U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2019, 09:09 PM

6,020 posts, read 2,748,363 times

Advertisements

I currently pay $0 per month for TV watching.

When I want to see a movie I go to the public library and check out a DVD, and watch it on the computer. I read books, practice my music, exercise, and that pretty much uses up my spare time since I also have to work for a living. I don't have time to take on the 20 hours per week mandatory TV watching.

The gym membership is something like $40 a month. Everything else costs nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2019, 09:15 AM

11,815 posts, read 13,954,365 times
Then why even comment? To lord it over us how you're so much better then us because you don't watch TV? Because that's how you come across. Thanks for adding nothing to this thread.

Old 01-31-2019, 09:29 AM

So when Buddha discovered that all those people were unhappy because they were caught up in desire, and he figured out that you could actually step outside the constant-desire loop, he should have just shut up and gone away because he wasn't adding anything to the conversation?

Because y'all are all running around with your knickers in a twist trying to figure out how to replicate the "entertainment" you get by paying monthly subscriptions, and there is another way.

Have you ever heard the story of the Gordian Knot?

Try something different for once. You might just like it.

Old 01-31-2019, 10:40 AM

4,581 posts, read 8,190,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv1985 View Post
For those of you who have cut the cord recently, what does your current entertainment package consist of after you dropped your cable provider, and how much does it cost you per month?

Thanks!
I actually just did this after the new year. Had cable/internet, netflix, and AMZN prime.
Cable/internet was $120 - Vzn Fios w/ 75/75 and basic cable w/ sports (2 STB).
Cut cable and upgraded broadband to 1 Gig for $80.

Of course, I'll end up paying the same once I add on a streaming package (fubo, Sling, or Hulu, etc.). But it would provide more value as I'm not tied to a contract and there are more options.

Old 02-01-2019, 06:06 AM

7,121 posts, read 3,891,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
I actually just did this after the new year. Had cable/internet, netflix, and AMZN prime.
Cable/internet was $120 - Vzn Fios w/ 75/75 and basic cable w/ sports (2 STB).
Cut cable and upgraded broadband to 1 Gig for $80.

Of course, I'll end up paying the same once I add on a streaming package (fubo, Sling, or Hulu, etc.). But it would provide more value as I'm not tied to a contract and there are more options.
Very similar to my situation. I started with Directv Now’s top package and may reduce depending on what gets watched.

Old 02-01-2019, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
So when Buddha discovered that all those people were unhappy because they were caught up in desire, and he figured out that you could actually step outside the constant-desire loop, he should have just shut up and gone away because he wasn't adding anything to the conversation?
Comparing yourself to Buddha? Thanks for trying to save us, I guess?!?

Quote:

Because y'all are all running around with your knickers in a twist trying to figure out how to replicate the "entertainment" you get by paying monthly subscriptions, and there is another way.
I don't think anyone's... knickers... are in a twist, old man.

Quote:
Really? Judgy McJudgerson? Because I like TV I don't try new things? lol

Old 02-01-2019, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Comparing yourself to Buddha? Thanks for trying to save us, I guess?!?

I don't think anyone's... knickers... are in a twist, old man.

Really? Judgy McJudgerson? Because I like TV I don't try new things? lol
Don't you need to go buy something?

Old 02-01-2019, 03:35 PM

bwahahaha

Don't you have more threads to go be useless in, Buddha?

Old 02-02-2019, 06:37 AM

10,160 posts, read 10,480,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Have you ever heard the story of the Gordian Knot?
The Gordian Knot is often used as a metaphor for an intractable problem (disentangling an "impossible" knot) solved easily by finding a loophole or thinking creatively (according to wikipedia).

I've always felt that it is a metaphor for something else. When some people are faced with a philosophical challenge they respond with brute stupidity.

I think that everyone who logs into this forum understands that the cheapest option for viewing video is (1) watch what you can see using a $10 antenna, (2) go to the library, (3) buy a $30 Roku and watch old movies interrupted with commercials on streaming free services like the Roku channel.

Old 02-02-2019, 07:56 AM

7,121 posts, read 3,891,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
The Gordian Knot is often used as a metaphor for an intractable problem (disentangling an "impossible" knot) solved easily by finding a loophole or thinking creatively (according to wikipedia).

I've always felt that it is a metaphor for something else. When some people are faced with a philosophical challenge they respond with brute stupidity.

I think that everyone who logs into this forum understands that the cheapest option for viewing video is (1) watch what you can see using a $10 antenna, (2) go to the library, (3) buy a $30 Roku and watch old movies interrupted with commercials on streaming free services like the Roku channel.
This came to mind

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or