U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2019, 11:17 AM

10,160 posts, read 10,480,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
Good to know, since the info you quoted in the original post mentioned Insignia Roku TV in the first sentence. To give you a solution, we're going to need to know the brand and model of the TV you have, since the answer is going to be specific to that brand and model.
I was quoting a question in a forum, and I said I had the same problem. I didn't say I had a Roku TV. The TV is an Insignia NS-19E310A13 which is a standard HD television.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2019, 09:41 PM

6,865 posts, read 9,538,404 times
I have a Samsung and a Vizio. When either one is turned on, they go to the input that was last used.

Old 04-14-2019, 07:49 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,896 posts, read 33,625,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
I was quoting a question in a forum, and I said I had the same problem. I didn't say I had a Roku TV. The TV is an Insignia NS-19E310A13 which is a standard HD television.
The manual for the TV is posted online at https://files.bbystatic.com/3RpzqzXD...i0iAaRkQ%3D%3D

There are 57 instances of the word "source" in that manual and nowhere around them does it specify that it can be set to a default at power on. I don't see in the manual that you can specify a default source.

But I have 2 suggestions to make it easier for your family to select the input they want to use, based on the manual.
  1. On p.23 it mentions that the remote that comes with the TV has Quick input selection buttons. Encourage your family to use those, because they're simpler than scrolling through the menu. Here's the exact sentence from the manual. "You can also press a Quick Launch Input button to select the video input source."
  2. If the TV is unpredictably switching to different inputs, make sure HDMI CEC is turned off. The process to do that is on p.45. If you want to make the TV automatically switch to an HDMI source when it turns on, leave HDMI CEC turned on.

Old 04-14-2019, 07:58 AM

6,502 posts, read 6,251,465 times
I didn't even know about auto input sensing. My TV just defaults to the last active input. It could be that the default for the TV is for auto input sensing to be on. If there is any way you could reset the TV to factory defaults, that may solve your problem.

Old 04-15-2019, 04:41 AM

10,160 posts, read 10,480,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
The manual for the TV is posted online at https://files.bbystatic.com/3RpzqzXD...i0iAaRkQ%3D%3D

There are 57 instances of the word "source" in that manual and nowhere around them does it specify that it can be set to a default at power on. I don't see in the manual that you can specify a default source.

But I have 2 suggestions to make it easier for your family to select the input they want to use, based on the manual.
  1. On p.23 it mentions that the remote that comes with the TV has Quick input selection buttons. Encourage your family to use those, because they're simpler than scrolling through the menu. Here's the exact sentence from the manual. "You can also press a Quick Launch Input button to select the video input source."
  2. If the TV is unpredictably switching to different inputs, make sure HDMI CEC is turned off. The process to do that is on p.45. If you want to make the TV automatically switch to an HDMI source when it turns on, leave HDMI CEC turned on.
Thanks, I have already downloaded the manual. I did search on all the words source and input

The remote on p.23 is not the one that comes with the TV. That does help but my father doesn't like to change remotes from the cable remote.

The cable box is CEC compliant, so leaving the TV on CEC doesn't help. I have to use the cable box that is supplied

Old 04-16-2019, 09:09 AM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
2,364 posts, read 957,197 times
Question begs to ask:

Did any of you go through the 'Initial Setup' or configuration when you first unboxed the TV and physically connected everything up?

This might solve a lot of these source selection issues many of you seem to be having, especially those of you with smart sets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics