will never affect you as you will use the providers dvr/device hooked to your tv set to get their shows.

Oh, and this time there is NO provision for government subsidizing converters for receiving ATSC 3.0. So we are on our own to buy a new set with the proper tuners IF we want to receive the over the air ATSC 3.0 signals. OR to buy a converter at our own cost. Tv sets hardly cost anything compared to years ago, so it's not that much of a hardship.

Old 11-28-2018, 08:55 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
We buy pretty much whatever we want.

Wheeeee!!
not doing so would result in all those courier drivers hanging out at the loading dock, smoking cigarettes, rolling dice and drinking from paper bags...try to think of their families instead of your own for once.

Old 11-28-2018, 09:10 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
not doing so would result in all those courier drivers hanging out at the loading dock, smoking cigarettes, rolling dice and drinking from paper bags...try to think of their families instead of your own for once.
Oh gee, I guess you're right. I am afraid I haven't been a good citizen, what with all this saving of money. I really need to spend more money on unnecessary things, but it's hard.

Old 11-28-2018, 09:19 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Oh gee, I guess you're right. I am afraid I haven't been a good citizen, what with all this saving of money. I really need to spend more money on unnecessary things, but it's hard.
hiring a "personal shopper" might be the way to go for you then

Old 11-29-2018, 06:56 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,562,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
Tv sets hardly cost anything compared to years ago, so it's not that much of a hardship.
The last TV set I bought cost $89.99 and a 32" 720p. In the 1960's a 15" TV cost as much as an economy automobile.

A few years ago there was talk of forcing all television to go to IPTV so that the government could sell the TV broadcast frequencies. Now we are talking ATSC 3.0 and all the consumer has to do to see it is buy some relatively low cost equipment to tune it in for free.

Old 11-30-2018, 08:47 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
Don't you dare start making sense now Paco.

Old 12-01-2018, 09:21 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
NHK will start 8K broadcasts very soon.
One channel, 12 hours per day.
Get ready to upgrade.

Old 12-02-2018, 11:59 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Isnt this what tv and electronics manufacturers do though? (having to buy new equipment every so often).

For awhile video game companies did the same thing, they would come out with new systems frequently and new games, which would ONLY play on the new systems, Playstation is a great example, they had the PS-1, then later came the PS-2, then PS-3, PS-4 now...how long before PS-5 comes out and all the PS-4 games will not play on it? LOL

Its a way they can get people to keep spending money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics