U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2019, 07:55 PM

2,903 posts, read 1,126,067 times

Advertisements

I've had a few issues now and then in the past, and it was long hard (and still somewhat is, though I think it's getting clearer what the cause might be) to figure out the cause. At first, the issues were just happening with library disks where it would lock up, skip, or not even play the thing (though it would play the previews.) Sometimes, the player would also make a loud noise.

I had some DVDs that worked just fine as a January (and still work fine on other players) but now either are rarely recognized by the DVD player/hard drive notification thing in My PC (under drive D) (where they'd play maybe once or so, despite cleaning both the disks and putting a cleaning disk in the driver.

There have been other oddities too, like it skipping on movies it shouldn't, like Incredibles 2 (which just came out) or The Good Dinosaur.

Also, a set of movies that worked just fine this January now only have half working at all on my player and the other half some work and some only sometimes, but, as far as I can guess, ALL of them work on other players and computers.

Also, the humming sound I hear, even when it does play, seems to be getting more constant.

I know that I had a motherboard replaced recently (it was due to a bad charger spot on the end that was causing the thing not to charge anymore, and apparently they had to replace the whole thing.) I don't think the DVD part was replaced, but it's possible that something is incompatible with the new one, though some of the issues were present beforehand.

I still have a warranty but don't know if DVD players are covered (I know batteries, for instance, are NOT covered, so I cannot say whether or not it's the player going bad, if the player is just pickier than others on recognizing DVDs and being dirt/scratch sensitive, if perhaps there is another way to clean it besides getting a cleaning disk from Staples.

Granted, I'd almost say that it might be the age of the film, as it seems to happen more often with movies older than five years, but it's happening to disks that are likely younger than three years and it's happening to disks that worked as late as January 2019.

I strongly believe it's a flaw in the player and not the, greatly increasing, amount of disks, but I'm not sure if somehow it's still too dirty or if it simply needs to be replaced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2019, 09:00 PM

18,507 posts, read 55,427,357 times
It needs to be replaced. Optical drives are known for short lifespans and less than stellar quality control. I've had to return out-of-box drives that didn't work.

Old 03-29-2019, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
It needs to be replaced. Optical drives are known for short lifespans and less than stellar quality control. I've had to return out-of-box drives that didn't work.
They must have gone downhill in the past 10 years. I NEVER had to worry too much about the player on my original Dell laptop but it seems that the HP I got after that one plus this recent Dell have both ran into DVD player problems.

Old 03-29-2019, 10:58 PM

What is weird is that when I got to hardware and check CD, etc, it says "This device is working properly."

However, I think it's said that too about hard drives even when they were clearly having problems.

Old 03-30-2019, 03:20 AM

40,169 posts, read 41,775,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
What is weird is that when I got to hardware and check CD, etc, it says "This device is working properly."

That humming sound will occur under normal conditions with off balance disc or if you put a label on one side, if you are hearing this all the time that would indicate the physical mechanism is off balance or has some other issue like a bad bearing causing it to be off balance. This would also cause the read issues you are experiencing. The computer would not have any clue about that.

Old 04-01-2019, 04:36 PM

It's possible. When they did a diagnostic test today, they didn't find anything even from the F12 diagnostics. At one point, it seemed that they found that the OS was somehow continually updating the driver, so that the driver was new and the hardware outdated. They tried to fix it so that it would go back to how it was originally so that it wouldn't be outdated, but somehow that fix didn't work. They suggested that either I have the OS reset or I have the hardware replaced. I chose the latter (resetting the OS is, to me, the same pain as if I'd have a hard drive crash.) Even if it was a software issue, if it's driver incompatability, maybe new hardware would make it more compatible.

Old 04-02-2019, 09:42 PM

197 posts, read 74,810 times
On my Dell laptop, I had to update (one-time update) a couple of PC registry entries to get the DVD player to work. Otherwise, the laptop would lock up if put a DVD in. In this situation it had something to do with upper and lower limits in the registry entries for the CD/DVD software. I had to Google it to find the specific code to update for my model. **Warning, Warning** - if you update your PC/laptop's registry at the Start, Run command line after typing regedit, and you do not know what you are doing and mess up the registry, it could prevent the PC/laptop from starting and you possibly have to rebuild it.

Old 04-02-2019, 10:59 PM

I'm increasingly thinking Dell was right about the OS. Today, I ran into a new problem. When trying to make new folders in a folder where I'd been sending recorded audio and where it was getting a little cluttered, I tried to create a new folder but as soon as I hovered over "New", the CPU went high up and explorer locked up and many times would crash. So I restarted and it still was giving me the problem, though one time I got a respite and was able to create a new folder, which I could then copy and store stuff in and could copy from now on to make new folders if I needed to. However, I cannot even create a new folder from the desktop as the same problem happens if I hover over "New" there as well.

explorer.exe and Service Host State Repository seem to be the programs going high up in CPU.

I'm wondering if this means that the OS is having issues and if that is also causing the DVD issues.

I swear, the people who designed Windows 10 must have been the same ones that designed the original healthcare.gov!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or