Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 11:22 PM

8,068 posts, read 8,359,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Most cord cutters are familiar with those options. This isn't really the cordcutter forum anyway.
He said he (or his dad) wanted to watch Michigan basketball. The streaming services I mentioned will give him the Big Ten Network. Beats paying $150 to a cable company.

I follow Pac-12 volleyball and softball and get Pac-12 Networks through SlingTV Orange Package ($25) + Sports Extra ($5), plus ESPN/2/3/U. No BTN, however.

fuboTV has P12Net and BTN, but no ESPN.

For news, I get CNN through SlingTV. The Roku has a lot of free news apps: CBS News Live 24/7, NBC News, ABC News, PBS, SkyNews (UK), Reuters TV (UK), DW (Germany), France24, NHK (Japan), NHK World, Al Jazeera.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2019, 11:40 PM

11,085 posts, read 17,532,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I bought a ROKU so we would have a way to allow my Dad to watch news and sports while he is living with us while recovering his health. I am struggling to figure out how to install a sports channel that will allow him to watch college basketball or football and which is free if possible. Also is there a decent news channel out there anywhere? Most of what I find is just a bunch of people who know very little making really poorly reasons arguments to support heir opinions; or patently false/spun BS favoring one side to the other. It there a basic news channel that will simply report what is going on? .

My problem is not that I cannot find a sports or new channel, but that I find hundreds and, so far none that provide the basic broadcasts I am looking for.
If you look on the roku channel, where all the movies are, there are a few news channels on there. And they're free. Couldn't tell you anything about it right now. I have the roku on our bedroom TV and I won't be up there much for a while (sleeping downstairs to help my ill wife). I added NBC News, CNN, and tried ABC news, but none of them are live broadcasts and just news stories that sometime repeat.
I'm not much on sports but my niece and her husband are and they love Sling.

Just got a good laugh from my latest roku email update. I know everybody has been dying to get this channel, but they have the Bob Ross "Joy of Painting" channel. lol He's the bushy haired old man who painted landscapes on TV.

Old 01-13-2019, 07:41 AM

4,605 posts, read 3,296,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post

Just got a good laugh from my latest roku email update. I know everybody has been dying to get this channel, but they have the Bob Ross "Joy of Painting" channel. lol He's the bushy haired old man who painted landscapes on TV.
Good Lord! Now if they got Helen Van Wyck's painting lessons, they might have something. But Bob Ross? His executors must be trying for every last penny.

Old 01-13-2019, 10:12 AM

23,591 posts, read 70,374,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
Good Lord! Now if they got Helen Van Wyck's painting lessons, they might have something. But Bob Ross? His executors must be trying for every last penny.
It must be a happy little channel.

It makes more sense to have it like this than on PBS stations one at a time.

I miss that the various local tv stations have stopped putting local newscasts on the web. Nowheretv channel used to be great for zooming in on national news at the local level.

Old 01-13-2019, 08:15 PM

8,068 posts, read 8,359,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I miss that the various local tv stations have stopped putting local newscasts on the web. Nowheretv channel used to be great for zooming in on national news at the local level.
Lots of local news apps on the Roku. In Seattle, KING 5 (ABC), KIRO 7 (CBS), but no KOMO 4 (ABC). My sister and niece live in Las Vegas, so I've got the KTNV 13 (ABC) news app from Las Vegas, for instance.

The NewsON and HaystackTV apps give you access to local TV news from all across the country.

Old 01-14-2019, 05:29 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,235,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
Bob Ross’s shows are also on Netflix and Amazon Prime Video. My son loves watching them.

Old 07-25-2019, 09:04 AM

83 posts, read 67,733 times
You live very close to Detroit. LOTS of free stations with an antenna.TV Fool
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics