U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2019, 11:53 PM

373 posts, read 111,850 times

Advertisements

TCL 55X2US; 55inch Android, UHD QLED LCD TV, top of their range.

IN late 2017 I became aware of Sony's new display technology, called OLED (Organic Light Emitting Diode)

Saw an example in a local store and was impressed. A 55inch was over $A3000. I liked the TV, but not $3000 of like.

Later in the year I became aware of Samsung's response,QLED . (Quantum Dot Light Emitting Diode) The picture quality seemed close to OLED to me. Came across an Android version on Ebay. A TCL 55inch was $A1498T, which included delivery and free wall mount . Plus $70 cash back.

I bought one in Oct 2017 ,and loved it, still do.

The TV came with Android preinstalled. I also like that. Plus UHD 4K

Samsung has joined with Hisense and TCL, so this is Samsung technology.. Also worth noting that TCL is the fastest growing TV company in the world, especially noticeable in the US.

The QLED TV remains an LCD TV with back light, unlike the Sony OLED, which has no back light. Its light comes from individual pixels. This, means it gives a perfect black, something the QLED does not give. This means the picture should be much crisper.

Have seen both systems operating side by side. There WAS difference, but it was minimal, certainly not worth double the price, to me. Have also compared both sets with UHD 4K. No dramatic difference

After nearly 18 months, my conclusion is that I was suckered by hyperbole. Yes, the TV is noticeably better than my old plasma. (which I still have, and have compared) What it is not, is a revolutionary difference.

A word about TCL customer service: It took me 10 months to get the cash back. As is common with cash back offers, the company deliberately makes the process as difficult as possible. This tactic works; I read that overall, only 20% of all cash back offers are redeemed.

I also had a glitch for which I tried to use the 3 year warrantee. I found the customer service most unhelpful. Same tactic as with the cash back offer. After a lot of messing around, I managed to fix the problem at my own expense.

CONCLUSION: I do not recommend TCL as a company due to poor customer service, although the product is fine. . Nor do I recommend OLED or QLED TV's at this point. Perhaps once the technology has been around for 3--5 years, if it is a lot cheaper . Right now, not good value imo.

IF you want to buy a new TV, I suggest buying a good quality UHD 4K TV. Oh, don't bother with 8K; as far as I'm aware, it's just another gimmick. As I understand it, the human cannot see above 4K.

DISCLAIMER: I have written this review as a consumer, in good faith, to provide other consumers with perhaps a staring point . I do not claim expert technical knowledge.I urge you to check any technical claims I have made if you are thinking on acting on anything I have written here.

The preceding is my opinion only ,which I freely admit is pretty subjective. I will not enter into an argument about what I have written.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2019, 09:23 AM

11,844 posts, read 13,973,633 times
So you don't recommend them based solely on the fact it took 10 months to get your $70?!?
Am I clear on that?

Old 04-06-2019, 04:55 PM

373 posts, read 111,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
So you don't recommend them based solely on the fact it took 10 months to get your $70?!?
Am I clear on that?
No, of course not, although it really ticked me off.

My TV developed a fault. There is a three year warrantee . I found their customer service most unhelpful. They didn't actually refuse to honour the warrantee, but but kept demanding I try tests and provide information I had already done, provided, more than once. It was very frustrating.

Eventually had a techie friend help me fix it

The TV itself is pretty good, but it's still under warrantee.

My review is based on my experience as a consumer.IE it's my OPINION. I can't in conscience recommend TCL products because of the the poor customer service I experienced. If you think I over reacted, by all means look at some on line reviews of TCL customer service.

I have nothing more to say on this topic,

Old 04-07-2019, 09:40 AM

7,178 posts, read 3,924,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Am I clear on that?
Plus OP is based in Australia. A lot of the cost equation may not be applicable to the US. OLED is now at the point here where it’s just a moderate premium over a good LCD.

I have a couple of TCL TVs with built in Roku (one in home gym, one in guest bedroom.) For their purpose they work just fine.

Last edited by markjames68; 04-07-2019 at 10:24 AM..

Old 04-07-2019, 11:37 AM

2,313 posts, read 1,581,796 times
Ok, your tv set "had a fault" and you fixed it. Seems to me you should tell us what that fault was that they wouldn't cover, and what you did to fix it.

You might just help out untold numbers of Google searchers for that problem.

Thank you.

Old 04-08-2019, 08:20 AM

11,844 posts, read 13,973,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by c charlie View Post
My review is based on my experience as a consumer.IE it's my OPINION.
Yea, that's pretty much what all reviews are. I get that.

Quote:
I can't in conscience recommend TCL products because of the the poor customer service I experienced. If you think I over reacted, by all means look at some on line reviews of TCL customer service.
Yea, and there are 100's of crappy reviews out there because Samsung, LG, Sony all had bad customer experiences, too. Name one company that has great customer service. That would be more helpful lol.
Just saying... I don't base my purchases on support services anymore because they all suck.
Quote:
I have nothing more to say on this topic
Well isn't that a great attitude...

Old 04-12-2019, 09:32 AM

160 posts, read 37,604 times
LG has had OLED's out for years, way before Sony. They are currently priced below Samsung QLED and should be the starting point for anyone looking at new TV's in this day and age.

Old 04-16-2019, 12:58 PM

7,178 posts, read 3,924,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabaman View Post
LG has had OLED's out for years, way before Sony. They are currently priced below Samsung QLED and should be the starting point for anyone looking at new TV's in this day and age.
I believe Sony doesn’t make OLED TV panels. In fact, for large (i.e. TV-sized) ones I think the sole supplier is LG - which explains their market presence and the lack of Samsung playing in OLED.

Old 04-20-2019, 04:01 PM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
2,366 posts, read 963,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by c charlie View Post
TCL 55X2US; 55inch Android, UHD QLED LCD TV, top of their range.

IN late 2017 I became aware of Sony's new display technology, called OLED (Organic Light Emitting Diode)

Saw an example in a local store and was impressed. A 55inch was over $A3000. I liked the TV, but not $3000 of like.

Later in the year I became aware of Samsung's response,QLED . (Quantum Dot Light Emitting Diode) The picture quality seemed close to OLED to me. Came across an Android version on Ebay. A TCL 55inch was $A1498T, which included delivery and free wall mount . Plus $70 cash back.

I bought one in Oct 2017 ,and loved it, still do.

The TV came with Android preinstalled. I also like that. Plus UHD 4K

Samsung has joined with Hisense and TCL, so this is Samsung technology.. Also worth noting that TCL is the fastest growing TV company in the world, especially noticeable in the US.

The QLED TV remains an LCD TV with back light, unlike the Sony OLED, which has no back light. Its light comes from individual pixels. This, means it gives a perfect black, something the QLED does not give. This means the picture should be much crisper.

Have seen both systems operating side by side. There WAS difference, but it was minimal, certainly not worth double the price, to me. Have also compared both sets with UHD 4K. No dramatic difference

After nearly 18 months, my conclusion is that I was suckered by hyperbole. Yes, the TV is noticeably better than my old plasma. (which I still have, and have compared) What it is not, is a revolutionary difference.

A word about TCL customer service: It took me 10 months to get the cash back. As is common with cash back offers, the company deliberately makes the process as difficult as possible. This tactic works; I read that overall, only 20% of all cash back offers are redeemed.

I also had a glitch for which I tried to use the 3 year warrantee. I found the customer service most unhelpful. Same tactic as with the cash back offer. After a lot of messing around, I managed to fix the problem at my own expense.

CONCLUSION: I do not recommend TCL as a company due to poor customer service, although the product is fine. . Nor do I recommend OLED or QLED TV's at this point. Perhaps once the technology has been around for 3--5 years, if it is a lot cheaper . Right now, not good value imo.

IF you want to buy a new TV, I suggest buying a good quality UHD 4K TV. Oh, don't bother with 8K; as far as I'm aware, it's just another gimmick. As I understand it, the human cannot see above 4K.

DISCLAIMER: I have written this review as a consumer, in good faith, to provide other consumers with perhaps a staring point . I do not claim expert technical knowledge.I urge you to check any technical claims I have made if you are thinking on acting on anything I have written here.

The preceding is my opinion only ,which I freely admit is pretty subjective. I will not enter into an argument about what I have written.
Did you have the picture calibrated - or at least set to any pic. mode other than 'Vivid' or 'Dynamic'?

Old 04-24-2019, 02:17 PM

212 posts, read 52,807 times
i have three TCL t.v's in my home in guest rooms with the roku built in there 3 years old and never any issues
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or