U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2019, 04:27 PM

31,216 posts, read 48,309,005 times

Advertisements

I have an iPad that is 2nd generation
The operating system can’t be upgraded any longer
Some apps I can’t download because of that—like the Hulu streaming app

I got a new one from my kids for Xmas
My daughter wants to borrow my older one for her 6 yr old son to use when they go on vacation later this week
Driving to North Carolina and her tablet just went kaput...
She can use her phone’s hotspot for WiFi for him to steam videos...

I have games on my older iPad that he plays with bought via the Apple App site
I also have Amazon Prime for streaming and a Netflix app
HBOGo I have but signed out so he can’t access it
They can sign into their accounts and use those services

What can I do to protect things like my email accounts
If I delete them on the OLDER/FIRST one will I also delete anything from the same email accounts on the new iPad?
If I sign out of my ICloud then I lose all my photos (which should be mirrored on the new iPad I know)
I just don’t know if he will lose the games I bought through the App Store...

I can’t wipe this iPad because the current versions of some of these apps like the Prime Streaming and Netflix likely can’t be downloaded because my iOS is so outdated...

Suggestions???
And excuse me if this is like Toddler level info I am asking about
My daughter and her husband use Android phones/tablets although they have iCloud accounts because of their music accounts...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2019, 07:17 PM

28,450 posts, read 72,301,696 times
Default Basically just delete the email and then consider creating a "minor's account" with Family Sharing

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
I have an iPad that is 2nd generation
The operating system can’t be upgraded any longer
Some apps I can’t download because of that—like the Hulu streaming app

I got a new one from my kids for Xmas
My daughter wants to borrow my older one for her 6 yr old son to use when they go on vacation later this week
Driving to North Carolina and her tablet just went kaput...
She can use her phone’s hotspot for WiFi for him to steam videos...

I have games on my older iPad that he plays with bought via the Apple App site
I also have Amazon Prime for streaming and a Netflix app
HBOGo I have but signed out so he can’t access it
They can sign into their accounts and use those services

What can I do to protect things like my email accounts
If I delete them on the OLDER/FIRST one will I also delete anything from the same email accounts on the new iPad?
If I sign out of my ICloud then I lose all my photos (which should be mirrored on the new iPad I know)
I just don’t know if he will lose the games I bought through the App Store...

I can’t wipe this iPad because the current versions of some of these apps like the Prime Streaming and Netflix likely can’t be downloaded because my iOS is so outdated...

Suggestions???
And excuse me if this is like Toddler level info I am asking about
My daughter and her husband use Android phones/tablets although they have iCloud accounts because of their music accounts...

What you are proposing is actually a very valid situation. I would suggest deleting YOUR email account(s) like this -- How to Delete an Email Account from the iPhone and iPad

Then I would create an account for your grandson that will be managed by you -- https://www.mactip.net/create-family...e-id-for-kids/
This is the same process broken into more steps -- https://www.lifewire.com/create-appl...-child-1999120

Apple has this overview of the benefits of Family Sharing -- https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201088
Highlights:
  • Download eligible music, movies, TV shows, books, and apps from the iTunes, Apple Books, and App Store.
  • Share an iCloud storage plan to give everyone enough space for their photos, videos, documents, and more.
  • Find your family with the Find My Friends app. Choose when to share your location with your family members.
  • Help find family members' devices with the Find My iPhone app.
  • Manage your child's account, turn on Ask to Buy, or use Screen Time with Family Sharing. Children under 13** must join a Family Sharing group to use Game Center.
  • If you don't want to share the family photo album, calendar, or reminders, unsubscribe from them on your device, or on iCloud.com.
  • To share purchased content, you need to turn on Share My Purchases and use the iTunes Store in the same country or region as your family members.

Old 02-05-2019, 07:48 PM

Thanks
That “family sharing” only works with what you store on one specific iCloud account
The only thing I would want to share via iCloud are his game apps
I don’t buy movies or music through Apple
Use my Amazon account for movies — not into music except through Pandora

Guess I can delete my email accounts on this older iPad w/o risking anything on my iPhone or new iPad then...

I appreciate your help
Will share this with my daughter and SIL—he is pretty savvy

I am on my new iPad now but think my older version does allow for family sharing
Maybe they will want to scrub my data And create a family sharing account via one of their Apple ids on the older one...

Last edited by loves2read; 02-05-2019 at 08:02 PM..

Old 02-06-2019, 02:24 AM

40,169 posts, read 41,775,319 times
Personally I do a factory reset, install whatever the kid needs/wants so it's his. Might even be doing him a favor because it might have better performance. I would presume a factory reset includes securely wiping the storage so that any information that is stored on it like credit card numbers is gone. This is something you should do with any device, kid might lose it or whatever. Perhaps he is a very young hacker. LOL

Old 02-06-2019, 05:58 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,896 posts, read 33,625,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Personally I do a factory reset, install whatever the kid needs/wants so it's his.
I agree. Here are the instructions for how to do this.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201252

Be forewarned, though, that some apps you've downloaded from the App Store and still have on this iPad will go away and not be available to download again on it, because the old, compatible version is no longer available on the App Store. I learned this the hard way on my iPad 2.

Old 02-06-2019, 04:33 PM

I mentioned before that because of the iOS not updating some of the apps on here now would not come back
And some new ones won’t download
So I won’t do a factory reset

FWIW—
How can I delete photos on the old iPad w/o deleting them from the new one or ones shared on my phone—-
I have an iCloud storage account but don’t have access to the iTunes account where I did my original backups for the older iPad==so I can’t transfer photos on older one via iTunes

Some photos I don’t care about but some I don’t want to lose...

I detailed info on my NOTES app from the old iPad and had them gone from iPhone and new iPad—not what I thought would happen
I guess because the three are all on same iCloud/Apple account I have

Old 02-08-2019, 02:29 PM

7,121 posts, read 3,891,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
I mentioned before that because of the iOS not updating some of the apps on here now would not come back
And some new ones won’t download
So I won’t do a factory reset

FWIW—
How can I delete photos on the old iPad w/o deleting them from the new one or ones shared on my phone—-
I have an iCloud storage account but don’t have access to the iTunes account where I did my original backups for the older iPad==so I can’t transfer photos on older one via iTunes

Some photos I don’t care about but some I don’t want to lose...

I detailed info on my NOTES app from the old iPad and had them gone from iPhone and new iPad—not what I thought would happen
I guess because the three are all on same iCloud/Apple account I have
I would go to an Apple store at this point and get help. Too much can go wrong with the wrong key press.

I just cleared out an old 3rd generation (it was locked out and told me to try again in something like 32 million minutes). But that was via iTunes on a Mac and resetting it. I was able to download the last supported version of software, but that’s not guaranteed.

Old 02-09-2019, 12:42 AM

26,922 posts, read 33,852,851 times
You can delete apps and photos off your iPad without affecting another device. This is done ALL the time. I would absolutely do a reset - I'd never give my old tablet to anyone with my accounts and apps on there, no way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or