U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2018, 04:47 PM

696 posts, read 638,929 times

Advertisements

I bought a new Sony 4k TV. I mostly watch Netflix movies through my Roku 3. Turned out Roku 3 doesn't support 4k. But my Netflix app in Sony does. But the problem is with the sound quality. My Onkyo receiver is connected to the TV via HDMI ARC and it gets the audio back from the TV in Dolby or whatever. But the sound quality is way inferior compared to the Roku (netflix)audio when playing the same movie scenes. Roku is connected via HDMI as well directly to the receiver.

Is there any limitation on the ARC port? Should I switch to TV optical out port to get better audio? My receiver shows the incoming audio signal from TV as Dolby but still the audio sucks.

Any tips from the pros?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2018, 08:42 PM

6,865 posts, read 9,538,404 times
On my Samsung, ARC is HDMI2 with cable connected to Onkyo HDMI TV/CD I haven't had problems with sound quality. Maybe your HDMI cable is bad.

Old 12-12-2018, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
On my Samsung, ARC is HDMI2 with cable connected to Onkyo HDMI TV/CD I haven't had problems with sound quality. Maybe your HDMI cable is bad.

Thanks for the response d4g4m. I have HDMI2 for ARC as well.The picture quality is ok. I get the sound as well, but the bass is weak compared to when I connect to Netflix through my Roku. It's on TV/CD channel as well on my 2011 Onkyo. I doubt it's the HDMI cable, probably have to switch it with the Roku one and test. Depends on the audio quality output from the TV I guess.

Old 12-13-2018, 12:52 PM

1,858 posts, read 2,259,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitynity View Post
Thanks for the response d4g4m. I have HDMI2 for ARC as well.The picture quality is ok. I get the sound as well, but the bass is weak compared to when I connect to Netflix through my Roku. It's on TV/CD channel as well on my 2011 Onkyo. I doubt it's the HDMI cable, probably have to switch it with the Roku one and test. Depends on the audio quality output from the TV I guess.
Is the audio output of your TV set to fixed or variable? Have you tried changing any of the audio mode settings on the TV? Does the TV have audio compression?

Old 12-14-2018, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaxwell View Post
Is the audio output of your TV set to fixed or variable? Have you tried changing any of the audio mode settings on the TV? Does the TV have audio compression?

I tried setting the sound to Cinema mode which adds the surround effects. I noticed the receiver shows 5.1 Dolby when connected to Netflix app on TV through ARC. So it's being passed through. When I play the same through Roku, it's louder with more bass. That's all.

I probably get a Roku Ultra that supports 4k and won't worry about the TV apps.

I checked the TV user manual, it says:

ARC Output format : Two channel linear PCM, 48khz 16bits, Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS
Digital Audio out :Two channel linear PCM, 48khz 16bits, Dolby Digital, DTS

HDMI Input Audio format: 5.1 channel linear PCM

I believe Dolby Digital and Plus is 5.1?

Model : XBR75x900F

Last edited by nitynity; 12-14-2018 at 12:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or