Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2018, 12:14 AM

5,110 posts, read 3,069,372 times

Advertisements

I have a blu ray player in my computer console, and I have been having trouble using it lately. Mainly if I take a disc out and put another one in, the blu ray player will freeze up and not function anymore, and cannot play the second disc.

I tried other discs to see, and it would not play them either. So I shot the computer off, then turned it back on. It then played the disc I wanted just fine. But as soon as I finished playing one disc, and then ejected it and put another in, it froze again.

These dvds all play fine though if I restart the computer each time I want to play a new one. However, the computer takes about 10-15 minutes to restart and reload everytime I have to reboot it.

So is there anyway I can fix this blu ray drive problem, without having to restart the computer every time I want to insert and play a new blu ray?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2018, 10:16 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,473,517 times
Next time you put a disc in for the first time, go to browse the disc. If that works, there may be your answer, the software you use to playback the disc that is crashing?

If browsing the disc doesn't work, it may be a driver (software) or hardware (the drive). This is assuming it does the same thing with multiple discs.

Of course, it usually takes some troubleshooting to figure out the actual problem.

What do you use to "play" the discs?

Old 12-26-2018, 12:08 PM

I use windows media player to play the discs. but when I put the second disc in, I can't even browse it as it freezes and will not work just by putting it in, before I have a chance to do anything else. However, I tried it with some other discs and some discs will play, if I take out and put in another but others will not.

But those discs that won't play will play in my friends dvd players when I tried testing it, so they work fine and there is nothing wrong with them. The dvd drive on the computer will play them too, but only if I restart the computer, which I don't want to do every time.

Old 12-26-2018, 01:31 PM

When it freezes, try opening the drive, let it spin down when you do this. Then, put it back in to see if it will recover on it's own, it may take a little while to do this.

Other than that I have some questions.

Are these discs you burn yourself or store bought?

What drive is it, make and model? You can get that from device manager.

If they are discs you burn yourself what brand are they?

What OS?

Old 12-26-2018, 06:59 PM

Okay thanks. They are store bought.

When I open the tray, I can't let it spin down, cause it never spins in the first place. Like when I put it in, it freezes before it even has a chance to spin it seems.

According to the device manager, the DVD drive is the TSST corp CDDVDW SH-222BB ATA.

My computer is a windows 7.

Old 12-27-2018, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Okay thanks. They are store bought.

When I open the tray, I can't let it spin down, cause it never spins in the first place. Like when I put it in, it freezes before it even has a chance to spin it seems.

According to the device manager, the DVD drive is the TSST corp CDDVDW SH-222BB ATA.

My computer is a windows 7.
Since you buy the discs we can rule that out, it's not the media.

The drive is a Samsung and from about 2011/12, so 6 years old, model SH-222BB. Here's more on it.
https://www.cnet.com/products/samsun...al-ata-series/

Does that look like your drive?

You can try to update the firmware on it but I would just replace it BUT according to the model number you gave me that should not be able to read bluray discs. It only supports DVD so I'm wondering if that is the right model?

I would just buy another drive. Even bluray drives are pretty cheap nowadays.

Here's one. I happen to have an LG for several years now and have no problems.
https://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronic.../dp/B007VPGL5U

It should be pretty simple to replace.

Last edited by gguerra; 12-27-2018 at 09:40 AM..

Old 12-27-2018, 09:26 AM

Okay thanks. Yeah that kind of looks like it. I actually wanted to hook up my separate blu ray player to the computer console and just play blu rays through that since I like this new one I got, but for some reason, the computer will not accept it, whenever I attempt to plug it in, and doesn't recognize it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics