U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2019, 07:59 AM

170 posts, read 151,047 times

Advertisements

Last night I just tried to set up a new TV I brought solely to use as a computer monitor. However, no picture will come through. The set up is through HDMI cord from the TV to the computer. The HDMI cord I use is not even a year old yet.

At first I could at least see my background picture.However, no icons at all would emerge. So then I turned the computer and the TV off.

I then turned them back on,but starting with the TV first. It showed my computer booting up logo,and then nothing but a blank screen.

Sound still came through both times however.

The TV I recently brought,and currently having issues with.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sceptre-2...6BV-F/46867814

The HDMI cord I use.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/6-FT-HDMI...HDTV/145298819

I had to re hook up my living room tv to the computer to even type this. I knew I should of went with my first mind and brought an actual computer monitor that has the option of VGA, and not just the increasingly annoying HDMI,but I thought if my living room tv works as one then buying another tv to use strictly for a monitor would work as well.

Ridiculous as this sounds I'm actually wondering does my living room tv being a Smart TV have something to do with its HDMI working as a computer monitor.

Living Room TV.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/TCL-32-Cl...S321/712021234

My Computer is a Lenevo H420 Desktop. Windows 7 OS. Integrated graphics card.

Edit: Okay something really weird has now happened with the living room TV I'm currently using as monitor. There are three HDMI hookups on this TV. I use the first one. Just now the picture completely disappeared. However, in its place was static but with colors. Like those colorblind charts.
I had to hook it up the second HDMI component so the picture could even come back in. This has never happened before. My living room TV has been impeccable as a computer monitor. Now since the HDMI weirdness with the other tv last night this one now seems like it wants to act up as well. Like wires are now crossed or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2019, 03:01 PM

9,086 posts, read 6,400,707 times
I've experienced all kinds of issues with HDMI connections from different computers to my Samsung monitor. What I've determined is that....
  1. I must turn on my computer first and then the monitor after it boots.
  2. If I still have a blank or flickering gray screen (very rarely), unplug the monitor power cable and plug it back in after a few seconds.
Adhering to the order in step 1 almost always prevents the problem. Try it with your TV and see if it helps. Also, given the problem you describe in your edit, I suggest you unplug your TV's power for a few seconds to give it a fresh boot on next startup.

HDMI seems to be much more finicky than the old trouble-free VGA connections.

Old 04-07-2019, 10:29 AM

7,178 posts, read 3,924,505 times
You’re using the cheapest of the cheap TVs so it’s possible that there are handshake issues between the computer and TV that aren’t getting resolved. I have a higher end Sony TV as a gaming monitor and have zero issues. A Smart TV may have higher end components in the input path.

As to VGA being more trouble free, it’s an analog signal. While you may lose quality if you have lousy signal/bad cables you will see something unlike digital connections where other factors are at play.

Old 04-09-2019, 11:06 PM

170 posts, read 151,047 times
I'm just going to buy a VGA cable and see if that works. If not I'm just going to send the whole TV back and get an actual computer monitor. This is annoying though. I honestly thought HDMI was supposed to be beyond reproach.

Old 04-10-2019, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasy09 View Post
I'm just going to buy a VGA cable and see if that works. If not I'm just going to send the whole TV back and get an actual computer monitor. This is annoying though. I honestly thought HDMI was supposed to be beyond reproach.
You should be fine with VGA. My experience is that there's not a nickel's worth of difference between VGA and HDMI in picture quality anyway. I always had great results using VGA....with none of the HDMI nonsense you're learning of.

What I would not do is buy an "actual computer monitor" under the assumption that doing so will solve HDMI problems. As I said, I use a Samsung S22E310 and had all kinds of HDMI trouble with it prior to settling into the boot routine I described earlier. And with 2 different laptops - the HP I'm using now and a Lenovo before that. I ended up returning the Lenovo because I could not get it to work reliably and consistently with HDMI and it had no VGA output.

For umpteen years using VGA connections, I had always turned on my monitor first and then my computer. Just common sense. I stumbled upon the need to do the opposite with HDMI after many hours of frustration with my current HP laptop. In hindsight, my hunch is that doing the same with the Lenovo I had would have solved the problem. Too bad I didn't know....and hours on the phone with Lenovo tech support was a complete waste of time. They had no clue as to how to solve the problem.

Old 04-10-2019, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
You should be fine with VGA. My experience is that there's not a nickel's worth of difference between VGA and HDMI in picture quality anyway. I always had great results using VGA....with none of the HDMI nonsense you're learning of.
At 1024x768 or 1366x768 I’d agree. Maybe even up to 1920x1080. At some point above 1080p I’d suspect that the analog to digital converter in the monitor will not keep up, so you’d get a lower refresh rate which will be noticeable.

Old 04-10-2019, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
At 1024x768 or 1366x768 I’d agree. Maybe even up to 1920x1080. At some point above 1080p I’d suspect that the analog to digital converter in the monitor will not keep up, so you’d get a lower refresh rate which will be noticeable.
Which is irrelevant to the OP's situation.

Old 04-10-2019, 03:32 PM

4,448 posts, read 5,452,894 times
The OP's TV is 720p. I wonder if the computer is trying to send 1080 via HDMI and that is why it is failing. Maybe it was setup as an extended monitor with the VGA port being monitor #1 and that is where all the icons went.

Old 04-10-2019, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
The OP's TV is 720p. I wonder if the computer is trying to send 1080 via HDMI and that is why it is failing. Maybe it was setup as an extended monitor with the VGA port being monitor #1 and that is where all the icons went.
Per the link in the original post, it is 1080P.

Old 04-10-2019, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Which is irrelevant to the OP's situation.
Fair point but you made a generic statement about VGA “just working”. There’s a reason why you don’t see many VGA connections anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or