U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2018, 08:22 PM

10,160 posts, read 10,480,087 times

Advertisements

What is the name for this connector for wires to circuit boards?

It looks like this, but I can't be sure.
https://www.walmart.com/reviews/sell...4E81C90BE84868
Attached Thumbnails
connector for wires to circuit board-wire-connector-circuit-board-2.jpg   connector for wires to circuit board-wire-connector-circuit-board.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2018, 06:59 AM

4,877 posts, read 2,497,770 times
molex ?

mouser.com is good for those types of connectors.

Old 12-15-2018, 10:10 AM

6,020 posts, read 2,748,363 times
Well, Molex is one of many companies that make this type of connector. There are thousands and thousands of designs. You didn't explain why you want to know, but it is not easy for one not skilled in the art to figure out what exactly you have and buy a mating connector. Remember, too, you have the pins inside, which have to be crimped onto the wires using the correct crimper (not "some crimper", no, the correct one) then you have the housing that slips over and fixes the pins.

If you are trying to do some kind of a one-off, it would often be easier to just get a dead one of whatever you're trying to connect to, cut the connector off with as much of the leads as you can, and solder lead-to-lead upstream of the connector and then heat-shrink over the joints.

Old 12-15-2018, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
If you are trying to do some kind of a one-off, it would often be easier to just get a dead one of whatever you're trying to connect to, cut the connector off with as much of the leads as you can, and solder lead-to-lead upstream of the connector and then heat-shrink over the joints.

It is a one-off. I have this old TV/DVD combo unit that is without a remote control (presumably broken so a universal remote may not work). The controls that are built into the housing are inconveniently located on the side so you have to reach up and push the buttons by feel when it is hanging on the wall.

I thought it might be easier to simply disconnect the tiny circuit board that controls the buttons, pull it outside of the middle of the TV where you can see it. It works, but the wire is rather short. I thought I could add a triple wire bundle with the same connectors to make the wire longer without splicing in a new wire segment.
Attached Thumbnails
connector for wires to circuit board-controller-1.jpg   connector for wires to circuit board-controller-2.jpg  

Old 12-17-2018, 06:31 AM

6,020 posts, read 2,748,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post

It is a one-off. I have this old TV/DVD combo unit that is without a remote control (presumably broken so a universal remote may not work). The controls that are built into the housing are inconveniently located on the side so you have to reach up and push the buttons by feel when it is hanging on the wall.

I thought it might be easier to simply disconnect the tiny circuit board that controls the buttons, pull it outside of the middle of the TV where you can see it. It works, but the wire is rather short. I thought I could add a triple wire bundle with the same connectors to make the wire longer without splicing in a new wire segment.
Yep, that's exactly the kind of situation I'm referring to. Personally I would not spend the time trying to source the exact connectors for each end of your proposed extension cable. I would either splice directly in by soldering lead-to-lead, or I would find two standard male-female pairs of the right number of connectors from an existing cable assembly, cut the existing cable, and then splice lead-to-lead to add the detachable extension.

Given the trouble of the second alternative, I would just add wire length. It would take me well under an hour to go to the hardware store, buy 4 or 5 rolls of small gauge wire in the right colors, cut the existing cable, slip heat shrink over, solder lead-to-lead, and shrink the heat shrink tubing. I can't imagine finding exact replacement connector housings and pins in the catalog and placing an order in under an hour (just go to Digi-key and look up "Molex housing" and see how many listings there are, and that is just one manufacturer who may not be the mfr. of the connector in question - probably isn't), never mind waiting a week to get the parts and then the time to build the extension cable.

Old 12-18-2018, 12:51 PM

3,957 posts, read 2,608,667 times
Harmony remotes will work with just about anything. You choose your devices from a huge database and program your remote that way. I have the 650, refurb will run you about $30, a new one about $40. The next model up is rechargeable and that is the 700 (older model). They do have a lower one but it doesn't have the lcd screen on it.

I can almost guarantee that it can handle that TV. If you just want to fiddle around with it, that's different but as far as a remote you can get something that works.

You can search the database here.
https://support.myharmony.com/en-us/compatibility

Old 12-18-2018, 10:52 PM

https://www.amazon.com/Dynex-DX-19LD...ct_top?ie=UTF8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
I can almost guarantee that it can handle that TV.
The DX-19LD150A11 is in the database, but I am not even sure if the remote works. It never had a remote and it was bought at a Best Buy about 5 years ago where it had been run over by Pallet jack . I don't think I could get $20 for the TV, but it works in the tool room.

I simply got tired of reaching around and pushing buttons by feel. It is just annoying.

Old 12-21-2018, 09:54 AM

3,957 posts, read 2,608,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
The DX-19LD150A11 is in the database, but I am not even sure if the remote works.
That's kind of what I thought BUT the remote is great, supports up 8 devices and does much more like power on multiple devices, switch inputs etc. with a push of one button. It supports ALL of the functions on ALL of the remotes, so you can put your original remotes away. It does this with the help of the LCD screen where all of the functions show up.

I did see this on special, I thought I would post it here. Now, in retrospect, I should have got the rechargeable model like this one. I got the one that has replaceable batteries. I am still happy.

https://www.dealnews.com/Logitech-Ha.../17791748.html

Old 12-21-2018, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
That's kind of what I thought BUT the remote is great, supports up 8 devices and does much more like power on multiple devices, switch inputs etc. with a push of one button. It supports ALL of the functions on ALL of the remotes, so you can put your original remotes away.
I have another room where I have an Auvio speaker (SBX24210), an Arris dcx900 and an Insignia (NS-24L120A13) television. The TV is only 3 Watts per channel for audio and is difficult to hear if you are losing your hearing. The remote for the Arris DCX900 does not work with the input button from the television, and it doesn't even find the Auvio speaker. So your recommendation might be an excellent idea for that room as Auvio speaker is on the compatibility list

The Auvio speaker is 55 Watts is a big square soundbar which makes it is easy to stack other equipment on. I was going to trade it in for an Insignia speaker so that the remote would work, but Insignia wants $200 for 44 Watt bookshelf speakers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or