U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2019, 05:07 PM

9,054 posts, read 6,389,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Fair point but you made a generic statement about VGA “just working”. There’s a reason why you don’t see many VGA connections anymore.
You've quoted something I didn't say. I'm here to try to help the OP, so I'd suggest you go look for an argument somewhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2019, 06:36 PM

4,448 posts, read 5,446,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Per the link in the original post, it is 1080P.
I followed the link this is what I saw:

•High definition (720p) resolution

about the living room TV

My bad

Old 04-10-2019, 06:41 PM

1,392 posts, read 738,792 times
I think it's your computer more than a problem with the TV itself.

Old 04-11-2019, 08:36 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,896 posts, read 33,625,390 times
At some point in the connection process, the computer and the TV have to negotiate before a compatible signal will pass through. As someone posted above, this process may only happen if the monitor is connected when the computer powers up, and it may require the TV to be connected and powered-up or connected and not powered-up. Trial and error will reveal whether any of these combinations will work.

It's also remotely possible that the output of the computer doesn't support any resolutions that the TV supports, in which case, the combination will never work. If that's the case, the solution will be to replace one of the two and make sure there is a match in supported resolutions between the replacement and the device you're continuing to use.

Old 04-13-2019, 08:19 PM

21,540 posts, read 24,664,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nedergras View Post
I think it's your computer more than a problem with the TV itself.
No, I've had it happen on Toshiba, Samsung and Sharp TV's. None of them recognized a computer. Yet a low end TCL did. I've tried playing with the resolutions by connecting the computer to a monitor, but it didn't help.

Old 04-24-2019, 12:57 PM

169 posts, read 150,388 times
Yay! the VGA I just brought worked. The new TV is working perfectly fine as a monitor now. I'm shocked at the HDMI sucking like that though.

Old 04-24-2019, 01:16 PM

9,054 posts, read 6,389,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasy09 View Post
Yay! the VGA I just brought worked. The new TV is working perfectly fine as a monitor now. I'm shocked at the HDMI sucking like that though.
Glad to hear it. Thanks for the update!

Old 05-08-2019, 08:09 PM

Now another issue.

Since I did the VGA fix I thought everything was fine. However, today I finally did something that required sound and nothing came out. It's telling me I need speakers. This is a TV(with built in speakers) not a real computer monitor so why do I need outside ones?

Old 05-08-2019, 11:41 PM

4,448 posts, read 5,446,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasy09 View Post
Now another issue.

Since I did the VGA fix I thought everything was fine. However, today I finally did something that required sound and nothing came out. It's telling me I need speakers. This is a TV(with built in speakers) not a real computer monitor so why do I need outside ones?
The VGA cable does not carry audio. That TV appears to have an audio input that looks like a 3.5mm , so you'll need a 3.5mm to 3.5mm male male cable to connect from your PC to your TV to use the speaker of the TV.

Old 05-08-2019, 11:55 PM

Now I just messed up the VGA output as well.

I frustratingly decided to run to the store and buy speakers. However,on a whim I decided to try one more thing to see if HDMI would work.

I went to resolution in the control panel. There were two monitors shown. One that said E24,an another that said VGA. I clicked on something that said extend this display to just the E24 monitor. I then restarted. The HDMI finally worked. Sound and all.

Then I messed everything up.

I noticed that whatever I did might have made the HDMI output finally work but some of the icons were cut off the screen so I right clicked on just a random part of the screen that listed a bunch of things about the resolution. I clicked Display and the entire TV went black.

I kept hopping between HMDI and VGA trying to get the miracle HDMI signal back when all of sudden the VGA went out to. Now it just shows a black screen with a red line going down the right side of it.

However, the VGA(not HDMI though)works in SAFE MODE,but only that. If I try to go back into regular mode it won't work.

What have I done and how do I fix it? I just want the VGA back at this point. God I literally just brought this TV and all of this is happening.

Also if it matters that one time I got the HDMI to work the VGA output was hooked up as well.

Also wondering if a system restore would work?

Last edited by fantasy09; 05-09-2019 at 01:21 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or