U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2018, 11:04 AM

3,957 posts, read 2,608,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Pluto TV the one I tried. There are about 500 channels so I could not find basics. Maybe with a few hours of exploring.
Give this a try, they have a free version which provides about 5 channels and they also have paid versions, it doesn't seem very expensive. I have the free one on my Fire Stick.

USTVNow for Roku – How To Install USTVNow App on Roku

Here's the main website.
TV Guide - North American TV Shows, Movie and Series - USTVnow
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2018, 01:51 PM

10,160 posts, read 10,480,087 times
There is a post on the ROKU forum that says they no longer support USTVNOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Give this a try, they have a free version which provides about 5 channels and they also have paid versions, it doesn't seem very expensive. I have the free one on my Fire Stick.
https://watch.ustvnow.com/subscription-modify
The US TV NOW Free Plan is usually 5 Channels but is Limited to Standard Definition Resolution and Limited DVR

The full-service plan is $24 but $19 first 3 months and offers 24 Channels at High Definition Resolution.

NBC is listed as one of the five free channels, but in another place CW is listed. I am not sure if that is an oversight, but CW has it's own Roku app
  1. ABC,
  2. CBS,
  3. CW
  4. FOX
  5. PBS
  6. MyNetworkTV
  7. AMC
  8. APL

9. BBCA
  10. BRAVO
  11. DSC
  12. ESPN

13. ESPN2HD
  14. FNC
  15. FREEFRM
  16. FX

17. AVTV
  18. NASATV
  19. NGC
  20. SUNDHD

21. SYFY
  22. TLCHD
  23. USA
  24. WEATHER

After the first three months, USLIVETV (24 channels) is $1 cheaper than the Sling Blue (45 channels) or Sling Orange (32 channels) options, but it picks some channels from the Orange side and some from the blue side.
https://www.sling.com/#dyn-grid-plan-tab-2-s-2

On the other hand, SlingTV does not offer FOX NEWS for either blue or orange which is often a make or break channel for older people.

Last edited by PacoMartin; 12-20-2018 at 02:47 PM..

Old 12-20-2018, 04:46 PM

27,121 posts, read 64,331,956 times
Thank you I will try that one. We did finally find some decent national news on the Pluto thing. the print is small and blurry so it is hard to tell what you are selecting. No local news.

No luck on sports yet, but maybe that is just because nothing happened to be on. We fond sports channels, but it is either just people talking about sports, or the oddball sports I mentioned earlier. My daughter was excited to see two anime channels. Dad may have to wrestle her for the remote.

Old 12-20-2018, 05:13 PM

Roku Removes USTVnow Service Following “3rd Party” Copyright Complaint
BY ANDY ON MARCH 29, 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Thank you I will try that one. We did finally find some decent national news on the Pluto thing. the print is small and blurry so it is hard to tell what you are selecting. No local news.
The Pluto stations tend to come and go depending on lawsuits. Is there a reason you are not using an antenna for local stations and Roku for Netflix or Hulu or Amazon?

In my case, the antenna only gets PBS, religion, local news and only one diginet station (Heroes and Icons)
https://imagecdn.heroesandiconstv.co...3-18%20E-P.pdf

Old 12-20-2018, 05:21 PM

2,826 posts, read 1,489,676 times
Your dad should be able to get enough news channels on his Roku to satisfy him. ABC, CBS, Sky News, PBS, and probably Fox news. Something for everyone. And they are all free.

Sports, however, are another thing, because they are good money makers in the commercial world. You might search around and find something, but you will probably end up with a subscription of some kind depending on which sport your dad is most interested in.

Old 12-20-2018, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
Your dad should be able to get enough news channels on his Roku to satisfy him. ABC, CBS, Sky News, PBS, and probably Fox news. Something for everyone. And they are all free.
Fox News is the most valuable news franchise and you can seldom get it legally for free. USTV Now has it on their $24 lineup, but you must watch it on the computer or on Android TV because the Roku app no longer works. Usually, you must pay upwards of $40 for a package that includes Fox News.

CNN is available on packages for as low as $15 a month.
ABC News does reports on the Roku channel for free.

Foreign 24 hours news channels like BBC World News, Al Jazeera from Qatar, Russia Today, are usually free.
PBS does not have 24-hour news.

Old 12-21-2018, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
Roku Removes USTVnow Service Following “3rd Party” Copyright Complaint
BY ANDY ON MARCH 29, 2018

The Pluto stations tend to come and go depending on lawsuits. Is there a reason you are not using an antenna for local stations and Roku for Netflix or Hulu or Amazon?

In my case, the antenna only gets PBS, religion, local news and only one diginet station (Heroes and Icons)
https://imagecdn.heroesandiconstv.co...3-18%20E-P.pdf
I'm not into Roku but there may be ways to "sideload" just about anything. I know that is the case with Amazon devices. I have sideloaded different apps that are not available through Amazon. Kodi is one of them. You can even "root" Amazon devices if you wish to. I haven't seen the need yet but it is possible.

Here's another app I have sideloaded on my Fire Stick. I also have it on my Android phone. You can do the same and mirror it to your Roku. It does carry all of the major networks and a lot of cable networks. The streams are out there regardless, all you have to do is find them. The app does this for you. It is not in HD but who cares, at least you have your content.

Mobdro — All the web's free video streams on your Android device

Instructions for mirroring it on the Roku
https://mobdro.io/roku/

Old 12-21-2018, 10:31 AM

2,826 posts, read 1,489,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
Fox News is the most valuable news franchise ....
That depends on your political perspective. I would debate that.

Old 12-21-2018, 10:35 AM

Quote:
I would have to agree on that one BUT I avoid discussing politics online or for that matter in person.

Old 12-21-2018, 09:28 PM

Quote:
I was speaking strictly from a fiscal viewpoint, not a political one. Fox News has the highest viewership and commands far more money in affiliate fees than any other 24-hour news channel.

Plus Fox News is a time-saving device as they have already pre-formed your opinion. All you have to do is nod your head.

I remember watching Fox News when Dzhokhar Tsarnaev (Boston Marathon bombings April 15, 2013) was apprehended hiding under a boat in Watertown. I remember the Fox anchor announcing to the public that no matter what happens Dzhokhar Tsarnaev should be executed (a sentence that still has not been carried out).

I was very indignant that the anchor had crossed the line from reporting the news to offering a personal opinion. The fact that 99% of the audience agreed with him (including me) is not really relevant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics