U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2019, 02:32 AM

35,115 posts, read 42,534,702 times

Advertisements

I have a small am/fm radio i listen to while in the dialysis chair,to date have been using a wired headset but it seems connectivity fails after a couple of weeks,would a wireless headset work?this is the radio i'm using -sangeant 180 am/fm unit =http://www.newteksupply.com/Sangean-...k_p_25937.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2019, 02:37 AM

39,793 posts, read 57,659,871 times
Wireless headphones work by connecting (pairing) with the device you want to use, through a radio or infrared signal. Many devices use Bluetooth technology to make connecting easier for the user. Devices with Bluetooth technology can connect and exchange data over very short distances using radio transmissions.
Wireless headphones will not work with your radio, because your radio doesn't have Bluetooth to pair with.

However, if you have smartphone, you could listen to a (phone) radio using wireless headphones.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee,
Minnesota, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Last edited by elnina; 02-10-2019 at 03:00 AM..

Old 02-14-2019, 12:12 PM

1,465 posts, read 600,232 times
You would have to buy a bluetooth transmitter like this https://www.amazon.com/TROND-Bluetoo...ll-spons&psc=1

and a pair of bluetooth earbuds. I bought one for my tv. Best thing I ever bought. Good luck.

Old 02-15-2019, 09:01 AM

4,448 posts, read 5,446,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I have a small am/fm radio i listen to while in the dialysis chair,to date have been using a wired headset but it seems connectivity fails after a couple of weeks,would a wireless headset work?this is the radio i'm using -sangeant 180 am/fm unit =Sangean DT-180 AM/FM Stereo Digital Tuning Pocket Radio (Black)
The thin cables in cheap wired headphones are not very durable. If you get a headphone extension cord, you can determine if you are breaking the wire near the plug or near the earpieces.

The wire of the bluetooth transmitter might also break and you have a dongle hanging off your radio.

All non-bluetooth wireless headphones I've seen require the base transmitter to have a power plug so it might be inconvenient.

I consider a new with bluetooth builtin , this one doesn't do AM. https://www.amazon.com/Avantree-Port.../dp/B01J3N8ICQ

I'm careful with my $1 headphones and they last years in my car.

Old 02-19-2019, 03:20 PM

1,074 posts, read 581,572 times
you could also try an old school RF headphone set. no pairing needed.

https://www.ebay.com/b/Wireless-RF-H...29/bn_81113362

Old 02-20-2019, 10:49 AM

5,530 posts, read 2,402,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I have a small am/fm radio i listen to while in the dialysis chair,to date have been using a wired headset but it seems connectivity fails after a couple of weeks,would a wireless headset work?
You say that your wired headset fails connectivity. That sounds like the headset wiring is going bad. Maybe you need to use an extension cord if it's getting pulled on (the most common reason for failure). Maybe also upgrade the headset you are using to one of better quality. You can check Amazon for reviews and reliable seen by others.

Wireless headphones use Bluetooth. But you'd need a radio with Bluetooth to send the signal to the headset.

Since you're listening to the radio with a headset, the easiest way is to improve the headset and cord situation. That would still be wired though, and not wireless.

As an alternative, you could by a FM radio headset and having everything in one package. You'd be wearing the radio.

Old 02-21-2019, 09:26 PM

1,299 posts, read 675,574 times
I have a similar question and didn't want to start a new thread. If I have bluetooth earbuds for use with my pixal smartphone, does wifi have to be available for the earbuds to work? I guess I'm asking for when I'm flying and do not want to pay for onboard (wireless) gogo.

Thanks!

Old 02-22-2019, 05:49 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,896 posts, read 33,625,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
I have a similar question and didn't want to start a new thread. If I have bluetooth earbuds for use with my pixal smartphone, does wifi have to be available for the earbuds to work?
Bluetooth uses the same frequencies as WiFi, but it is a separate service. You should not have to pay for WiFi to use Bluetooth headphones.

Old 03-12-2019, 05:49 PM

1,284 posts, read 449,798 times
Those home base/portable systems usually use 900 MHz wideband FM (~50 kHz bandwidth per channel IIRC). A neighbor had one some years ago I and used to pick it up on my old Realistic PRO2004 around 913-915 MHz in WFM mode. Some very old systems use 29 or 49 MHz but all I've personally worked with use 900.

I think you might actually still be able to get those from various places, I have a couple old transmitters from such a system I got hold of about 10 years ago and used one with an external aerial to broadcast two channels of mono audio to the neighborhood. Fun times.

Old 03-15-2019, 05:10 PM

16,723 posts, read 29,305,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
I have a similar question and didn't want to start a new thread. If I have bluetooth earbuds for use with my pixal smartphone, does wifi have to be available for the earbuds to work? I guess I'm asking for when I'm flying and do not want to pay for onboard (wireless) gogo.

Thanks!
Keep in mind reading the latest medical news about wireless earbuds. Bluetooth and other earbuds that are inserted in the ear, and the danger associated, are being discussed in recent news in recent days. Perhaps they aren't harmful, but better being safe than sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics