U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2019, 11:40 PM

2,257 posts, read 3,101,215 times

Advertisements

i'm looking for a basic, good quality player that supports both blu-ray & dvd's. any suggestions? i'd like to keep the price under $225
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2019, 01:24 AM

3,823 posts, read 5,985,273 times
If all you want it to do is play Blu-rays and DVDs, this one is excellent: https://smile.amazon.com/LG-UBK80-Ul...A1W0Z2J0VMH57P

It has no wifi connectivity, so it doesn't do streaming. If you don't need it for streaming, why pay extra for it?

Old 03-29-2019, 10:40 AM

3,973 posts, read 2,619,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8lite View Post
i'm looking for a basic, good quality player that supports both blu-ray & dvd's. any suggestions? i'd like to keep the price under $225
You did not specify. HD (1080p) or UHD (4k)?

Old 03-29-2019, 01:02 PM

i had looked at the LG UBK80 on amazon, until i got the comment about it not showing how much time is left in the movie. not a deal breaker, but it would be nice to have.

i didn't specify HD or UHD because i don't know. i want to be able to put movies in & watch them, with no random stuttering during the movie.

Old 03-29-2019, 04:07 PM

3,823 posts, read 5,985,273 times
Quote:
i had looked at the LG UBK80 on amazon, until i got the comment about it not showing how much time is left in the movie. not a deal breaker, but it would be nice to have.

i didn't specify HD or UHD because i don't know. i want to be able to put movies in & watch them, with no random stuttering during the movie.
Press the info button on the remote and you will see the elapsed playing time and the total length of the movie, then a little simple mental arithmetic will tell you how much time is left in the movie.

Old 03-29-2019, 07:44 PM

6,865 posts, read 9,546,853 times
If you have a 4k TV, you should get a 4k player.

Old 04-03-2019, 03:23 PM
Status: "living in a political world, where mercy walks the plank" (set 14 days ago)

21,733 posts, read 22,544,107 times
Quote:

bought the UBK90 from Best Buy for $250 within the past 6 mos and like it. It has 4K Ultra HD capabilities, WIFI, etc. I like being able to plug a memory stick into it and the ability to navigate and display the music folders and album selections.

Has the ability to up-convert older DVDS and even discs burned from an old DVR seem sharper than I recall them being before...but who knows.

Can't really see the display anyways because it is in an AV cabinet but a quick pause will display movie time remaining.

Old 04-03-2019, 10:55 PM

to be fair, a/v ain't my cuppa tea. all those letters make my eyes go cross eyed. i generally let hubby handle this, but i decided to be bold this time around. well, that didn't work out in my favor

my existing home entertainment consists of:

tv = samsung
https://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs...650DFXZA-specs

blu ray/dvd player = samsung
https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-BD-C5.../dp/B000B60H0G

surround sound = bose
https://www.bose.com/en_us/support/p...pport/wms.html

the blu ray/dvd player was a hand-me-down & worked great until about this last month. it became fussy as to when & what it would play. so i purchased a blu ray/dvd player = lg ubk90 as a replacement model
https://www.lg.com/us/home-video/lg-...blu-ray-player

1) while trying to connect it, i realized DUH, there's no audio hookups. ok, no biggie, we'll live without surround sound.
2) it plays the blu rays perfectly fine. it does not, however, play well with my tv:
* i cannot adjust the volume while the movie is playing.
* i cannot stop the movie, go back to tv, adjust the volume, start the movie again & have the sound stick. it's like it has it's own idea of how loud/soft it's going to play the movie.
* when i am done watching the movie, i cannot get back to watching regular tv again without throwing the remote in anger.

for everyone's safety, it is going back to the store & i'm on the hunt again for a replacement unit. so far what i'm finding is a little out of my comfy price range - the one that i found that looks like what i need is close to $500!!! i'll stop by the closest fry's electronics next week & see what they can do for me.

Old 04-04-2019, 06:00 AM
Status: "living in a political world, where mercy walks the plank" (set 14 days ago)

21,733 posts, read 22,544,107 times
Quote:
to be fair, a/v ain't my cuppa tea. all those letters make my eyes go cross eyed. i generally let hubby handle this, but i decided to be bold this time around. well, that didn't work out in my favor
lg ubk90 as a replacement model
https://www.lg.com/us/home-video/lg-...blu-ray-player

1) while trying to connect it, i realized DUH, there's no audio hookups. ok, no biggie, we'll live without surround sound.
2) it plays the blu rays perfectly fine. it does not, however, play well with my tv:
* i cannot adjust the volume while the movie is playing.
* i cannot stop the movie, go back to tv, adjust the volume, start the movie again & have the sound stick. it's like it has it's own idea of how loud/soft it's going to play the movie.
* when i am done watching the movie, i cannot get back to watching regular tv again without throwing the remote in anger.
I have the exact same model and none of those issues apply to me, I control the volume through my JBL soundbar but you should be able to adjust the volume with the TV remote.

I think you should be connecting the Blu-ray directly to the TV through an HDMI cable

Last edited by Ghengis; 04-04-2019 at 07:03 AM..

Old 04-04-2019, 10:48 AM

i am connecting the tv to the blu ray with an hdmi cable
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics