U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2018, 06:02 PM

7,459 posts, read 13,094,916 times

Advertisements

Hi, all. I just bought a new 60" Roku TV (my first new electronics purchase in 5 or 6 years, and made only because someone who shall remain nameless damaged my 55" TV ) -- it was delivered on Monday and I set it up (very, very, very carefully) on Wednesday, as in yesterday. I watched it for the first time last night but not for very long as I was too tired.

This morning I turned it on to watch with my morning coffee and within minutes I saw a green circular spot maybe a foot from the right side of the screen. It's about 1/4" diameter. Below is a photo of the right side of the screen showing the spot ...

My first reaction was AAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH, I can't believe I am seeing this on day 2 of watching this brand new TV, and especially I can't believe I have to box this thing up and take it back and buy another and set THAT one up. It wasn't hard (the TV weighs only about 45 pounds), but it was just a pain and really awkward because of the size.

OK, here's a photo of the screen while The Americans was playing ... can you see the "blemish"?

I took that 2nd picture because I COULDN'T see the "blemish" (the other spots you may see are glare or lights). The actual blemish is visible when the screen is really dark in that area, but otherwise, you can't see it at all -- e.g., I know exactly where it is but unless the screen is very dark I still have to look very carefully to see it. So part of me is saying, "Karen, live with it, it's not a big deal."

BUT, on the other hand, I just got the TV and have used it for TWO DAYS!!!

The thing that worries me the most is the prospect of it getting larger. Already, if I look very closely, I can see another ~1/16"-1/8" connected to the first "blemish," which makes me wonder if more pixels are dying -- already.

Would you take it back? Is there anything I can do to get those pixels "back"? I'm frustrated and disappointed. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2018, 08:20 PM

6,865 posts, read 9,549,202 times
Return it. Even if the spot doesn't get bigger or more appear, you will be totally annoyed by it every time you turn on the TV.

Old 12-27-2018, 08:56 PM

7,459 posts, read 13,094,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
Return it. Even if the spot doesn't get bigger or more appear, you will be totally annoyed by it every time you turn on the TV.
Honestly, that's the answer I was expecting, and frankly that's the answer I kind of know is right ... it's just a pain in the butt to actually DO.

But thanks for the quick response!

Old 12-28-2018, 09:51 AM

295 posts, read 233,070 times
Looks like back light bleed. If so it'll never get better and there's a slight chance it can get worst. There may be a setting to remove temporary image retention in the menu. You can try that before returning it.

Old 12-30-2018, 03:28 PM

28,638 posts, read 40,617,860 times
Rub the area. Like a massage. If that doesn't work back it goes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics